All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Amsoil or Royal Purple

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Amsoil or Royal Purple

I'm sure every engine design will be a bit different but according to my Blackstone Labs reports on my 1993 Accord (f22 stock block) 253k miles:

Mobil1 "supersyn" 5w30 - poor protection against wear, had high levels of metals after only 3k miles. Iron and Lead levels were above universal averages of 4900 mile oil change samples)

Royal Purple 5w30 - MUCH better protection than before. My wear metals at 4,900 miles were half the levels of the Mobil1 at 3,000.

Mobil1 3k miles: Iron 18; Lead 7
RP 4.9k miles: Iron 10; Lead 4

Silicon which is dirt getting past the air filter (may add to metal wear) was 12 with the Mobile1 and 13 with the RP so dirt levels were very similar.

Here's the text excerpts from my reports:

Mobil1 3k miles:

"BENJAMIN: Honda manufactures nice wearing engines and yours is certainly no exception. The
universal averages for typical wear metals in oil from Honda's 2.2L 4-cylinder are based on 4900 miles
of oil use. Your oil was in service for 3069 miles and all of the wear metals read pretty close to those
averages. If you have been using 3000-plus mile oil changes during the life of this engine it is no
wonder it is still going strong at 202,500 total miles. Silicon was a bit high and may be from dirt getting
past the air filter. All else checked out fine. Try 4,000 miles for your next sample."

Royal Purple 4.9k miles:

"BENJAMIN: The switch to RP 5W/30 appears to have agreed with your Honda's engine. You ran the oil
4,888 miles and iron, from steel parts like cylinders, improved significantly. This brand and type of oil uses
more moly, which is an anti-wear additive and more magnesium, which is a detergent/dispersant additive,
compared to the previous brand you were using. Insolubles, which are oxidized solids caused by heat, use,
and blow-by, read low at 0.3%, so oil filtration and combustion were effective. No problems found at
226,179 miles. Try 5,500 miles for next sample."
Old 11-30-2011, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rhymeshark916
"In the money", - COD: Black Ops wager matches.

Just because they put it on the market doesn't mean you need it. People like to waste money or get easily brained washed like the corporate America. Everything is commercialized.

Castrol syntec blend or regular is just fine for all my Honda cars.
Well i don't think the above post is commercialized... Not everything lol... This would also mean the YouTube video of the test comparison between RP and two other leading brands( u can tell one is mobile one from the bottle) is not lieing... RP out did its competitors ten fold.... and with the test above not everything is commercialized...
Old 11-30-2011, 11:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i never really got that into it about zddp etc but ive been running mobil 1 an never had a problem or herd of a problem using it... all my motors were beat on including the motor setup i got now i went from b20z to b20vtec to b20vtec nitrous an we jst recently dropped the pan an everything was fresh looked brand new... even the compression across the board is still 240...

ive " heard " a few times about royal purp breaking down really quick an causing shearing is this a fact i dunno but heard it more then once... im not saying mobil one is better or worse but i still think u cant go wrong with it.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by egjdmcivichatch
i never really got that into it about zddp etc but ive been running mobil 1 an never had a problem or herd of a problem using it... all my motors were beat on including the motor setup i got now i went from b20z to b20vtec to b20vtec nitrous an we jst recently dropped the pan an everything was fresh looked brand new... even the compression across the board is still 240...

ive " heard " a few times about royal purp breaking down really quick an causing shearing is this a fact i dunno but heard it more then once... im not saying mobil one is better or worse but i still think u cant go wrong with it.
I'm not trying to knock mobile 1 it meets requirements and does the job the op just wanted to hear wat people thought/think and why... But with the test from 19dabeast85 shows that mobile breaks down faster.... It's fine to use but for me especially for road racing I'm using RP

Last edited by crxsi1; 12-01-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

r u talking about the new RP that u can get at Walmart/kragen which is rated API SN or their XPR race oil ?
Old 12-01-2011, 02:30 PM
All Motor Mentor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by egjdmcivichatch
Those aren't the areas that will experience problem with an oil that has low amounts of zinc in it. Try looking at the cams and rocker arm pads in particular and see how they're doing.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:04 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 19dabeast85
Royal Purple 5w30 - MUCH better protection than before. My wear metals at 4,900 miles were half the levels of the Mobil1 at 3,000.

Mobil1 3k miles: Iron 18; Lead 7
RP 4.9k miles: Iron 10; Lead 4

Silicon which is dirt getting past the air filter (may add to metal wear) was 12 with the Mobile1 and 13 with the RP so dirt levels were very similar.

Here's the text excerpts from my reports:

Mobil1 3k miles:

"BENJAMIN: Honda manufactures nice wearing engines and yours is certainly no exception. The
universal averages for typical wear metals in oil from Honda's 2.2L 4-cylinder are based on 4900 miles
of oil use. Your oil was in service for 3069 miles and all of the wear metals read pretty close to those
averages. If you have been using 3000-plus mile oil changes during the life of this engine it is no
wonder it is still going strong at 202,500 total miles. Silicon was a bit high and may be from dirt getting
past the air filter. All else checked out fine. Try 4,000 miles for your next sample."

Royal Purple 4.9k miles:

"BENJAMIN: The switch to RP 5W/30 appears to have agreed with your Honda's engine. You ran the oil
4,888 miles and iron, from steel parts like cylinders, improved significantly. This brand and type of oil uses
more moly, which is an anti-wear additive and more magnesium, which is a detergent/dispersant additive,
compared to the previous brand you were using. Insolubles, which are oxidized solids caused by heat, use,
and blow-by, read low at 0.3%, so oil filtration and combustion were effective. No problems found at
226,179 miles. Try 5,500 miles for next sample."
That's really killer. Settles that a bit.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

brad penn hands down
Old 12-02-2011, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Any recommendations about a certain brand with out providing an actual used oil analysis like 19dabeast85 did is kinda useless. Go to BITOG under the UOA section and you'll see all the solid proof you need on pretty much every kind of oil available.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Amsoil- Great
RP- Overpriced
Mobil 1- Not what it used to be
Old 12-07-2011, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dont know why youre putting in some expensive oil in your stock acura. your motor doesnt need anything than pennzoil conventional 5w-30. this is an EXCELLENT oil or really any name brand conventional oil!

the molybdenum in the royal purple is probably what kept your engine quiet over amsoil. amsoil doesnt use this additive or uses very little of it. pennzoil conventional is loaded with this stuff. i assure you that conventional will protect your integra the same as any synthetic. synthetic is overrated and unnecessary in 90% of cars.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by williamZ
Mobil 1- Not what it used to be
when Exxon bought Mobil they cheapened the formula. Now Walmart sells it for like 5 bucks a quart and people think its still the same? lol
Old 01-14-2013, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Some of the responses here make me laugh. Why put Royal Purple in a stock motor you may ask? Well for one, it works amazing on high milage vehicles. Two, I prefer to treat my car like my child and take care of it as much as possible. To address another post, and the answer was already posted, but I will reiterate the point: OILS ARE NOT ALL THE SAME. If you think so, and you think oil is oil, then obviously you have no clue on why there are different weight, zinc content, etc. Now, from personal experience, I swear by Royal Purple and every vehicle at my house runs Royal Purple, even if it is stock.

Last edited by Hooligan90; 01-22-2013 at 06:18 AM.