Notices
Honda S2000 Honda S2000

TC Design Toe Link Kit FAILURE

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TC Design Toe Link Kit FAILURE

Where to start... I drive a 2001 GPW Honda S2000 with 19,000 miles in what many
would have considered mint condition. This car is equipped with JRZ triple adjustable dampers, Volk CE28N 17" wheels, Toyo RA-1 tires, and lastly TC Design Fab rear anti-bumpsteer toe links. It is primarily street driven, albeit sparingly as it is treated as a collector's vehicle.

Last night, I was enjoying having the top down when I heard a loud pop from the rear of the car. As soon as I heard this, I simply assumed I had gotten a flat tire and proceeded to slow down calmly. 50 feet later I heard a thunderous bang
from the same place in the rear of the car, and the car immediately lost control. The
skidmarks of the tire that buckled lead straight forward, and as soon as there was a bang, it veered off to the side of the road.
Damage was done to the front bumper, both front fenders, hood, rear driverside quarter
panel, rear bumper, my HKS exhaust, left axle, left hub, and lastly a *SHEARED* TC Design anti bumpsteer toe
link kit.

This catastrophe was due to the failure of the toe link. The car was traveling down a straight road and the broken toe-link caused it to suddenly changed direction.
The change of toe in the rear from the rear tire splaying out at 45 degrees is indicated but the flat spot on the tire and the 30 yard skidmark. I feel that TC
Design is to be held accountable for their negligence. I hope to work out a
resolution with TC Design to be indemnified for all damages incurred from this
incident.

Caveat emptor, this is not the first kit that I have heard of failing and I would hate
to see another S2000 suffer a similar fate. I would also like to mention that I have only put 8,000 miles on my links.

I would like to ask for all of your opinion as to what course of action I should take. I suppose my options are to proceed legally and/or through insurance. I just would hate to see my insurance rates increase. Should TC Design cover the cost of the damages assuming my vehicle is repairable?

this post was deleted (censored) by s2ki by a mod right after i posted it.

Modified by efinity at 12:42 AM 4/4/2006
Old 04-03-2006, 11:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn thats some pos crap
goodluck with everythingg
Old 04-04-2006, 01:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: TC Design Toe Link Kit FAILURE (efinity)

holy ****!!!
i hope everything works out for you
Old 04-04-2006, 06:26 AM

Default Re: TC Design Toe Link Kit FAILURE (xc1097)

oh man, so sorry about this...

any reason why the mod in s2ki censored it?
Old 04-04-2006, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: TC Design Toe Link Kit FAILURE (AP12001)

Where did you purchase those from? Are those the same ones bought from the Go Fast Lab online store?
Old 04-04-2006, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: TC Design Toe Link Kit FAILURE (Luder94)

IMHO, your insurance should cover your damage and costs, I cant imagine TC Design will be jumping at the chance to pay for your damages, they probably have some disclaimer on their packaging or website or bill of sale that they only make race parts and are not held liable.

too bad your car got messed up but thats why people have insurance.
if you play your card right during the billing and rebuild, you can end up with more/better aftermarket parts than before the accident.

Old 04-04-2006, 09:10 AM

I am sorry to hear about your incident. I am very dissapointed in S2ki.com for deleting your thread.

If this part has a chance of failur, people who are running it on their cars should be aware of the potential risk.

I have updated my news section on my site to support you.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:11 AM

Default Re: TC Design Toe Link Kit FAILURE (owen_the_soyboy)

Glad you were not injured!!!

Your insurance should cover all the damages. I would let the company know about what happened. I would try to get them to give you some compensation, but they probably have some disclaimer for their product. At least let it be known, as to what happen. You may not get anything, but if this happens to anyone else at least your complaints will be documented.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: TC Design Toe Link Kit FAILURE (Scotty B)

He should also probably try contacting the vendor before defaming them on multiple forums.... it's a race part, not meant for the street.

Best would be to go through insurance, that's what it is for right?

Update from TCDesign in another forum:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
*Update*

Still no phone call, email or PM, however we have uncovered some more information.

Seems he purchased the RACE KIT used and has been driving it on the street. So the 8000miles is in addition to the miles and TRACK USE the original owner put on the kit. The kit in question is one of the first kits we sold. Last year when we did a parts update on the kit we tried several times to get in touch with the original owner, but he never responded.

Tony Colicchio
408-956-1526</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 04-04-2006, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: TC Design Toe Link Kit FAILURE (magnetic1)

Damn, i'm really glad that this didn't happen when you were at the track carrying high speeds. I've been deciding between this bumpsteer kit and the j's kit and to be honest, this really scares me away from the tc design kit.

I hope you can work something out whether that be with your insurance company or tc design.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: TC Design Toe Link Kit FAILURE (StinkyTofu)

I wouldn't inform the insurance company that an aftermarket part failed, causing the incident. That is an easy way for insurance to deny your claim. If you have purchased additional insurance for modifications, it won't matter. You will be covered.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:16 AM

Default Re: TC Design Toe Link Kit FAILURE (Nishant)

The owner of this kit has still not contacted our company. The owner purchased a used RACE KIT and used it on the street. We stand behind our products. Last years there was an update and we sent quite a few upgrades out. The original owner of this kit did not respond to our contact.

