Notices

SPA Topmount Cast Turbo Manifold. Let me know your experience please

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 01:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default spa manifold

i have one on my built gsr. i have a holset hx35. dynoed at 464hp. 16psi. 1000cc ID. l'm going to upgrade my turbo soon and possibly manifold.

anyone else have experiences with this manifold?
Old 09-23-2011, 05:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SPA Topmount Cast Turbo Manifold. Let me know your experience please

More info on your setup please.^^ Pics if you have them would be nice. Do you have the 7 or 8 blade hx35?
Old 09-27-2011, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: SPA Topmount Cast Turbo Manifold. Let me know your experience please

Any new setups with these manifolds? I stil have the clocking flange if you need one
Old 10-08-2011, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Turbo-LS
Any new setups with these manifolds? I stil have the clocking flange if you need one
Still got em? I think I want one...
Old 12-02-2011, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What's the largest size turbo that fits 94+ Integra GSR?
Old 12-02-2011, 02:36 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by enaroy
What's the largest size turbo that fits 94+ Integra GSR?
Go read all the FAQs (at least) then come back and ask this question.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Go read all the FAQs (at least) then come back and ask this question.
I read at least 20 pages and no clear answer before I asked.
I am Not new to this... Thank you!!!
Old 12-02-2011, 06:10 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by enaroy
I read at least 20 pages and no clear answer before I asked.
I am Not new to this... Thank you!!!
Yes, you are... you're acting REAL BRAND NEW. You know that it depends upon the exhaust manifold use, turbo choice, configuration, etc. Normally I'm a nice person when it comes to this, but this is just beyond ridiculousness... Rob Durdek should see the resulting video from this question

This question is vague and silly.... please redeem yourself by specifying what you're trying to do with your car and what turbo you think you're trying to put in this thing..

I.e. "I have XX turbocharger / kit in my 94-01 Integra... I want to make XX power, (or fly to the moon.. whatever)... what manifold and turbo combination holds the largest housing sizes from ANY of the major companies?"
Old 12-02-2011, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Seeing as how this is the SPA topmount thread, I think it's okay to assume he was asking about this manifold.... If not then it is the most rediculous questioned asked in a while
Old 12-03-2011, 05:31 AM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<< seriously looking into this with the locking flange in the future
Old 12-03-2011, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Great manifold ! Im making 406whp with it pump gas street tuned by me still have a/c and p/s
Old 12-03-2011, 06:02 AM

Great manifold ! Im making 406whp with it pump gas street tuned by me still have a/c and p/s
I still don't see anything unique or good with this thing, other than having to find a bunch of unique and special flanges to make it fit.. I could make that power with my Spoolin' log with my eyes closed.

Bah..
Old 12-03-2011, 06:09 AM
Retired Moderator

well, ive had 2 spoolin log manis crack and 2 go-autoworks log manis crack on me..

after spending over $1200 just on manifolds/re-fabbing and alternate transportation, im tired of having to replace them. since replacing these logs, i have 1 stripped exhaust mani hole and now need to helicoil it which now i have to spend more $$ cuz of cracking manifolds.

Cheap ebay casts suck, but i havent had to deal with cracks. just really tight to access turbo bolts.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by EsotericImage
well, ive had 2 spoolin log manis crack and 2 go-autoworks log manis crack on me..

after spending over $1200 just on manifolds/re-fabbing and alternate transportation, im tired of having to replace them. since replacing these logs, i have 1 stripped exhaust mani hole and now need to helicoil it which now i have to spend more $$ cuz of cracking manifolds.

Cheap ebay casts suck, but i havent had to deal with cracks. just really tight to access turbo bolts.
That is incredible. But something tells me you may be inadvertantly doing something involving a rich or lean condition (I've had that with people who destroy turbine housings by witnessing slag inside the volutes due to an overly rich or lean condition) which may contribute to the cracks. Look at the probabilities considering that 90% of the manufacturers of these custom manifolds use the same material specifications.

I don't think its every company that's wrong. There may be something going on that you might not be seeing in your setup. I mean; after going through that many manifolds, I would tend to believe that SPA wouldn't be the solution, and that something else might be going on..

Just an idea, I guess... A different frame of reference.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:24 AM
Retired Moderator

im running a constant 10.9afr.. but dont want to jack the thread here
Old 12-03-2011, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by EsotericImage
im running a constant 10.9afr.. but dont want to jack the thread here
There's more to it than AFR. I'm looking at millisecond delay, cooling, etc. Not at WOT only.

There's nothing to "thread jack" when it comes to an SPA "topmount" IMHO. so you're fine.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
I still don't see anything unique or good with this thing, other than having to find a bunch of unique and special flanges to make it fit.. I could make that power with my Spoolin' log with my eyes closed.

Bah..
I dont think there is anything special about it and agree that the same power can be made on a cast log, tubular log etc. Its really just the bling factor of the top mount and ease of working on it if need be. the clocking flange isnt needed to run this manifold, just makes fitment of dp a little easier and turbo is all
Old 12-03-2011, 06:49 AM
Retired Moderator

my build isnt for all out power anyways.. i just wanted a quick little civic that can keep up with anyone wanting to get cute..

