Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Diff, Spider Gears or Diff Bearings in YS1????

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diff, Spider Gears or Diff Bearings in YS1????

We pulled out the tranny yesterday and with the axles out we stuck our fingers in both sides of the differential, with both index fingers almost touching each other and on the spline in the middle, we checked for play up/down, side/side and there is play. At first we thought diff bearings when the tranny was in but the actual bearings dont look like they're moving its the spline in between them!!!

Whats the problem here, I've already bought new bearings for $80.00. Someone please help me here..THANKS IN ADV. H-T'ers
Old 04-03-2006, 10:53 AM

UPDATE-- We pulled the whole diff out of the tranny and brought it to Honda and had a tech look at it, He said that the spider gear/diff should have SOME normal play in it and it didnt look to him to be anything out of the ordinary, and said that usually there would be signs of a bad differential like maybe discoloration.

WTF could be my problem me and my friend are ready to HANG OURSELVES FROM THE GARAGE DOOR or maybe just guy a DSM. lol im kidding but we really are stumped here...This is whats been done...(in order)

1. New EBAY Clutch and 9lbs Flywheel
2. New Innovative mounts
3. New Axles (2) Reman's
-Pass side 1 day (problem still occured after test
-Driver side next day (problem still there!)
4. New front ctl arm bushings (upper/lower)
5. Pulled tranny and checked diff/diff bearings

Someone please lead us in the right direction. I am willing to pay someone to get this fixed for me. Thanks -Mark
Old 04-03-2006, 05:02 PM

tranny gurus quickk!!
Old 04-04-2006, 03:15 AM

wtf noone knows anything about trannys or diffs. Cmon this is H-T. Is just noone lookin in this topic, maybe I shoulda put "Yo my VTEC ain't Poppin, Why" Then I woulda got 100 replies...
Old 04-04-2006, 05:27 AM

B - U - M - P
Old 04-04-2006, 06:16 AM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

so where in this post have you described a problem?
Old 04-04-2006, 09:22 AM

1st post . Ther problem is the play in the diff (spider gears) I just wanna know if the diff is bad. see other threads too The car was shaking under 50kmh under light-med. accelleration. When u grab the axle on pass side where it goes into the case there is alot of play all around seems more so now that the trans is out
Old 04-04-2006, 03:56 PM

FOUND THE PROBLEM! The whole time the ****** axle was in the wrong side of the tranny. When the guy did my clutch he put them in backwards. Then I changed the driver side one and never thought it would be something as stupid as that but it was!!

What I need to know is now that I drove on the wrong axle for a while what are the chances that I brored out the carrier at all because now that we put the right one in it HELPED the play a whole lot but there still seems to be some play. But we did still have the tranny out of the car and the axles seals werent in at all, maybe thats why I felt play. Someone give up some info here.....Also I wanna thank everyone for their inputs and help with my situation. And I appologize for gettin agrivated but we were workin on this car for 8 days straight after work until like 12am!!
Old 04-05-2006, 05:25 AM

ttt
Old 04-07-2006, 01:54 PM

again...
Old 04-11-2006, 05:13 PM

I just dont understand why when i grab the pass side axle rite where it goes into the case there is up/down play and no side/side play. Also can my f1 racing (junk!!) flywheel be unbalanced? because it already squeaks when i start off quick? why?
Old 04-13-2006, 03:34 AM

UPDATE: OKay so I found my problem it was my driver side axle cv @ the wheel side was seperated. So i retunred and got a new one. But I have been having SO MANY axle problems since I did the swap that I feel like somethin is causing all these problems. Also my shake under load* is getting worse and worse, and the play @ the pass side axle @ the case is getting worse too.
* @ 3000rpm's the whole front end shakes under load (wheel, doors everything!)

I know sumthin is worng because we felt my boys 99 GSR and he doesnt have any play where the axle goes into the case on pass side like I do. Whats up here? we had the trans out and looked @ diff bearings, they seemed fine and Im not leakin any tranny fluid or nething. It feels like the axle is in the splines but not tite in the carrier, almost like its the wrong axle.....
Old 04-14-2006, 03:53 AM

bump AGAIN