Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Non-Garish Head Units... Blaupunkt?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 615 Likes on 487 Posts
Default Non-Garish Head Units... Blaupunkt?

Hey everyone,

I'm in the market for a new single-din head unit for the beater (2000 Civic LX), but I'm trying really hard to find something that is somewhat era-appropriate, has some modern features, and most importantly doesn't loom like a space cruiser relic from the year 4000. I guess that's what you find when you're shopping products whose main demographic is 18-24 year old dudes.

Anyway,

I keep coming back to Blaupunkt. I've kinda wanted one since the 90's anyway.

The Atlanta 110 is just about right, looks wise:

but is kinda short on features.

The Toronto 420 is also pretty sweet, has all the features I want, but is kinda creeping back up on too much crap going on:

The faceplate:

Anyone have experience with the brand in the last ten years or so? I know they used to have a really good reputation, at least. Any other recommendations for head units in general?

*Note: I tried to find pics of the actual items, we all know the manufacturer's pics usually aren't a very good reputation of what it looks like.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Non-Garish Head Units... Blaupunkt?

The shop I work in will not install any of these brand products for warranty and repeated product failure reason.

Jensen
Dual
Blaupunkt
and Scosche

The shop has been in business for eight years and after many customers returning within a year or two to have these brands replaced with higher quality they just decided against installing these. If its only a beater and don't plan on keeping car long then that should get you around. Pioneer has some plane looking stereos with modern features.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good deal, thanks for the input. I guess I'll steer clear.

I was always under the impression that Blaupunkt was a pretty good brand. I've read that they've been either sold to or are at least licensing the name to Rockford as of late and that the quality isn't quite the same. Too bad.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i've also only heard bad reviews of blaupunkt
Old 04-07-2014, 06:51 PM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I will third the experience with Blaupunkt, by saying I've had nothing but failures from their products.

However, with that being said, I agree; it is terribly difficult to find a non-intrusive styled head unit these days. I understand that gadgetry is fun, and including all you can in a head unit is commonplace. But why oh why do the have to look so gaudy?
Old 04-08-2014, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah it sucks. I feel like most of the stuff available looks downright stupid in any car, let alone one with a 90's era interior.

This Pioneer one isn't too bad:

I like that it has a USB in the back as well, I would like to be able to toss my 160GB iPod in the glove box and forget about until I want to take it with me or sync it. I don't really give a crap about cd's so I'm totally down with the digital media units. I think it's about ten years past when they should have gotten popular.

It's definitely not as clean looking as the Blaupunkt, but I'm getting over that a little bit at a time. Also, still not sure why the f**k they all insist on making the buttons so tiny.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:25 PM
Sanji

I honestly couldn't agree more with you. I was insistant on having a volume **** (always hated volume +/- buttons), along with my headunit. So, I settled on the Sony XAV-64BT in my truck.

Its got a solid equalizer and a nice display. However, USB only in the front, and a tiny friggin button arrangement. Sad for a double DIN.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What's your budget?
Old 04-09-2014, 01:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Reasonably, I'd like to stay under $150 but my absolute ceiling is $200. Not really looking for anything über fancy.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a sony cdx gt-565up head unit. It was cheap but sounds pretty decent. Its a bit flashy, but I got it because it has rgb back lighting so I can set it to a nice color and brightness.
It has usb functions and pandora control through the usb port for ipods/iphones.
Its probably too flashy looking but I got it based off its specs and if it had what I wanted

Hmm maybe I have the 575. I dont remember. Same thing, just newer model

Lol I had to look. Its a gt66upw

Last edited by m4xwellmurd3r; 04-11-2014 at 02:17 AM.
Old 04-13-2014, 01:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Clarion cz702 is nice
Old 04-13-2014, 06:09 AM
Sanji

This is what I think of, when I'm thinking "non-garish":