IF YOU DO NOT CONTACT US ABOUT A PROBLEM HOW CAN WE FIX THE SITUATION?

-Tony Colicchio
TC Design
408-956-1526 &lt;--------PHONE NUMBER, CALL!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-04-2006, 10:20 AM

Default Re: TC Design Toe Link Kit FAILURE (TC DESIGN)

-I- Removed your thread last night on s2ki and immediately pm'd to ask you for details and to contact the vendor -before- making a public drama out of it.

You never responded to me, or have you tried to call Tony.

You completely fail to mention you bought the parts used, were running race parts on the street and the guy you bought the car from failed to forward you our multiple attempts over a year ago to send him updated pieces.

-Rylan

Old 04-04-2006, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's terrible. This is not the first time I've heard of these breaking.

And what's with S2Ki deleting your post? Is it because the GFL sells these?

edit: nevermind.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:22 AM
Painting Masterpieces

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow. If this isn't a case of "Two Sides to Every Story," I don't know what is. Appears the vendor is being more than helpful here.

Please please call TC Design and work this out.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:41 AM

Default Re: TC Design Toe Link Kit FAILURE (TC DESIGN)

Wouldn't the normal assumption be when on the Race Track, someone will put considerable more stress on the parts than he/she ever do on the streets?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TC DESIGN &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The owner of this kit has still not contacted our company. The owner purchased a used RACE KIT and used it on the street. We stand behind our products. Last years there was an update and we sent quite a few upgrades out. The original owner of this kit did not respond to our contact.

IF YOU DO NOT CONTACT US ABOUT A PROBLEM HOW CAN WE FIX THE SITUATION?

-Tony Colicchio
TC Design
408-956-1526 &lt;--------PHONE NUMBER, CALL!!!!!!!!!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 04-04-2006, 11:43 AM
...still your worst nightmare squared

Default Re: (Ponyboy)

someones paying and it shouldnt be you. i say both insurance and TC. Their product broke on you bottom line. I have never heard of them and now that i have its in a negative way. Not a good business practice.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:05 PM

Default Re: TC Design Toe Link Kit FAILURE (bluesaint)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bluesaint &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wouldn't the normal assumption be when on the Race Track, someone will put considerable more stress on the parts than he/she ever do on the streets?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes but they also put considerably less miles on parts and inspect their parts frequently. Its not the stress but the duty cycle.
Furthermore we updated the part in question over a year ago and contacted everyone to send them replacement parts. Including the guy who efinity bought his car from. That guy either never passed the info on to efinity or efinity chose not to respond, I have no way to know.

The bottom line is that he bought a used race part and put loads of street miles on it and never informed anyone that he had the kit now so that we could update his parts. Had he inspected the parts like you should do with -any- race part he would have seen them starting to fail.

Now he's only interested in posting here and not contacting TC design about resolving it.

-Ry
Old 04-04-2006, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: TC Design Toe Link Kit FAILURE (krazik)

This guy is an idiot for running a race only piece on the street... come on now... a little common sense goes a long way. The owner and owner alone should pay for the damage. The Vender seems to have been more than accommodating.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: TC Design Toe Link Kit FAILURE (Nate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This guy is an idiot for running a race only piece on the street... come on now... a little common sense goes a long way. The owner and owner alone should pay for the damage. The Vender seems to have been more than accommodating.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes its a racing piece and it broke on the street ... imagine if it was on the race track ... just think about it ... i didnt know bimmer owner could be this dumb ... GTFO!!!!
Old 04-04-2006, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: TC Design Toe Link Kit FAILURE (Honda-Tech-Jerk)

Owned , Thanks for the new sig. Hahaha
Old 04-04-2006, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: TC Design Toe Link Kit FAILURE (Honda-Tech-Jerk)

um... nice selective reading there... did you miss Ry's post just 2 posts above yours?

:rolleyes
Old 04-04-2006, 02:23 PM

Stuff happens when you buy used race only parts and fail to get the update from the original manufacturer. Suck it up.

Question: When did you last dyno the car? Give you two guesses where the douche running the dyno probably put the straps.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: TC Design Toe Link Kit FAILURE (hfmjic)

hrm... who can I sue next!?

Old 04-04-2006, 03:08 PM
...still your worst nightmare squared

Default Re: TC Design Toe Link Kit FAILURE (magnetic1)

let me get this straight...someones making a point that he shouldnt have run a race part on the street because it might break from mild everyday use? Wow i thought i heard everything on HT before but i have never heard anyone saying that actual makes sense.

edit:: just read he bought it used. So your telling me you guys would buy from them again just because it was a first run. Guys running stock setups and **** doesnt break from multiple track use. So 8k miles on the street and a couple track days and its time for a new one right? Hmmm....

Quick Reply: TC Design Toe Link Kit FAILURE