Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

1998 Honda Civic Vent Control Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Honda Civic Vent Control Question

Hello there, I've had this problem for a while on my vent control. If I press the "Face" button, everything is normal, but when I do the "Feet" option, my center two vents would shut off and the airflow would be directed towards the floor, however, the side two face vents are still on. I'm not sure if it's just a weird design or if one of the flaps has malfunctioned. I'm going to be replacing my climate control control assembly on the dashboard soon because one of the buttons is broken. I have to hold it down hard at a certain angle for it to work. If I can get some help with this issue, if it is or not, that would be wonderful! Thank you!
Old 07-04-2013, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Re: 1998 Honda Civic Vent Control Question

Side vents are always on. It's normal.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

x2. Side vents are not controlled by the climate control panel. If you want it closed, manually scroll the damper for each side. Your climate control button might just be dirty and need some cleaning. Try spraying the switch with electrical contact cleaner.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my 96 civic does weird crap with the climate control too..

for example, to make the air blow out at "face" i have to have it on defrost mode. if i press face mode it makes the air come out at the windshield for defrost... very odd, we just deal with it and always remember they are backwards
Old 07-05-2013, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone know how to convert to the 99 00 climate control.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sleepyaccord96
my 96 civic does weird crap with the climate control too..

for example, to make the air blow out at "face" i have to have it on defrost mode. if i press face mode it makes the air come out at the windshield for defrost... very odd, we just deal with it and always remember they are backwards
Readjust the control mode mechanism. Its a little above the gas pedal. Can't take pictures now cause it's 8pm now in here and pretty dark. Have a peek and you will see the mechanism move from end to end when you switch from face mode to defrost mode and vise versa. Once the air is blowing to your face( mode button on defrost), loosen the bolt holding the rotating mechanism. Manually slide by hand the plate that has the irregular "S" shape in it until the rotating mechanism reach on the other end of the "S".Air should now be blowing to the glass. Tighten everything back and test the face and defrost mode. If the mechanism is not fully reaching the both ends of the "S", you might need to do a little more adjustment.

Changing to another climate control panel will not change the performance of the vents.