Old 04-13-2014, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Exactly. The OEM stuff is usually pretty on-point. What is that first one? Nissan?
Old 04-13-2014, 12:09 PM
longest project ever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have one of these,, and you get a really good head unit for what you pay for a used one. I would still have my original one, but the line for the oil pressure gauge broke above it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clarion-DB345MP-CD-Player-In-Dash-Receiver-With-Harness-and-Remote-/181380837609?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a3b23f0e9
Old 04-13-2014, 06:31 PM
Sanji

Originally Posted by spAdam
Exactly. The OEM stuff is usually pretty on-point. What is that first one? Nissan?
Yup. (Its the same in the RHD S15 Silvia pictured below it)

Its from the Nissan Qashqai (worst car name... possibly ever)
Old 04-16-2014, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Get a Pioneer. Period. Hands down, the best single dins I have ever had, both quality wise and best bang for your buck. I've never been that impressed with the Alpine, Clarion, etc., all very overrated stuff IMO and after owning a couple from different brands, wasn't happy with them, especially Alpine, always came back to Pioneer. I bought a pioneer single din on sale for $75 from best buy back in 2006, integrated iPod control, CD player, remote, the whole 9 yards, still works perfect to this day, put it in my buddy's car when I got a newer pioneer four years ago that came with my 96 civic when I bought it, single din. All my family has Pioneers in their cars based off my suggestion, upgrading stock radios or replacing Alpine's, Kenwood's, and Sony's. Not a single issue with any of them, aux/usb input, sound quality is excellent and hasn't degraded, no shorts or need to replace, RCA jacks for subwoofers, adjustment for audio (highs/mids/lows - kHz, has loudness, adjustment for subs if connected, etc.) I only use Pioneer; just my $.02. As far as looks though, its hard to find something that doesn't look space age anymore, especially something that looks sleek like that Blaupunkt. I don't really have a complaint about the small buttons, I only use them really when I adjust kHz/adjustments for subs, or my highs & lows (between metal and country, no rap or high hop here lol). I only use my iPhone connected via USB and control from my phone. Kenwood makes some nice single dins as well, but I figure why change when I am already happy.

Original Pioneer I bought, 8 years old and still works perfectly, DEH-2100IB

Currently in my car (came with car), not sure how old, but works perfectly

Pioneer DEH-P310UB

Last edited by ej6fade; 04-16-2014 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:23 PM
longest project ever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the reason I suggested the clarion DB one is they are an older head unit, when Clarion was still a solid brand. Remember Clarion made a lot of OEM head units too. I never had a bit of trouble with mine, other then it ending up full of oil, I had the first one for years
Old 04-17-2014, 01:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

look at my post and check out the Insight base/DX honda radio. It gives you CD plus aux input from a oem HONDA radio.

I see these going for around $50-$75 on ebay.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm pretty cool with the new Kenwood form factor:

It's got all the stuff I was looking for, rear USB with ipod control, Bluetooth, etc etc.

The catch is that it's about twice as much as I was looking to spend and I've been dumping a boatload of cash into my garage and project car lately, so I'll probably be putting this off for a couple months, minimum.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Update!

I finally made a decision on Weds and the mailman left me a present today. Gotta love Amazon Prime:

Decided to forego the CD player, even though I collect cds (I have about 800, lost count sometime in the previous decade) I haven't carried them in my car since like '02. Rear usb was also a priority, and it's got that too. It's amazing how small the unit ends up being:

It weighs almost nothing, has everything I wanted, and only set me back $99. Gonna get it all in tomorrow after 8AM football

Not quite the era-appropriate look I was after, but non-garish achieved:

Old 09-01-2014, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Really happy with the outcome.

Kinda tough to get a good pic in my garage, the sun shines right in for most of the day, but big improvement over the old:

I also finally got a new bezel, the left vent has been broken since I bought the car seven years ago:

Night (not as offensively bright as it looks):

Bluetooth/phone works great, nice to finally have iPod integration so I can leave my 160gB classic tucked away. I really like that the colors are totally customizable too... It's always been a beef of mine trying to find a deck that actually matches the dash lights.

So it's not 100% what I originally wanted, but I'm happy with the results anyway. Only gripe is that I wish it had dual usb (front and rear), but for less than half the price of the Kenwood I was looking at I'm not complaining.