Notices
Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

1983 Civic wagon 5 speed

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 1983 Civic wagon 5 speed

I don't plan on getting rid of it! How lucky, I had no idea it was that rare. Cool find from a junkyard car!
Got around to replacing brake pads the other day, and man were the old ones THRASHED!! As it turns out, station wagon brakes are different than the hatch brakes.. So I have for sale some pads for a hatchback lol! Got the last set of wagon brakes from the NAPA shipping center.

Got to go to my parts car and get some more work done there as well!

Went from this:

To this:

Lots of progress for me and a friend, with absolutely no combined experience pulling an engine haha. Going to be getting an engine stand this week, then I can borrow/rent a hoist and get it out! Needless to say, I'm very excited!

Doug
Old 08-31-2014, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow can't believe I haven't updated in a while.. Got the engine pulled with the help of a few friends!

Moved and started a job so haven't yet found a place to work on the engine..
BUT Got some "new" wheels with my first paycheck -
14x6 ARE 398's. Most pictures/info that I found on Google were three piece but these say two piece on them.. Anyway, supposed to be from between 1980 and 85 so they're period correct which is also cool.
Put in my first order of new stuff tonight so should be able to start updating the rear suspension in the next week or two!

All 4 center caps!

Need to be cleaned!

After first round of cleaning. Needs more!

Should be getting new rear Struts and mounts, Leaf spring bushings, and steering bushing and bearing in along with a few other small things in the next week or two and will update accordingly!

Doug
Old 09-17-2014, 03:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, got my new rear struts in the mail and put them on yesterday!

The old ones were horrible and possibly original

I bought some speakers for $10 at Goodwill the other day and wired them up last night. REally nice to have 4 speakers now, even if they aren't loud.

Also at Goodwill, I stocked up on Cassettes. Eventually i may have someone rebuild the stock radio so that it will play cassettes and get radio haha.

I've decided/had to move up the timescale on the project and so will be acquiring more parts over the next few weeks and hopefully weeding out the wiring starting in a week or two. The new goal is to have everything done in 4 weeks starting mid-December..

But really, I'll be back from my job in South Caroliona and school won't start until second week of January. I figure that with enough friends stopping in to help I can get the Honda engine pulled, the bay cleaned up, and the Nissan rebuilt at least mostly (only planning on doing bearings, piston rings, seals/gaskets, timing, and valve stem seals unless I find worse or am told I should do more b someone who knows more than me (anyone lol.) Which leaves wiring to figure out how to do, driveshafts to be made (if you know a good Atlanta local place I'd love to hear it) after figuring out engine and transmission mounting, and wiring in a new fuel pump and figuring out exhaust.. Lol. So I'll have quite a list and that's just for getting it running. Still need to figure out a new spring to run in front that will be stiffer and more ready for the new weight that will be up there.

Criticism, suggestions etc welcome as always.

Doug
The following users liked this post:
Old 09-27-2014, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Was at the junkyard today and found a first gen Accord in Great shape other than an engine fire! If you have any requests for parts off it, just let me know and I'll try to go pull them for you!

I took all the emblems off (I figured people would need those first) except front fender ones. If you want one let me know

Also got the steering wheel and shift **** (for my Civic) along with a Prelude shift **** that's in pretty good shape.

And the Driver's mirror (also for grabs if you want it!)

I'm in the process of stripping the paint off of my new ARE's so that I can refinish the gold on them! It was really screwed up before.

In other news, I'll be getting a welder this week and starting a new project with this thing..

Doug
Old 09-27-2014, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If u wanna sell either of those shift ***** I want em... Nice build
Old 09-29-2014, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a Gen II Accord... (dual headlights)

BTW, I believe that the brakes are bigger but interchangeable with those of a Gen II Civic which could be a big advantage with a station wagon..
Old 09-29-2014, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Roger that, thanks for the clarification!
That's very interesting. From what I've read somewhere on here, 2nd gen Accord brakes are bolt on as well and that's what I was planning on doing.

Edit: and by 2nd gen Accord, I Obviously meant 84-85 Accords... duh..

https://honda-tech.com/classic-honda...grade-3056342/

Last edited by dquizten; 09-30-2014 at 08:14 PM. Reason: I'm dumb
Old 10-06-2014, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not real sure how it happened, but I have a blown headgasket. Ordering everything tonight to hopefully get it fixed this weekend. Luckily, I just got the service manual in this weekend.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The Honda Accord hatch pictured above is a first generation Accord. First gens had dual round lights and the second gen had dual squares.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hello everybody. I am kinda new to the forum. I have a 1982 Honda civic wagon. Been reading all the ideas everyone has and what to do. I've made a check list of things I need to get done.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Welcome!
You should start up a thread of your own so we can all keep track of your updates, and you can ask questions in your thread too. Any questions in specific feel free to PM me, too!
Old 12-02-2014, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, since my last post I drained some oil and found it still clear so have come to the conclusion that the headgasket isn't blown and I probably just got some condensation on the oil filler cap. Have put about 600 more miles on it and pushed it hard, too. Got 45 mpgs on my last trip so I'm more than a little happy with that!
Recently carried 120 pounds of cast iron home and is currently serving as portable storage to my Craigslist toolbox until I can get it moved home December 12th. Counting down 11 days and about 550 miles until the engine comes out!

