Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

turbo or supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo or supercharger

I have a 2000 Honda Accord V6 V-Tech with cold air intake and cat back exhaust. Im tryin to figure out which one will be more expensive and which one will have better results with horsepower and tourqe
Old 02-11-2008, 10:03 PM

Default Re: turbo or supercharger (hondaman2319)

I would go with a turbo only because they sound amazing and a super charger is less efficient.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Honda doesn't have VTECH, but Vtec lol

turbo is more expensive, but also the butter result w/ hp & torque
Old 02-12-2008, 04:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Re: turbo or supercharger (cArl45)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cArl45 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would go with a turbo only because they sound amazing and a super charger is less efficient.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Explain to me how a Supercharger is less efficient? Actually don't bother.

I don't think that we want to get into this topic for the 1,000,000th time. These topics are mostly based on a he read she said kind of thing. To me Turbos are inefficient and I think that SC's make a better noise than a turbo.... If you want to base your decission on these types of no to low tech audio choices fill your boots...lol they both have there Pros and Cons for efficiency.

My personal opinion is, take some of the responses you read here in this thread, throw them to the back of your head. Figure out what your goals and budget are and do some research on Turbo vs Supercharger. Like I said this has been discussed a million times before.

Google Turbo vs Supercharger, vice versa and see what you find.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo or supercharger (GhostAccord)

Hey wouldn't a supercharger have a bit of a disadvantage when it comes to altitude changes?

I like the idea of supercharger myself because I dislike the amount heat a turbo generates.

But I've read some disadvantages.

- More stress on the motor

And as I stated before:

- Bit of difficulty with altitude changes.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo or supercharger (Dcsports92)

Actaully the supercharger will generate more heat, superchargers force the air into the cylinders and there is no option for an intercooler. At least with a turbo you can cool down the air temps with a intercooler
Old 02-12-2008, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Re: turbo or supercharger (bigz187)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bigz187 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Actaully the supercharger will generate more heat, superchargers force the air into the cylinders and there is no option for an intercooler. At least with a turbo you can cool down the air temps with a intercooler </TD></TR></TABLE>

SC's can also have a liquid cooled inter cooler that is placed between the SC and the head..... but why bother SC make a 1/4 of the heat that turbos do.

Question: Why don't Paxton side mount SC's use an interfooler.....
Answer: The amount of heat that they make is negligible compared to having to run all the piping and an interfooler.

So to solve your supercharger heat problem you could use an inter cooler with a paxton side mounted supercharger. But why

Modified by GhostAccord at 11:13 AM 2/12/2008
Old 02-12-2008, 06:39 AM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cArl45 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would go with a turbo only because they sound amazing and a super charger is less efficient.</TD></TR></TABLE>

buhahahhaha

OP maybe you should read up on your craptastic transmissions and put money towards that first.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo or supercharger (TheMuffinMan)

dood as soon as i read that I fuc*ing lost it....WOW
Old 02-12-2008, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo or supercharger (Grandhustleman86)

If you have some spare cash and are eager to learn a little then the August 07' Super Stret issue would be good to get your hands on....I do believe they reprint to a certain extent....Its Main article is All-motor vs Turbo vs Blown vs Juiced motors....it a damn good read for $10-20 or whatever they charge for reprinting
Old 02-12-2008, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: turbo or supercharger (Grandhustleman86)

as far as choosing to go turbo simply because it sounds cool is a pure lack of research. thats like saying if your friend jumped off the golden gate bridge you thought he went out cool so you did it as well.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo or supercharger (flight50)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaman2319 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a 2000 Honda Accord V6 V-Tech with cold air intake and cat back exhaust. Im tryin to figure out which one will be more expensive and which one will have better results with horsepower and tourqe</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'll give this a shot since the douche above is incapable....Either of these setups will produce power...(Im assuming) you do have a purpose/route for this vehicle but dont understand about supporting mods....either route you go fuel delivery will be a must....Fuel mods consist of but are not limited too...Larger Injectors-Fuel Pressure Regulators-Fuel Rails-Fuel Filters-Fuel Lines-Fuel Pumps-Air / Fuel Controllers....Air delivery consists of but is not limited to Cold Air Intakes (such as the one you currently own)-Intercoolers-Radiators-Rad. Hoses-Rad. Fans-You fill in the blanks.....in the ignition department I really think a good tune up with OEM or colder spark plugs would do the trick(for a 15psi and under application)....ok now for the exhaust....Turbo manifolds/dump tubes/downpipes are a dime a dozen, just keep the purpose of this vehicle in mind when purchasing(EX. for 5-8lbs. of boost 3" from the turbo back is overkill)....as for Supercharging the exhaust your running currently would suffice....there are many pros and cons in both worlds....I personally will be superchargin here soon on my Time Attack car....but your main focus should be in COST and what the purpose for the extra power is for....choose your setup wisely and build from there.

Please also understand that the supporting mods are not limited too just the engine components....understand that the suspension, brakes, safety equipment need to be upgraded as well....you dont build a 300+hp car and expect to rely on 7-8 year old suspension & brakes....these will also be deciding factors on your part....Suspension-Brakes-Saftey Equipment will need to be tailored to the cars purpose.

I hope this helps...but the big question is whats better or more efficent....I've seen turbo'd motors produce the bigger numbers....but in the end you need to decide for yourself.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:40 AM

lmao
So he should get one cause they...sound good?
Old 02-13-2008, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You should've posted or searched in here:
https://honda-tech.com/zeroforum/16

I believe the FI forum has a sticky in the FAQ about the pros and cons of each set up. If you post this question in there, you will get flamed. If you have more of a specific question, read up as much as you can and work with what you have. If that fails, post a thread in there
Old 02-13-2008, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo or supercharger (erk89)

Parasitic loss, yeah
Old 02-13-2008, 10:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: turbo or supercharger (awdgsx96)

In the case of the Accord, go turbo. The S/C is lacking in power for the amount of money spent.

I currently own a S/C but its yet to be installed.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:58 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ok, I cleaned the thread up, please keep in on topic now.

also, I accidently removed this question from a few posts above...
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by erk89 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oh, and dont superchargers rob power from the engine? </TD></TR></TABLE>
which awdgsx96 answered.
sorry about that.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:14 AM

Default Re: turbo or supercharger (bigz187)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bigz187 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Actaully the supercharger will generate more heat, superchargers force the air into the cylinders and there is no option for an intercooler. At least with a turbo you can cool down the air temps with a intercooler </TD></TR></TABLE>

well yeah, but turbos generate WAY more heat than s/c because the compressor has to sit right there next to the turbine which is not only hot from the exhaust gasses passing through it, but also because it's spinning at such a high speed. that's why they started putting intercoolers on turbo'd cars. older turbo'd cars (the grand national, for example) had no intercoolers to begin with.

but i agree with whoever said the thing about the tranny. that thing's a time bomb waiting to explode. if it was me, i'd say falk it and sell that thing. it's way too expensive to have your transmission rebuilt/replaced with an aftermarket unit just so you can start modding your car. you probably would have to custom fab. parts anyway, cause comptech quit making their s/c kit for the j series, adn i doubt anyone makes turbo kits for that motor.

sorry
good luck