Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

New AEM "COP" Pencil Coils!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 11:22 PM
FSAE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Bisimoto)

Bisi,

So the primary operating difference between the Nippon/Denso coils and the AEM Pencil Coils are the secondary coil's ability to withstand the voltage of a CDI box more reliably?

Currently we are running CBR600 coils in their "proper" inductive form, but limit our dwell to 2500μs due to their fragile nature. We have ran, and know of people who have ran CBR coils to 3500-4500μs dwell range, and consequently have coils burn up. Would you say that the AEM Pencil Coils have upgraded internals that might allow them to operate in an inductive application at a higher dwell?

Another question you might help clear up for me. It has been my thought, from both teaching and reading, that Inductive (long dwell) ignitions are superior to Capacitive Discharge Ignitions and actually promote a faster and more efficient burn when used in an engine with good mixture motion. If you are running a very slow burning fluel like Methanol, I can see where CDI may offer an advantage due to the shear spark intensity allowing the first kernel propogation to expand at a faster rate. In short, wouldn't it be more beneficial for the typical user of a AEM Pencil Coil and EPM to run the coils in an inductive form?

The two new products look great. I can't wait to see how they perform.

Regards
Old 04-09-2008, 04:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (tunedbycft)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tunedbycft &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">We have ours on the Red Hatch already, will be testing them tomorrow!!!

Fernando @ CFT</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do you run the short or the long coils CFT?
Old 04-09-2008, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (92TypeR)

The age old question, CDI or Inductive.

There's a good post from a while back on the EFI101 forums.

http://efi101.com/forum/viewto...t=cdi
Old 04-09-2008, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tony1)

could some one pm me on purchasing a set of the aem cop setup
Old 04-30-2008, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

always stunting the latest eh Bisi?....lol
Old 05-20-2008, 02:20 AM

Default Re: New AEM "COP" Pencil Coils!! (Bisimoto)

are u racing this year ? i haven't heard of toy lately at any races
Old 05-20-2008, 06:05 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: New AEM "COP" Pencil Coils!!

Bisi,

I had to ask... is that motor you're using in the Castrol Syntec Top Shop Challenge?

Old 05-20-2008, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bisimoto)

Awesome thread guys!! I just saw the ignititon controller in a Honda Tuner mag and was wondering how it compared to the Tony1 Hall sensor setup!

I will have to finish reading this when I have more time!!!

In for info!!
Old 05-11-2009, 09:53 PM

I really dislike dragging up an ancient thread, but I really need some info, and since this thread exists the WAY it exists, it's the logical thing to do. SOOO!

I am considering using either CBR600 coils or AEM Pencil coils. I am running an AEM 30-1900U, an AEM Twin Fire CDI and a plethora of high output potential components in my new build, and need to make a decision.

This motor is a stroked Audi 4 cylinder which will be running HIGH volume, HIGH boost, and Direct port nitrous.
(and now you're wondering why in the world is someone putting an Audi motor in a HOnda (I'm not, it's going back in the AWD A4 it came out of... "why then is this idiot posting on a Honda Forum!!!" -that's easy! Because I get a lot of great info from knowledgable resources, and in the event someone talks out their posterior end here on HT, the smack is quickly smacked down by those who know better... I've lurked here since I began planning my 4 digit crank HP build, and thank all of you who constructively contribute both past and future publishings

Cost really isn't the concern here, rather PERFORMANCE and RELIABILITY
We all know CBR coils are cheap, plentiful and capable...
I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who really knows these AEM coils (especially as compared to CBR coils) just whether or not the AEM coils are really worth having???

THanks sincerely

CFT, I'll be seeing you guys soon...
Old 05-12-2009, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

They are really great coils. Really you can't go wrong with either ones. The AEM ones are a slightly tweaked version of the CBR coil and you can also run normal type plugs with them as well. No need for the screw tip type of plug.

You can find the AEM coils in a single pack for $66.34 a piece that is the pencil coil, plug, pins & weather seals. A four pack for $248.94 same as the single just with four.

Also for anyone else out there they released a new connector kit which is the four plugs, pins and weather seals and it is around $19.31

Just talked with Stephan and he is going to put together a little video of the two coils side by side on a test bench as well.

Last edited by Rtype16; 05-12-2009 at 09:41 AM.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ttt. nice... i got my setup
Old 08-11-2009, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

already got mine onthe shelf waiting. deff look nice.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:25 AM

I love mine, and still running the same set this entire time. Very reliable coils.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Pulling this thread from the dead once again, I need to figure out what sort of ignition system to go with, I did read most of the thread from the link that T1 posted but am still none the wiser as I did not feel there was a solid conclusion. Do I get the new smart coils from aem and run these from my ems or do I buy a twin fire aem box and run this with the cbr coils I already have sat in the garage? I also have a set of coils from a k20 in the garage, what should I go for? I have a fully built b16 with 6765 bb turbo and plan on running 2+bar boost. I know most will say go with the m&w box of tricks but this is simply out of my budget now, any help would be brilliant.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You really cant go wrong with either one. Its all preference. With the new High Outout smart coils you would have to find a place to mount them and also run spark plug wires, but they are capable of supporting at least 250horsepower per cylinder. Four coils would run around $296 for the set. Plus a set of wires. These coils are awesome and is something that I would do. Now if we go with a Twin-Fire(or something like it) the twin-fire is around $350 plus the Pencil Coils $249. So you have the new smart coils +wires at $296 or you have a twin-fire with pencil coils at $600.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rs250nut
Pulling this thread from the dead once again, I need to figure out what sort of ignition system to go with, I did read most of the thread from the link that T1 posted but am still none the wiser as I did not feel there was a solid conclusion. Do I get the new smart coils from aem and run these from my ems or do I buy a twin fire aem box and run this with the cbr coils I already have sat in the garage? I also have a set of coils from a k20 in the garage, what should I go for? I have a fully built b16 with 6765 bb turbo and plan on running 2+bar boost. I know most will say go with the m&w box of tricks but this is simply out of my budget now, any help would be brilliant.
Either AEM smart coils or the AEM Twin fire with your CBR coils is a good option for your setup.

Personally I would go with the AEM smart coils being they can support more spark energy, but like Rtype16 says you do have to run spark plug cables as well find a place to mount the coil packs.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

or just run the k20 coils there "smart" and its free!
Old 09-12-2012, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SwappedTURBOegg
or just run the k20 coils there "smart" and its free!
What is the energy output of the denso k20 could though?
Still ~20mJ just like the pen could without a CDI unit?
Old 09-14-2012, 05:56 PM
GDD Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

the chances of the 2 posts being literally 1 year apart...

17:1. de madre, lol.