Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need some info on Cruise Control Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Need some info on Cruise Control Install

I am looking to install cruise control on my 98' CX hatch. I know that i need the cruise unit under the hood, vacuum lines, pedal assembly, brake switch, activation switch on dash, and settings switch on the column.

What i am unsure about is; does the CX come prewired for all the switches or do i need a dash harness? I have heard some people mention clock springs from the steering wheel, do i need this if the vehicle is already SRS? Lastly, for some reason the only info i can find on this is for manual vehicles, mines automatic does anyone know if it being automatic means i need any other connectors or things like that?

Thanks
Old 08-10-2009, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need some info on Cruise Control Install

bump
Old 08-10-2009, 03:04 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Hopefully you've read my write up.

My experience is only with 5th Gens, but I would think the following is universal:

• Yes, you need the clock spring with the cruise buttons. The wiring runs up to the steering wheel in the same loom.
  • No Civics come pre-wired for cruise. When you're removing the parts from the wreckers, you need to remove all the necessary wires with it. I strongly, strongly recommend you do not cut the wires but de-pin them as necessary and remove them from the loom. You will then have ALL the right wires/right colours/right lengths, and there is no soldering and splicing necessary.
  • If you're removing the CC from a MT, but installing on your AT, then you will need to extend one or two wires from the clutch switch to the correct location on the connector under your shifter. On a 5th Gen, this is a PNK wire and a BLK wire if memory serves ... might be a different colour for 6th.
Any other Q's and I'll try my best.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, that was a big question i had was weather i was still going to need the clutch switch, being as an automatic has none. I did see your write up and i wasnt sure how much carried over to EK's from EG's. Ill have to check the service manual on that clockspring, would it just be easier to get an entire column from the yard is possible?
Old 08-11-2009, 09:05 AM

Did the 6th Gen CX get tilt steering? (5th Gen didn't.) It would be good to get the whole column, IF you also want to add tilt steering. Otherwise, detaching the clockspring is pretty straightforward, and should be the least of your worries. Your biggest worry is going to be whether you have the patience to de-pin all of the wires necessary to re-install it. It's not that this is a HARD task, per se, but it does take time and patience.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:23 AM

A small correction to my above post: There will likely be a cut/re-connection/solder needed at the wiring for the brake pedal, as well as ~2 other wires: Ignition Coil and VSS (at least, this was required for the 5th Gen). Everything else you can just de-pin.

Last edited by deschlong; 08-11-2009 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

alright, thank you. I have most of the write ups printed out. I got a list of parts to get from the yard. I'm gona hopefully go Saturday and get the parts. ill be sure to post the progress.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I too would be interested in your progress. Like DeS, I added cruise control to my 93 Civic DX last fall, per http://honda.lioness.googlepages.com/cruisecontrol . All continues to work great. More importantly, after installing it I feel really good about troubleshooting the system should anything go wrong with it.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DeSchlong
A small correction to my above post: There will likely be a cut/re-connection/solder needed at the wiring for the brake pedal, as well as ~2 other wires: Ignition Coil and VSS (at least, this was required for the 5th Gen). Everything else you can just de-pin.
I'm not sure if the IGN (Blue) wire is necessary. The early version (92? 93?) of the manual shows it in the wiring diagram & troubleshooting guide, but my 95 manual says it is unused. I actually opened up one CC computer & found that the IGN input leads to a DEAD END on the circuit board.

This may not be true for all models & years, but I would only mess with IGN as a last resort, if everything else was hooked up & still didnt work. My first attempted installation omitted the Blue wire, but then i was on vacation & looking at a PDF copy of the manual (92/93), so i then hooked up the IGN. It didnt help.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry for the delay, i am going to the yard this saturday to hopefully get all the parts. Ill post how i make out later saturday evening, thanks again for the help
Old 09-19-2009, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well i hit the yard today, got all the parts (will post pics once i have them on the computer). Definitely an accurate depiction to say it will take a day to get all the wiring. I was at the yard from 12:00 to 5:30. I was lucky enough to find a 97' Lx that someone had hacked some of the engine hardness outta. The CC stuff was still intact, so instead of depinning i just cut the plugs out but left the CC wires in the plugs (pics will better show).

I found that Pink wire mentioned above, but on the 97' i pulled it from it was wired into nothing, just tied off in the loom.

I will start a new thread soon probably called something like EK cruise control install... I will link to it from here. thanks for all the help so far
Old 09-19-2009, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a lot of wiring to go through

bag of wiring, it'll be a fun weekend next week sorting through it and depinning wires
Old 09-19-2009, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It sure looks like it was a productive 5.5 hours at the yard. :-) What did you pay for everything?
Old 09-20-2009, 09:07 PM

Hey that vacuum assembly thing for the throttle(?) control sure is funny looking and quite different from the 5th Gen cable ones. And yeah, ^^^, what did you pay? Also, you have obtained your wiring diagrams & Helms manual for your 6th Gen, I hope? These are invaluable.

Any Q's and I am sure honda.lioness and I will be able to help.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

120 for everything, ill post better pictures of the actuator a lil later. I have a service manual for the car i am going to print out the wiring and vacuum schematics for the system this week and color code it so i can begin to sort the wiring and vacuum lines.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by blueBB4lude
120 for everything
Great! The only thing I do not recognize is the part that has (what looks like) blue and green buttons, positioned between the CC actuator and the cable reel assembly in your photos. The main switch on the dashboard? De-pinning was such a bear. I hope you find ways to make it easy. If not, persistence is everything. :-) Ditto what DeS said regarding help.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks again, and yea thats the main switch that goes in the dash.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Heres a link to the new thread i started to cover this install, Thank a lot

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...6#post40040106