Notices
Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

B tranny weakness, case flex and what else?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 04:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B tranny weakness, case flex and what else?

When getting 700+ whp, launching hard, sometimes gears break. I'm researching into this subject. If you have first hand experience, and ideas and theories please post. There was some talk about the transmission case flex. I've seen those Phantom Grip gear cradles that takes out reverse gear, how well do they work? When was slipper clutch introduced to Honda drag racing? Just trying to learn as much as possible. Thank you in advance for your time. Please post pictures if you have some. I'd like to see what the damages are.

Old 01-01-2007, 06:42 AM
G2K

Default Re: B tranny weakness, case flex and what else? (tsukuba07)

The Phanotm cradle never really worked right for most people that I know. It seems to be out of spec, but the liberty or buck's cradle seem to work fine. Also they do not take out reverse, instead they remove 5th gear. With that being said, I don't know what class your looking into running, but depending on the class, you can do alot of different things with the tranny. If your running something like SFWD, then you can run aftermarket gear set and the cradle, which should be more then enough for some solid high hp runs. Just remember even with a built trannsmission, you still might break it, theres lots of varibles in what causes a tranny to break. And in case your looking to run hotrod, I would contact Liberty about their gearsets, and billet bellhousing. Goodluck with your endevours.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:52 AM

Default Re: B tranny weakness, case flex and what else? (G2K)

I did not know liberty makes replacement gear sets for the B tranny. Does anyone already have the pricing info? Billet bellhousing... I heard that Eggnum runs a custom machined one priced at $3000-ish.

I want to learn more about high power drag racing and its effect on transmission. If any SFWD or Hot Rod competitor would like to share your tranny experience please post. What is your budget for tranny, what problems have you encountered and what steps have you taken to try to remedy to problem. I know in Hot Rod you can get a XTRAC but that not every team can afford that. And, if you buy an EXTRAC, does it really solved all the tranny problem?!
Old 01-01-2007, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you have to know what you are dealing with in a hotrod car, and how to apply the power so you dont break ****.

http://www.libertysgears.com
Old 01-01-2007, 09:23 AM

Default Re: B tranny weakness, case flex and what else? (dturbocivic)

thanks for the link. are libery gears straight cut? does anybody have pictures of their Honda gear set and/or bellhousing? i saw some pix of straight cut gears on their set but I don't think they were Honda's.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

this has been talked for a long time and seems to me that its the most hush under the hondacamp, alot of guys out there do not like to talk about transmissions, and how they hold up in there cars. but the science to making power is freely discussed. stock honda gears hold up quite a bit but i would like to see if anyone would chime in that has some knowledge/experience in this field to shed some light on why and how, but well prolly just get alot of nothing
Old 01-01-2007, 12:48 PM
G2K

Default Re: B tranny weakness, case flex and what else? (MrParks)

If anyone wants to know any information about the B-series tranny's, I would contact Jeromie @ the Eggnum's Camp, He's on here all the time. He told me just about everything I needed to know at the last moroso event. He doesn't hide any secrets and is always willing to help people out. And yes they use the liberty straight-cut gears, and the bellhousing. I belive the housing is less then $3k. Also the Xtrac is very expensive unit. Its a good unit overall, but I can't see really needing it since stephanie can run 7.9's on the stock h pattern box.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:30 PM

i thought Eggnum has a custom bell housing machined. i heard the $3k tag. but if it's a liberty on their web site it is listed at $1700.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

they use a liberty gears 3995.00, bell housing 1700.00 thats the web price
Old 01-01-2007, 01:50 PM

im pretty sure you need a working reverse when competing lol
Old 01-01-2007, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by G2K &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If anyone wants to know any information about the B-series tranny's, I would contact Jeromie @ the Eggnum's Camp, He's on here all the time. He told me just about everything I needed to know at the last moroso event. He doesn't hide any secrets and is always willing to help people out. And yes they use the liberty straight-cut gears, and the bellhousing. I belive the housing is less then $3k. Also the Xtrac is very expensive unit. Its a good unit overall, but I can't see really needing it since stephanie can run 7.9's on the stock h pattern box.</TD></TR></TABLE> Thankyou G2K, BTW it is EGGUM
We use the Liberty Gearset $3950 on their site
We use the Liberty Handcuff $185 on their site
We use the Liberty Billet Bellhousing $1700 on their site

I cannot say enough about the Liberty Products they work!!
Yes they are straight cut
They are not Clutchless!! You will need to clutch the trans or Have a interupt in the mix Via strain guage or some other voodoo, blackmagik shift cut

We use a Long shifter in the car
We have a strain guage on the shifter, that is connected to our Bigstuff 3 ecu, after months of testing and datalogging with a oscilliscope, we wrote a code for the Bigstuff, when it see certain voltage via the strain guage it interupts the motor in a fashion that keeps the EGT up and comes BACK on in hurry. (We tried many different Styles of interupts, ( turn ignition output off, fuel cut, Msd Limiters ) finally we found the way we were looking for!!

