Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

mfactory or obx lsd?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mfactory or obx lsd?

ive researched quite a few lsd's and ive gotten down to either a obx or a mfactory. i know that the obx is the cheapest but also read that it cant withstand alot of power. but on the other hand ive havent heard of anything bad about the mfactorys. my setup it a lsvtec with a gsr trans looking to put down around 400-450whp. what im asking is will i be good with the cheaper of the two "the obx" or shud i spend the extra money on the mfactory?

thanks
john
Old 03-10-2010, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: mfactory or obx lsd?

mfactory makes some top notch stuff. obx sucks
Old 03-11-2010, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was never a fan of obx either but if I cud get away with a cheaper LSD and it will work just as good why not? That way I would could spend the difference into other parts that I need. Anyone else with some opinions?
Old 03-11-2010, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think you have to weight the quality of the item you're buying, the quality of material, workmanship etc... I have to admit that I would never buy a single item made by OBX, I have heard too many stories of a wide range of their products failing after short amounts of time or stress fractures and cracks on their products from almost no heavy use. I think you'd be better off to spend a bit more and buy the MFactory LSD. This is coming from someone who is gonna buy their LSD and their Final Drive gears so take it how you will.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 93egboosted
ive researched quite a few lsd's and ive gotten down to either a obx or a mfactory. i know that the obx is the cheapest but also read that it cant withstand alot of power. but on the other hand ive havent heard of anything bad about the mfactorys. my setup it a lsvtec with a gsr trans looking to put down around 400-450whp. what im asking is will i be good with the cheaper of the two "the obx" or shud i spend the extra money on the mfactory?

thanks
john
I ran a OBX LSD for 4 years without any problems. I was making 450 WHP and did not run into any serious issues. As long as you install the LSD correctly you should not have any issues. The biggest problem I had with the OBX unit was that it was extremely diffcult to get the axle out when I needed to change it. Other than that for the power you want it will work. PS: I was running the first batch of the OBX LSD. Hope that helps. The mfactory is a way better unit, if you can afford it get that instead. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

u get what you pay for. if i did buy the obx i think it possibly could be a weak link. im heading towards the mfactory. its only 650 more dollars! ha
Old 03-13-2010, 03:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by drvfast
I ran a OBX LSD for 4 years without any problems. I was making 450 WHP and did not run into any serious issues. As long as you install the LSD correctly you should not have any issues. The biggest problem I had with the OBX unit was that it was extremely diffcult to get the axle out when I needed to change it. Other than that for the power you want it will work. PS: I was running the first batch of the OBX LSD. Hope that helps. The mfactory is a way better unit, if you can afford it get that instead. Just my 2 cents.
How do you install something correctly that isn't manufactured correctly in the first place though? Sure, you have some OBX pieces that come though and will for the most part... work - and most of the alright ones seem to be from the first production set. But quality control is non-existant and you get "machined" parts that are completely burred on the inside, spring washers cracked and installed incorrectly, bolts that aren't torqued evenly, and I even had one that didn't even have the holes for the ring gear tapped! How does that even get out of the factory?

OP, you end up paying another $300 or so for a diff such as MFactory that you know isn't going to self-destruct three years down the road, and the likelihood of you talking to customer service about replacing the diff you recieved because it was bad or shouldn't have made it past QC is nearly non-existant with MFactory.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Does anyone know at what point to upgrade from MFactory to a quaife, or how much power a Mfactory diff can handle? Thanks
Old 03-16-2010, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That point will never be reached