Honda / Acura Appearance related discussion for Honda / Acura vehicles

Battery Relocation Pic Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Battery Relocation Pic Thread

Originally Posted by d15bvtechatch
Anyone have issues with inline fuse blowing at the battery when trying to start car? I've been having this issue on and off. Only when trying to start car.. thanks
you are drawing more current than your fuse can handle, you need to upgrade your fuse/wiring

what size fuse is it?
Old 04-22-2014, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Trying to figure out my battery/electrical power re-wiring. Can someone confirm my illustration will be OK to run.

2ga wiring from the battery - Fuse box
2ga wiring from the battery - Battery Charge Jumpers

Running rywire "seperated charge harness" for the alternator and starter
Old 04-22-2014, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Why bother with the negative remote terminal at all?
Old 04-22-2014, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Where would you put the negative on the jumper cable if you need to jump the car ?
Old 04-22-2014, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm curious, because I'm getting ready to do the power wiring in my car as well. Why would you not want the positive line to the starter to be fused as well? I'm going to be running my battery in the rear of the car and I'd think that any wire running the length of the car, you would want fused as close as possible to the battery in case of shorting.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jdm_integsr
Where would you put the negative on the jumper cable if you need to jump the car ?
When jumping your car if your battery dies you always ground to the chassis/ unpainted part under the hood... so why run the negative terminal?
Old 04-23-2014, 03:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by j.red
I'm curious, because I'm getting ready to do the power wiring in my car as well. Why would you not want the positive line to the starter to be fused as well? I'm going to be running my battery in the rear of the car and I'd think that any wire running the length of the car, you would want fused as close as possible to the battery in case of shorting.
You're right. Instead of doing my diagram... I'm going to--

Battery > Breaker > Power Distribution Block > Fuse box, Alternator, Starter
Going straight to jumper terminals from battery. Would that be safe ?

Thanks for your reply
Old 04-23-2014, 03:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ballistic1350
When jumping your car if your battery dies you always ground to the chassis/ unpainted part under the hood... so why run the negative terminal?
That's not an option in my car. Everything in my car has been fully painted. Not risking a single scratch.

So let's say you bought a stock car, everything was stock. Instead of putting both jumper cables on the battery, you'd just put one on the positive terminal and ground straight to the car ?

I dont think I could do that on my ridgeline if I ever had to jump it.. seems like everything in the engine bay is painted, and the battery is right in front of me.. (which is kinda what I'm doing by adding both the positive and negative jumper terminals)
Old 04-23-2014, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^***** clean dude.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's not an option in my car. Everything in my car has been fully painted. Not risking a single scratch.

So let's say you bought a stock car, everything was stock. Instead of putting both jumper cables on the battery, you'd just put one on the positive terminal and ground straight to the car ?

I dont think I could do that on my ridgeline if I ever had to jump it.. seems like everything in the engine bay is painted, and the battery is right in front of me.. (which is kinda what I'm doing by adding both the positive and negative jumper terminals)
Not trying to be an a$$ but have you ever jumped a car before? Yes the black one with the dead battery gets grounded to the motor or chassis.
Is everything on your motor covered in paint? All bolts and such? If not you just put it on them or any of your other grounds like where your tranny is grounded
Old 04-23-2014, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ballistic1350
Not trying to be an a$$ but have you ever jumped a car before? Yes the black one with the dead battery gets grounded to the motor or chassis.
Is everything on your motor covered in paint? All bolts and such? If not you just put it on them or any of your other grounds like where your tranny is grounded
I understand you're not trying to be an ***. I'm not either. It's a discussion.

Yes, I have jumped a car before. Lets say a stock car, battery in the engine bay.
You would put the black jumper cable anywhere other than the battery ? and why ? I understand you could put it anywhere you want... but why not just put it where it belongs ?

Seems like you're trying to tell me where I should ground my car for a jump. lol I just want to jump it from the black terminal I put on the firewall. That's all. Not the motor, not the transmission.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What's the big fuss with the negative battery terminal? If the terminal is well grounded to the body, it's no different than hooking the jumper to the body, engine, bolt, etc. It's just a cleaner way to do it and gives you a good solid place to put the clamp.

Battery > Breaker > Power Distribution Block > Fuse box, Alternator, Starter
Going straight to jumper terminals from battery. Would that be safe ?
That sounds similar to what I'm planning on doing. As far as the remote terminal, I'm still a little weary about having a hot wire running the full length of the car (for my case) without any means of shutting off. If that wire were to ever get frayed. For my car, I also have the option to just run the terminals out the rear of the car within about 18" of the battery. If I do decide to run the terminals up front, I may either run my jumper terminals off the fuse as well (I'm running 175A) or I may use a disconnect switch in the rear that I would only connect during charging.

Also, for sake of the thread, here's my battery box location. Taylor cable box, externally vented.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stock battery...made a tray with 1-1.5" tall edge and welded some suppot brakets for extra measure....keeping the weight over the front wheels for drag racing. uses factory hold down...car is being turned into a road racer so it will end up getting moved to the rear eventually

Old 04-23-2014, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I understand you're not trying to be an ***. I'm not either. It's a discussion.

Yes, I have jumped a car before. Lets say a stock car, battery in the engine bay.
You would put the black jumper cable anywhere other than the battery ? and why ? I understand you could put it anywhere you want... but why not just put it where it belongs ?

Seems like you're trying to tell me where I should ground my car for a jump. lol I just want to jump it from the black terminal I put on the firewall. That's all. Not the motor, not the transmission.
If you read the pamphlet that came with your jumper cables it says to put it elsewhere, ie doesn't belong on your negative terminal. The whole reason behind putting elsewhere is because when you connect the last clamp it has a tendency to spark. Depending on your battery this could ignited hydrogen gas that was emitted... well you can figure out the rest.
Just trying to save you some money. I do however agree that it is a nice convenient spot to put the clamp though.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Last edited by jdm_integsr; 05-01-2014 at 04:05 AM.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Holy complicated setup! Wheres it going?
Old 04-30-2014, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

not as complicated as it looks...
Battery Positive > Breaker > Power Block
then Power Block> Fuse box / Power Block> Starter

Going on the passenger side floor, near the firewall.
Ended up moving the top clamp to the side of the battery..