Be back soon with more updates!
Doug
Old 12-04-2014, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sweet
Old 12-08-2014, 01:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

"...Recently carried 120 pounds of cast iron home and is currently serving as portable storage to my Craigslist toolbox until I can get it moved home December 12th. Counting down 11 days and about 550 miles until the engine comes out!"

I hope that you'll keep us informed as to the disposition of the Honda engine. I can always use a extra 1.5..

mjrtassoc@gmail.com
Old 12-14-2014, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good progress so far today. Taking a break for dinner now
Got the car on Jack stands at 11:30. Took a lunch break from about 12:30-1.
Had a friend come by and help out 3:30-4:30, when I took the last pics and came in. Just about all that's left to do is remove the CV axles and hook up the hoist! GrumpyOne, come get it!
Parts car is here as well now and I'll start pulling the wiring tomorrow. On to my very few pics. I'll have more at the end of the night when I have the engine out!

Doug
Old 12-15-2014, 03:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

BTW, These engines can come out of the bottom as well. There's available a device that fits right in the inner fender channels with a long screw thread in the middle just lowers it down.

Once down on a cart, separation from the tranny is a cinch.

Your big challenge is going to be fitting the new engine tranny and I don't envy that joby at all!

JT
Old 12-15-2014, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Got the engine out this afternoon. had some hangups with the exhaust and the shift linkage, but the angle grinder and a cutting disc helped me out there
Got the engine bay wiped down/ degreased some and we've started splitting open the sheathing on both cars. Happy with today's progress but we've got a looong way to go. Big shout out to my friends Sean and Blake for helping make this possible.

More to come. Stay Tuned.
Doug
Old 12-16-2014, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Didn't do much more last night but got some done so far today. Taking a lunch break now.

Dude, where's my car?

Oh, there it is.

Started pulling the dash on the Nissan to get access to all the wiring. Just need to get the instrument panel out then the dash will be free. Really want to get that done today so I can have it ready to sell. Anyone want a Pulsar for a race car? It's mostly in good shape and cheap. Just come get it.

Doug
Old 12-18-2014, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Got some work done on the wiring today. Pulled almost everything I should need out of the Nissan and I spent some time stripping down the harness for what I won't need in the Honda.

Before I started stripping it down.

And a shot of the new calipers I have for the front. Yes, I have bigger rotors to match but can't hold both for a picture haha. These were intended for an 84 Accord.

I'll be back in with more updates soon, hopefully.
Doug
Old 12-20-2014, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Got some more done. Engine and transmission are relatively mated up, enough that I'll be ready for mounts. Degreasing it this afternoon to make it easier to handle the next few days. Intake and exhaust Manifolds are off. The exhaust looks a little carbon-y but the camshafts look excellent, no scoring at all.

There's some silver under there after all!

Doug
Old 12-22-2014, 02:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dquizten
Got some more done. Engine and transmission are relatively mated up, enough that I'll be ready for mounts. Degreasing it this afternoon to make it easier to handle the next few days. Intake and exhaust Manifolds are off. The exhaust looks a little carbon-y but the camshafts look excellent, no scoring at all.
Doug

You have a long trail of work to get done and I don't envy you a bit. I'm way too old for such endeavors!
Old 08-04-2016, 07:03 PM
Trial User

DOES ANYONE HAVE A REAR AXLE SCHEMATIC FOR THIS 83 CIVIC WAGON?

QUOTE=ej1995;49475515]Love these wagons! Ok, so this experience with a Honda will be like no other Honda. They arent really modification friendly in my opinion, but they are awesome nonetheless. Changing fluids and filters would be a good place to start. Also sounds like you need a set of valve stem seals.

If you ever have any carb problems, just ditch the stock junk and spend the BEST 300 bucks youve ever spent and buy the Redline Weber 32/36DGEV kit. It is more power when you want it, better fuel economy when youre easy on it, and it eliminates the nightmare of vacuum lines under the hood. This is single-handedly the best modification you will ever make to your carbureted Honda.

Suspension modification isnt easy or straight forward. Pretty much everything has to be custom or modified to work from another vehicle. My 81 sedan was lowered on aftermarket coil springs and sleeves for a 4th or 5th generation Civic on Gabriel struts.

Your brakes should be more than sufficient as long as you use good pads and shoes and keep everything greased and working at its best.

Wheels will also be a nice upgrade but I doubt you will want anything over 6.5 inches wide.

Any questions, let me know![/QUOTE]
The following users liked this post: