Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

1990 Accord high speed problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 Accord high speed problem

I need some help with my 90 Accord LX, automatic. At speeds of about 50MPH it starts to skip real bad and almost sounds like its backfiring. If I hit the accelerator and go faster it’s seems to be ok and if I pull over and let it idle it’s ok. It idles great when I’m parked.

I suspect the problem may be some work I just did. Recently I noticed an oil leak from a part on the front of the engine located just below where the upper radiator hose connects to engine. I don’t know what you call this part but it bolts on to the engine with three bolts, has a electrical connector that must be removed and looks like it has two cylinder type tubes coming out of it. I removed it, replaced the rubber gasket and re-installed it. Would this have anything to do with my current problem?
Old 11-23-2008, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Photo

Here is a photo of the part if anyone can tell me what it is and if this is the thing that could be causing myy problem.
Attached Images  
Old 11-23-2008, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

They look to be shift solenoids for the automatic transmission you've got. I see nothing that resembles them attached to the engine in the Honda Parts Catalog for the '90 Accord.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...KA4AT&catcgry5=

If they are, they will have no direct effect on how the engine runs.
They can (however) effect the transmission.

Let me think over what might be causing your other issue

P
Old 11-23-2008, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

P. Adams..Thanks for your reply and yes you are correct. I took another look and it is attached to the transmission. I removed, checked it made sure the screens were clean and re-installed it. But there was no change. The problem is after you get going down the road the car seems to jerk like its running out of gas or something. When I stop and put it in N or P the engine is fine and runs strong. So maybe it is a transmission issue. What's odd is that is comes and goes. It will be ok for a few miles and then start again. I never had this problem until I first removed this part. Did I mess something or is it just defective?
Old 11-23-2008, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It sounds like you may have an issue with the overdriven 4th speed or the Lock-Up Torque Converter. This happens just at the point that you would expect either of these to engage - (light throttle / steady state), and it stops happening just when you'd expect either one to disengage - (Acceleration / decelleration)
The system is equipped with a second set of shift solenoids. I would suggest checking the continuity of the first set you pulled and on the second set; not only pull and clean the screens but check continuity as well.

P
Old 11-23-2008, 02:18 PM

That kind of sounds like the EGR ports are clogged. Does it run fine cold and then have this issue after warmup? Just in lower rpms cruising? If you accelerate, does it clear up? How many miles and have the EGR ports ever been cleaned since you've owned it?
Old 11-23-2008, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A valid question, but I want to add something to the convesation.
On both the OBD, OBD1 and the OBD2 systems, an EGR failure will often set a DTC code.
It will (most of the time) become evident between the rpm range of 1700 to 2100 rpm as the valve first starts opening.
And if it's a blockage of just several port orifices, it will manifest itself like a cylinder drop-out (true) - but it would not be felt Steady/State since the system isn't calling for EGR flow at that time anyway.
It is something to be considered, but it would come on gradually; not after you touched something.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

All good point....I will check the continuity and screens on both sets of shift solenoids and also take a look at the EGR ports as well. Is it possible I may have shorted it out the solenoid when removing it as I did not disconnect the battery?
Old 11-23-2008, 04:26 PM

True, check the simple things first. When I needed a port cleaning, I never got any codes. It would run fine at startup, in open loop. My problem came on pretty sudden, or maybe I just didn't notice it getting worse.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

back for some more advice......I pulled both sets of shift solenoids checked the continuity and was good. I also cleaned the screens. When I took it for a test drive everything was ok for about four or five miles and then at around 2000 - 2500 RPM in D1 the car started to jerk as if it was running out of gas. When you step on the gas pedal and run at 3000 RPM or above it clears up. Or when you pull over put it in P or N the engine seems strong and runs fine. I parked it for about 30 mins got back on the road and then at about four miles it started acting up - same thing like it was running out of gas and at about the same speed and RPM 2000-2500. Could it be a fuel problem? I only suspect the shift solenoid because this was the part I removed to rplace a bad gasket and then I started having this problem. I'm open to suggestions that anyone may have. Thanks
Old 11-29-2008, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You say it is strong above 3000 RPM, a fuel delivery problem from the fuel pump would show its face at higher RPM range, your problem sounds like 3 out of 4 EGR ports are clogged forcing the EGR gasses to one cylinder killing it, then the O2 sensor acting on bad emissions effecting the rest of the engine.

Disconnect the EGR vacuum hose and plug it then do another warm test drive.