Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Half-Shaft Removal - How to pop out from intermediate shaft

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Half-Shaft Removal - How to pop out from intermediate shaft

How the heck do you pop this out? Is there a good tool that you guys have used to do it? I was able to do it once with a crowbar, but the boot is cracked again and I can't seem to pop it this time. Not to mention, the crowbar really tears up the gasket ring there. I've tried every tool that i have - breaker bar, channel locks, biggest crescent wrench (doesn't fit), vice grips, handle from my jack (bent the crap out of it) - nothing works.

I went to a local parts store last time and they had no clue what would be the best tool to use.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-30-2007, 07:21 PM

Default Re: Half-Shaft Removal - How to pop out from intermediate shaft (jsweet)

Not sure what Teg your working on or if there is even a difference, but I've always managed to get that joint apart with a good pry bar. You should be able to find a good angle and brace against something to help pop her out. The intermediate shaft shouldn't take to much tension to separate.
If your having a hard time working on it, jack it up a bit higher into the air.

If that doesnt work, throw your hat across the room, get really angry and curse and go at it again as if your trying to kill a baby kitten as bloodily as possible. It always works for me
Old 10-30-2007, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Half-Shaft Removal - How to pop out from intermediate shaft (XSIintegra)

get a nice sledge hammer
Old 10-30-2007, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Half-Shaft Removal - How to pop out from intermediate shaft (94eh2)

hit it with a mini sludge then it should come out. might take a couple of good hits
Old 10-30-2007, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Half-Shaft Removal - How to pop out from intermediate shaft (boo5tedteg94)

hammer
Old 10-30-2007, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Half-Shaft Removal - How to pop out from intermediate shaft (jsweet)

use a hammer and a flat head screw driver..to pry it off and you'll be good..
Old 10-30-2007, 09:50 PM
* B A N N E D *

It was a bit of a bitch for me but what i did was got underneath the car. Used to Pry bars on both sides. And tried to pop them out evenly at the same time. There is a little slip ring holding it in. So if you dont equal out the side ( if your just pryin it out by one side) the slip ring is not gonna come out
Old 10-31-2007, 12:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Half-Shaft Removal - How to pop out from intermediate shaft (g1itchgsr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by g1itchgsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hammer </TD></TR></TABLE>
a big heavy one
Old 10-31-2007, 05:25 AM

I just didn't know if it would damage the intermediate shaft though, since when you start pulling the half-shaft out, it starts pulling on the intermediate shaft, moving it a bit. That's why I was thinking if you keep pressure on the rings of the intermediate shaft and pry it out it would work better than just trying to hammer the thing out.

I may just have to go buy a mini sledge.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jsweet)

I researched this and one guy said to used a socket attachement, I think I used a 21 mm or so, put it in there and hit it with a hammer and itll separate the two... It popped right apart for me

Old 10-31-2007, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (berb_15)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by berb_15 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I researched this and one guy said to used a socket attachement, I think I used a 21 mm or so, put it in there and hit it with a hammer and itll separate the two... It popped right apart for me

</TD></TR></TABLE>

just be careful.. one time.. my shaft was so stuck.. .. i broke three sockets trying to do it like that..they just cracked open.. they were craftsmans so it was okay but just the hassle..

i ended up pulling the intermediate shaft off the car and putting both shafts on the ground and just wacking it with a big fxcking hammer and they popped right off.. sometimes u dont get any room to swing the hammer from underneath the car
Old 10-31-2007, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im confused I thought the half shaft and the intermediate shaft was the same thing? Its the shaft connecting the drivers side axle to the tranny isnt it?
Old 10-31-2007, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (iVteC_PoWeR)

ya theyre the same
Old 10-31-2007, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sinfulDA8)

I change my axle shafts more than I change my underwear. Make sure that the shaft is completly unhooked from the wheel assembly (the knuckle), put a good pry bar between the shaft and the intermediate shaft housing. Give it a good yank, or possibly wack the bar with a 5lb hammer. This should pop out just fine. If that fails you can always remove the intermediate shaft from the block and pop it out of the tranny. GL
Old 11-01-2007, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sinfulDA8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sinfulDA8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

just be careful.. one time.. my shaft was so stuck.. .. i broke three sockets trying to do it like that..they just cracked open.. they were craftsmans so it was okay but just the hassle..
</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha i must have gotten lucky...
Old 11-01-2007, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (wernhersey)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wernhersey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I change my axle shafts more than I change my underwear. </TD></TR></TABLE>

hmm
Old 08-28-2020, 02:46 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Half-Shaft Removal - How to pop out from intermediate shaft

Originally Posted by jsweet
How the heck do you pop this out? Is there a good tool that you guys have used to do it? I was able to do it once with a crowbar, but the boot is cracked again and I can't seem to pop it this time. Not to mention, the crowbar really tears up the gasket ring there. I've tried every tool that i have - breaker bar, channel locks, biggest crescent wrench (doesn't fit), vice grips, handle from my jack (bent the crap out of it) - nothing works.

I went to a local parts store last time and they had no clue what would be the best tool to use.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-16-2020, 03:33 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Half-Shaft Removal - How to pop out from intermediate shaft

I put the cv axel in a vice and used a prusik (look it up) on the half shaft, stood in the loop of rope and hit the shaft with a hammer. worked great but watch your toes when the half shaft launches to the ground. also would recommend somthing to pad the concrete floor so you don't ding the shaft. I think this method works because your putting constant tension on the parts and when you hit it the bull ring inside is able to vibrate around until it slips in the groove.