Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

what power steering fluid should i use

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what power steering fluid should i use

hey guys i herd that you should use original honda power steering fluit for my honda vtec is it tru or just a normal one is good.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what power steering fluid should i use (mzoghbi)

ps fluid is all the same
Old 12-22-2004, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

from what ive been told that original honda power steering fluid is specifically made for the honda power steering pump and if you use anything else you will wear out your pump faster...

someone check me on that ...
Old 12-22-2004, 06:45 PM

Default Re: what power steering fluid should i use (Inextricabledrvr)

ok one person says all power steering fluid is hte same and the other says honda ones really for it so witchs one good. got to make a dicision before i leave to work to buy some.lol
Old 12-22-2004, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just stick with oem honda power steering fluid, it is only 3 or 4 dollars a bottle...

i would stick with OEM PS fluids...Its better for the pump...

Old 12-22-2004, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Use Honda OEM ps fluid. But you can get away with using any ps fluid b/c they are pretty much all the same.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

they are all the same... if u wanna think your better off.. go with OEM.. your not gonna feel the diffrence tho.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:49 PM

Default Re: what power steering fluid should i use (digitalh3lix)

i dont care if its makes a difference or not i just want to know if other fluids would **** it up.
im in australia it cost $1750 a liter aus dollar here fucken rip off
but looks like ill just get it i blow 50 times more on drinks on a weekend.lol
Old 12-22-2004, 07:57 PM

Your car will explode if you don't use OEM fluid.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Makes no difference.
Old 12-23-2004, 05:11 AM

Default Re: (ryanstev)

I call BS. I've ruined the seals on a pump using non-oem PS fluid. I would never trust anything else. Napa has a PS fluid just for hondas. It's cheaper. When I flushed my system there were metal shavings in the resevoir filter. Not sure if it was fluid related but why risk it.

Of course this is my educated opinion. Use whatever you want. As long as you dont mind SCREWING UP YOUR FRIGGN PUMP!
Old 12-23-2004, 05:43 AM

Default Re: (five-0)

There definitely is a Honda-specific PS fluid formula . . . . both from the dealer and from autopart stores. Only makes sense to use the right one, as it's no more expensive than the other stuff.
Old 12-23-2004, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Use honda fluid or fluid formulated for hondas cuz of the seals... why save the 50 cents?
Old 12-23-2004, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think as a general rule you people should think oem fluid and parts.....it is made exactly for your car

that other stuff is made for any car to work in, there is no thought to whether it will be good for your seals or not, they just make it to the standard specifications, paying no attention to composition and how your car will react to it.....

OEM IS BEST!
Old 12-23-2004, 10:41 AM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

if you cannot get OEM honda fluid go to the parts store and get honda specific fluid.
but my vote goes to teh honda oem stuff.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:04 PM

Default Re: (v4lu3s)

enough with the bitchyness i bought the oem power steering fluid nad yes it did have a difference my steering si sweet as and too easy to turn.
Old 12-23-2004, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what power steering fluid should i use (Chase)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chase &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wrong

you'll surely feel a difference after you blow all the seals in your ps pump and rack

indeed

incorrect
Thankyou!!!!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Would you care to explain why we're wrong?
"Incorrect" doesn't quite cover it.
Old 12-23-2004, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mgags7)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mgags7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i think as a general rule you people should think oem fluid and parts.....it is made exactly for your car

that other stuff is made for any car to work in, there is no thought to whether it will be good for your seals or not, they just make it to the standard specifications, paying no attention to composition and how your car will react to it.....

OEM IS BEST!</TD></TR></TABLE>

So I should go back to "Honda Genuine Motor Oil" instead of my Mobil 1 synthetic?

j/k, it's a good general rule, but it doesn't always apply. I guess one can be certain that OEM stuff won't blow up your car, but it's not always the best...
Old 12-23-2004, 03:57 PM

Default Re: (Featherfire)

woooowww look at every one argue over a little issue. i the person who asked the question always herd that u have to use oem for power steering and just wanted to make sure f the rumors.
now if you had the money wouldnt u buy oem parts?
well i would i rather get the original than any fake **** as i want my car to last. and as they say you get what u pay for.
anyway i got hte original and it was 4 dollars more than other crappy stuff and im happy with it.
Old 12-23-2004, 04:43 PM

Default Re: (Chase)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chase &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't think anyone is arguing, this is a web forum and it doesn't matter who started the thread. The reason I added my opinion is because i didn't want you to blow seals in your p/s system on account of bad info, and you should be happy when people discuss your question </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ditto. I think it's just a common mistake for people to assume that all PS fluid is the same, because most of it <U>is</U>. I work at a Nissan dealership and we top off PS with ATF. I just learned my lesson the hard way. I replaced the pump with one that I bought from SKDRCR on this forum, flushed everything real purty like, and to quote mzoghbi<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mzoghbi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> it did have a difference my steering si sweet as and too easy to turn. </TD></TR></TABLE>

And to all a good night.
Old 12-23-2004, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chase &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I didn't cover it because five-0 did. Standard p/s fluid can(i want to say will) destroy the pump seals and the seals in the rack. I've seen it happen various times. Most suppliers will stock a p/s fluid "designed for honda/acura"....I've seen these fail as well even though they contain special additives that are supposed to condition the seals . The owner's manual always states to use genuine oem fluids and parts because they want your money, but for p/s fluid...they mean it</TD></TR></TABLE>

That doesn't cover it, because if he used the Honda stuff would you then decide it was the Honda brand that caused the pump to leak and you should use non Honda brand?

The only way to prove what's better is by scientific tests and if you have a link to one that'd be great.
But just saying you developed a leak by using non Honda brand doesn't mean anything, because the leak might have happened either way.
Old 12-23-2004, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chase &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You're a moron...someone lock this thread</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh I see, you can't prove it, so rather than just say that, you think by calling someone who's never even seen your username, much less met you, a moron will suddenly give you credibility.
Old 12-23-2004, 07:40 PM

wait a min your telling me your not arguing now. putting your own view of somthing on a thread is the point of these forums but not placing it in an argumentative way.