I do like the top mount cuz of the easier access.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:11 AM

I dont think there is anything special about it and agree that the same power can be made on a cast log, tubular log etc. Its really just the bling factor of the top mount and ease of working on it if need be. the clocking flange isnt needed to run this manifold, just makes fitment of dp a little easier and turbo is all
I could agree with that, If I hadn't not only read about all of the unique flange issues that users are having problems with, but seen issues like this on the street for the few people that had them in my area.

For example, the use of a Pandusky-made clocking flange (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/spa-top-mount-cast-manifold-crx-2242460/ ) is essential to fit in some vehicles such as EG hatchbacks and CRXs, in order to even close the hood properly, or keep A/C compressors and other amenities it claims to fit with it just out of the box.. (See Page 9 of this thread). Turbo-LS, you said it yourself that a need of this flange exists when you attempted to mass produce it and create a group buy of this clocking flange in order to make any turbos fit properly.. Did it just magically start to fit on all the turbos now? C'mon.. stay consistent my friend... Either you need the clock flange, or you don't... which is it?

(See page 10-11 on this thread.. Turbo-LS's attempt to have the clocking flange mass produced...https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...147408&page=11).

BTW, this is no attack against you, Turbo-LS in anyway.
I'm just pointing out that its silly to get this thing to work properly when 3 years ago people swore it was the new hotness. Despite Turbo-LS's attempt to help fill a gap in the market for these things, there still wasn't enough interest due to these overlaying concerns..

You then have silly fitments like this for the GT35R or SC61s with even E-covers: (From Boosted_B_Series)
Originally Posted by Boosted_B_Series

t3/gt35 turbo
SERIOUSLY!?!?!?

The hole i had to cut in my hood
This last one just looks like complete ***.. Poor CF hood

current pic
with the user's personal testimony . This is enough to give me caution as to its repeatability of results or fitment

I had the 60-1 on the SPA...

It will not fit a 35r however...

I've tried both..

The center section is narrower on the 35r so the exhaust and compressor are closer together and the compressor hits the exhaust runner.

I loved my spa topmount but got rid of it because of the 35r issue.
So, knowing that there are people buying their big 6262 and 6266 turbos as the turbo to have this year, (which have the same length as the GT35R), they are almost guaranteed to have fitment issues, forcing their hoods to look like that. I'm just prophesying the outcome of the use of this damn thing, and the masses who'll then have already given their money up only to find that they have to deal with bullsh!t like this, as opposed to going to a more tried-and-true approach. Hey, maybe some people think that its worth the risk for the cost... I'm sure there are a few... there's always at least one.

So, I apologize if I seem to be the "negative nelly" in this, but its not without merit, and I'm not talking out of my *** to "hate" on another product that isn't more "traditional". If SPA can't even make their own clocking flanges to work with their exhaust manifolds and other products, or have at least the wherewithal to help locate some of the niche parts needed to make it work, (possibly including tech support as to how one should fabricate a downpipe to fit this unique configuration).. Why the hell should I believe in it?

I'm sorry.. I'm just not convinced otherwise.

Last edited by TheShodan; 12-03-2011 at 07:42 AM.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:36 AM
Retired Moderator

well, im just running a small super 60, but i can see your point.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I see your point, yes not all cars will it fit properly without the clocking flange. i completely agree but some it will. yes its silly to get extra things to make it fit but then again most setups need extra things to make stuff fit in general BUT a quality tubular manifold will work well then you forgo other things. its all a balance i guess and what someone wants in their car.

Im running an E cover t3/t4 with the clocking flange and it works just fine in my DC chassis. With room for an S cover as well but very tight fitment . Im in no way trying to say this manifold is choice over any other. I just like it thats all and it works well with the flange lol
Old 12-03-2011, 09:33 AM

I see your point, yes not all cars will it fit properly without the clocking flange. i completely agree but some it will. yes its silly to get extra things to make it fit but then again most setups need extra things to make stuff fit in general BUT a quality tubular manifold will work well then you forgo other things. its all a balance i guess and what someone wants in their car.

Im running an E cover t3/t4 with the clocking flange and it works just fine in my DC chassis. With room for an S cover as well but very tight fitment . Im in no way trying to say this manifold is choice over any other. I just like it thats all and it works well with the flange lol
And that's fine that you can make it work. Its just that the public understands that unlike the other traditional manifolds that require subtle solutions to fitment problems, (such as an additional universal flange, a cut flange to clock the turbine inlet flange, different I/C pipe, etc) this requires a unique solution, and they need to be made aware of it, and where (if at all) to get such equipment, and not get so hopped-up on what "dyno numbers" this thing does, or if SPA even supports such solutions..ya dig?
Old 12-03-2011, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 12-03-2011, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I just read this whole thread and I Am on a budget so I'm going with this manifold for sure now,it will be for a b16 crx.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by nitroused
Well I just read this whole thread and I Am on a budget so I'm going with this manifold for sure now,it will be for a b16 crx.
You didn't read anything in this thread, sir, I don't believe that one bit. I take that back... you read, but didn't comprehend it. I just stated that the CRX was the one that had the WORST fitment because of the issue of the Pandusky-clock flange. By the time you fiddled around with this thing, you could have saved the couple of bucks and headache to get what you need to make this fit, and instead gotten something a bit usable.

But this is what keeps 'em comin'...Someone always trying to ice skate uphill thinking they have a cheaper workaround... my god.

Quick Reply: SPA Topmount Cast Turbo Manifold. Let me know your experience please