You can purchase this from Precision Turbo:
You MUST have a Bigstuff 3
You CAN upgrade you Bigstuff if you already have one.
The strain guage, shifter arm is included ( Complete shifter is not)
If SERIOUSLY interested call Precision Turbo for pricing, You will have to speak to Harry.
This is not something for a daily driven car!
If you have questions about this without serious intent to buy, PM ME!! Harry is a busy man!! I can get you up to speed on, Is this the correct upgrade for you or not?

Anyway I hope this all helps clear up any questions about our setup.

I will post on here what we used to do when we had stock gear and synchroe/trans running 8.40@ 175mph. I will do that in a new post ( my fingers are tired). Sorry so long.
Jeromie
Old 01-01-2007, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B tranny weakness, case flex and what else? (FMUNK)

Good info.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

In the 2005 season we ran Used (lord knows how many miles) B16 Hydro trans.
Circuit Worx final Drive (4.73)
Phantom Grip Handcuff (piece of crap)
2 qts Mobile1 full synthetic oil

We only broke:
1 second gear (right at the top of the rpm range, shifted to next gear and won race, I thought it blew the tires off......after looking at the data-log a couple days later I realized something broke. walked out into the shop put the car in second and pushed the car forward. Glad I found it then that at a Test session.)
One 1st gear: (Norwalk NOPI, first round of elim against Ladwig. car just hooked really good. We were 60fting in the 1.33-1.35 range back then)
Cracked 1 Bell housing: pomona 2005 when we ran 3 8.4x's in a row, guess it split the case on the 3rd, had a bye to the final.....did a good burnout.....Did not launch so good....when we drove it down the track on the bye it was already cracked...so it slung oil all over the clutch......did not have a chance against Lummus back then anyway...but we gave it all we had )

We basically interrupted the motor using the clutch switch, So the car could be full throttle shifted consistently. keeping boost up because the throttle was not cracked.

We used a MSD limiter as an interrupt.

NOTE: We used this exact same setup in 2006 with the exception of all the Liberty Parts. We ran 8.26@ 183mph using this.
8.26@183mph Clutching the car every shift.

We have a handbrake in the car........but use a Line Lock to hold the pressure. She lets off the LL when she let off the clutch.
So in a roundabout way when she is dragging the car into the beams......it somewhat preloaded everything in the front. This may make a small difference.

So that is it!! Very simple
Hope this helped someone out.
Later
jeromie

Old 01-01-2007, 06:04 PM
I'm really 2slow

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FMUNK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">In the 2005 season we ran Used (lord knows how many miles) B16 Hydro trans.
Circuit Worx final Drive (4.73)
Phantom Grip Handcuff (piece of crap)
2 qts Mobile1 full synthetic oil

Later
jeromie

</TD></TR></TABLE>was that with 2-4 b16 gears?
Old 01-01-2007, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B tranny weakness, case flex and what else? (2FAST4U831)

Whatever trans was behind a Civic SI, that is what we had, OEM gears and synchros factory ratios.
I sold the gearset to dturbocivic after we used them for a season. He can tell you how they looked.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:56 PM
I'm really 2slow

I believe you with the proper gearing im sure you can pick up .2-.4 seconds.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FMUNK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Whatever trans was behind a Civic SI, that is what we had, OEM gears and synchros factory ratios.
I sold the gearset to dturbocivic after we used them for a season. He can tell you how they looked. </TD></TR></TABLE>

were the gears treated in anyway?
how about shimming the gears for a tighter clearance,
thanks for all your insight in trannys
Old 01-01-2007, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No Treating
Shiming was the same as OEM

We opened OEM trans installed Final drive and Cuff and that was it.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:56 PM
I'm really 2slow

pretty impressive for what it was was the car also on 28" tires back in 05?
Old 01-01-2007, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FMUNK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No Treating
Shiming was the same as OEM

We opened OEM trans installed Final drive and Cuff and that was it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

did your clutch play a big roll in not breaking parts sp quickly? seems like clutch slippage would be a factor in not tearing gears up

Modified by MrParks at 9:21 PM 1/1/2007
Old 01-01-2007, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

uh........what slippage? We have a Tilton carbon/carbon there is no slippage. We do not have a SLIPPER like some other people in the class.
But we did prove you could beat those people without it.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:49 AM

thank you for the information FMUNK. i can't reply to PM's privately yet. can you show me pix of the liberty bell housing?
Old 01-02-2007, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am in the process of building our online store now. I will have Product pics of the Liberty stuff available in a day or so.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Heres the pics of the bellhousing.....we have it in stock too...

Howard
Old 01-02-2007, 11:53 AM

Default Re: B tranny weakness, case flex and what else? (AR Fab)

wow. that's beautiful. hmm, so the weakness was in the bellhousing, not the tranny case?

Modified by tsukuba07 at 1:06 PM 1/2/2007

Quick Reply: B tranny weakness, case flex and what else?