Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

92-96 prelude AUTO TO MANUAL conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92-96 prelude AUTO TO MANUAL conversion

Hey I just got this done on my car..I got a good price on it(did not want to take the chance of me messing something up) $1400 in labor(not bad considering most will not do it). I got it done at Modern Wrench "3400 Annapolis Rd Halethorpe, MD 21227 (410) 354-2100". I thought I had everything but I did not....somethings that are needed

Transmission(of course)
Hydraulic lines
Manual ECU
Clutch Master Cylinder
Clutch Master Cylinder reservoir
Clutch Slave Cylinder
Clutch Kit (clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, and alignment tool)
flywheel & flywheel bolts
Shift linkage
Shifter
Manual pedals (accelerator, brake and clutch pedal)
Reverse switch(on the transmission)
Speed sensor(on the transmission)
clutch damper(mount on engine bay wall "predrilled holes")
clutch damper bracket
Driver side axle...as to include the intermediate shaft (AT DS axle will not fit)
Transmission mount bracket and Trans mount (2 pieces)
Main seal gasket(optional but HIGHLY recommended)
Axles gaskets
Manual Speedometer(optional)

Sorry I do not have pictures.....

Well I bought my lude about 3 years ago for 1000 dollars with 53,000 miles on it...however there were a lot of issues with it..it drove yes but it had extensive front end damage and a host of other issues.....well one that I had with it was the automatic transmission (along with a crappy paint job)..well after I handled a lot of the necessities and some extras found a good deal on the change over...as an added bonus I was able to watch every step..and assist when I can. Well from what I gather on the net..I thought I had everything that I needed for it...but I was wrong....very wrong. The things I did not have due to misinformation or a lack of information was the main seal(was leaking at 105,000 miles), driver side axle, tranny mount assembly, flywheel bolts, axle gaskets...which sucks because two of parts were dealer items(so a lot of the time was spent waiting for parts). The process took 4 days.

I would go into the installation of the transmission but I do not want to insult anyone...to be honest that was the easy part...I will address the "issues"..

1. When making your hydraulic lines be sure that when you run them to the clutch damper that you do not place them higher then the reservoir(otherwise you are going to have to try and be creative as to how you bleed the lines).

2. Keep track of your transmission bolts and what worked for the automatic may not work with the manual...so have a supply of bolts.

3. When you first start the engine after installation you have to have the wires running to the AUTOMATIC shifter and have it in neutral (or park) in order for it to stop.

4. You also have to find the two neutral wires and "link" them together to form a "circle in the circuit" this allows you to start the car without the AT shifter.

5. You also have to find the park wires and do the same thing you did with the neutral wires in order to get the key out of the ignition.

6. On the shifter you have to find a way to keep the cables "locked" in place on the shifter base....something like a shim or wire in order to keep them in place.(sorry no pictures..if clarity is needed please just ask)

I do not have the information on how the reverse lights work or the safety feature of starting the car by pushing the clutch(at first I did not have to press clutch in order to start car"I do now")...I will get all of this information Monday and post it.

Old 04-02-2006, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 92-96 prelude AUTO TO MANUAL conversion (mugenmarauder)

http://www.preludepower.com/fo...anual Me so nice
Old 04-02-2006, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check out my thread on this for more info....from a while ago

good info
Old 04-03-2006, 12:02 PM

Default Re: (mgags7)

Thanks I will do that
Old 07-25-2014, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 92-96 prelude AUTO TO MANUAL conversion

not to bring up a dead thread guys, but im doing the auto to manual conversion on my 95 prelude si soon and I need to have EVERY part AND bolt before it can be started. im taking the car to a very trusted mechanic an hour north of me and trying to make the process quick, easy, and cheap for him. i need a little help on the whole thing here. ill start with what i have and then go into what i need and what i think i might need.

i have:
clutch master cylinder (new from autozone)
slave cylinder (new from autozone)
flywheel (brand new) and flywheel bolts
clutch kit (brand new) + arp pressure plate bolts
clutch pedal
brake and gas pedals
shift plate and assembly + shift ****
cotter pins
5spd p14 ecu
shift linkage

right now i know i need the transmission, intermediate shaft, starter,

questions: could i use the Rywire prelude clutch line instead of sourcing the oem prelude clutch line? would this replace the hardline and clutch dampener and rubber line completely? http://www.rywire.com/rywire-accord-...-line-h12m.htm
do i need to buy axles for both driver and passenger side? or do i just buy the half shaft and driver side axle for 4th gen prelude
is there something i need to buy for the side transmission mount??
now im confused about bolts and fasteners for the projects. i need bolts for tranny to mount to engine, i need the fasteners for the linkage to the shifter, i need bolts for the shifter to the chasis. i need bolts for all 3 pedals. and bolts for the starter!
will wire also be needed? for the reverse lights and ignition lock and such? if so, what gauge?
please help out with this conversion, i've been wanting to do this for a really long time and i finally have a good amount of the parts and i want to get my car in the garage next week if all goes well. im on a budget !
-Danny

peace