Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EK Civic Cruise Control Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 EK Civic Cruise Control Install

I have wanted to do this for some time, after reading numerous guides on how to install cruise in EG's i decided to give this a go ahead. Thanks to DeShlong, RedRocket, and Honda.Lioness for their input so far. (heres a link to my previous post on the subject https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/need-some-info-cruise-control-install-2624287/) I went out to the yard last week armed with an EG write up and some wiring schematics for the EK cruise. I returned with 1) a hacked up EK harness 2) vacuum cruise control actuator 3) dash main switch 4) clock spring 5)steering wheel cruise controls 6)Cruise control unit 7)pedal set 8) a pile of mounting brackets and bolts

Here are some pics of the goodies;

I am still missing a little wiring for the brake pedal switch which i will go back for this weekend, i also just realized i am going to have a problem with the intake manifold. The previous EG cruise units were electronically controlled or so i believe. The EK uses vacuum from the intake manifold. The line can be seen in this picture from the service manual.

My CX which never had cruise, has this port cast into the manifold but it is not drilled out w/ a port. This leaves me with a problem. Either get another manifold, drill and tap mine, or find another place to connect this line. I dont think i can connect this line anywhere else since it seems to be reading vacuum pressure from the manifold after the throttle. I dont know of any other line on the manifold post throttle to tap into. If anyone has any ideas let me know. I will post updates in a bit once i sort through the wiring some more and work on my vacuum problem.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: EK Civic Cruise Control Install

Originally Posted by blueBB4lude
My CX which never had cruise, has this port cast into the manifold but it is not drilled out w/ a port. This leaves me with a problem. Either get another manifold, drill and tap mine, or find another place to connect this line. I dont think i can connect this line anywhere else since it seems to be reading vacuum pressure from the manifold after the throttle. I dont know of any other line on the manifold post throttle to tap into. If anyone has any ideas let me know.
A guy at https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/question-about-cruise-control-vacuum-lines-97-civic-1281666/ said to 'buy some hoses, put a T in the line to the [fuel pressure regulator] and route it over to the cruise control.'

Here's a February post from a guy who said he added cruise to his Civic CX and offers help: http://www.automotiveforums.com/t943..._civic_cx.html
Old 09-22-2009, 05:47 AM

your going through all that BS just for cruise control here i got a really good idea just drill a hole in the dash and firewall threat a peice of string through and clamp it when you reached your speed and wham oh instant cruise control !lol JP
Old 09-22-2009, 06:23 AM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

^^^ Maybe a back-up Plan B if it doesn't work out.

One thing I didn't spot in your pile o' parts was the gauge cluster w/ CC light. You'll need this, too, for it to function properly.

I've attached the wiring diagram print-out for a 1998 Honda Civic EX from Mitchell's OnDemand 5. It has all the specific pin locations for each wire in each connector. Important info, especially if you're moving from a MT to an AT.
Attached Images
Old 09-22-2009, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DeSchlong
One thing I didn't spot in your pile o' parts was the gauge cluster w/ CC light. You'll need this, too, for it to function properly.
Ya know I just skipped the gage cluster light. I do not miss it. In fact, months after adding OEM cruise control to my 93 Civic DX, I replaced the original DX cluster with an LX cluster (because I wanted a tachometer). So now I have a cluster CC light available but not connected. I have considered wiring it up, but I am resisting making more modifications to the DX harness. For the 92-95 Civics at least, this is merely an indicator light and is not needed for the CC to still work.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol ill consider the string. im doing it really because the EK is my work/daily driver and i commute. so the gas consumption is a big deal. Thats also why its still automatic and a d16. My eg is my weekend warrior.

I did get an lx dash with the light and everything. i didn't post pics cause it isnt necessary i don't think. i already installed it into my car and swamped the spedo w/ odometer (pics posted soon)

Ill check out that link about the fuel pressure regulator, thanks alot
Old 09-30-2009, 08:54 AM

Any updates? I think I can speak for both honda.lioness and I when I say we're anxious to hear how the install worked out.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well today i installed a power window/door lock/mirror conversion and then started the cruise install. i have a ton of pictures and some diagrams to help others once mine is fully installed and working. I will warn already, even with a good how to this is an annoying project. alot of wires and an akward working space (under dash and against firewall)
I do have a few questions for those that have done this on EG's.

My actuator (under the hood) has a harness that comes off of it and into the cabin where it connects to the cruise control unit (under dash). there are 3 brown wires and a red/black stripe wire and a white/black stripe wire. I know the 3 brown wires run into the cruise control unit, but i am not sure if i need the red/black stripe and white/black stripe. They don't run into the cruise control unit, i found the white/black on the wiper switch on the column. anyone know what these are and if they are needed? from what i can tell i don't think so

Also have some questions about the dash main button, i have 2 red wires, if i remember properly one red/black stripe and one red, that according to the wiring diagrams denote brightness controller and dimming circuit. Am i suppose to tie into the dimmer switch for the one? and i am a little confused what a dimming circuit is for the other.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

The Red/Blk wire is indeed for both dash cruise control lights controlled by the dimmer switch.

The Wht/Blk wire is for the wiper washer not for the cruise control.

If you remove the dash dimmer switch, you'll see that the connector has three wires: Red, Red/Blk, and Blk. You can tap the same colored cruise control wires for the main cc switch into the matching dimmer switch wires.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok well my inital attempt was not succesful, i believe their is an issue with my dash main switch wiring. I have a "phantom" dash button problem. The dash light will light up randomly weather the button is pressed or not pressed. Im drawing up a wiring diagram of what i did and maybe you guys can see any sorta issue with it.

Id have gotten to this quicker but i also did a power window, door, mirror conversion over the weekend and had some broken wire problems with my harnesses that have taken up some time

Thanks,
Old 12-16-2009, 10:48 PM

Hey - how did this turn out? Can you provide an update?
Old 12-26-2009, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 06-29-2013, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump, im seriously considering doing this also
Old 06-29-2013, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

impressive wiring/electrical skills a lot to go threw for CC but non the less neat