Notices

New Air Compressor set up.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Air Compressor set up.

I just wanted to share my new air compressor set up. I bought a 60 gallon Ingersoll Rand single stage compressor a few weeks ago. I put it in my basement for several reasons.
Mu basement floor is not level so I put wedge anchors in and use leveling nuts and leveled it up. I used a gasket material I got from work that is make just for 1/2 bolts. To reduce vibration.

I am pipping it all using copper, I put a dryer,regulator and oilier within a few feet of the compressor. I know these tend to be better placed further away but most of the time I use my compressor is in the basement.

I planed on running a line out to the garage but I cant decide if I should run out a line from my regulator so I don't need a regulator in my garage but if I need more pressure I will have to run into the house. Or run it out unregulated and put a regulator in the garage. this second option makes more sense but then my line out to the garage wont be going through the filter and oilier. I don't want to buy another filter/oiler if I don't have to.

Really just wanted to share.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Air Compressor set up.

nice , how much did you pick it up for. looking to buy one soon
Old 08-25-2010, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks great, except that wiring seems a little undersized. Is the main panel nearby?

If you use it a LOT, I'd suggest taking a copper coil several feet long and putting it between the tank and dryer. Add airflow near it, and the extra cooling will help the dryer squeeze water from the air. Cooler air condenses water easier. I've also seen old cast iron hydronic radiators used for that, although it was for the major airflow needs of a sandblaster.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's the same compressor I bought a year ago. I love it! Super quiet too compared to my old IR.

HiProfile, wiring looks fine. If I remember right the manual asked for 10awg.

I also put rubber isolation mounts under the feet and got quite a bit quieter. Mine is in the garage, but since yours is in the house I'd definately do it. I'd hate to be woken up by that thing. lol
Old 08-25-2010, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

that wire looks like 10-2 wire... should be plenty sufficient. if its 12-2 your gonna need to change it to 10-2

the setup looks nice im jealous!
Old 08-25-2010, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The wire is 10-2 which is ample considering I put it on a double pole 30 amp breaker.

I love this compressor it recovers so damn quickly. I was saving for a two stage 60 gallon but I just couldnt justify the extra cost.

I am a big fan of Ingersoll-Rand. They build quality tools.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 808DB1
nice , how much did you pick it up for. looking to buy one soon
It was 799 at tractor supply. It is normally 899. When I saw it on sale I had to buy one.

Before this I had a 6 gallon Porter cable in my basement and a 15 gallon Dewalt in my garage. I was constantly waiting on air pressure. They were oil free compressors which were louder than this one.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HiProfile
Looks great, except that wiring seems a little undersized. Is the main panel nearby?

If you use it a LOT, I'd suggest taking a copper coil several feet long and putting it between the tank and dryer. Add airflow near it, and the extra cooling will help the dryer squeeze water from the air. Cooler air condenses water easier. I've also seen old cast iron hydronic radiators used for that, although it was for the major airflow needs of a sandblaster.
Yes the main is about 8' from the compressor which is another reason I decided to put it in the basement.

I am confused by what you are telling me about the copper coil.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's only good to do that if you are using it a lot. IE: painting a car, constant air tool work, etc.... It helps the small water droplets in the tubing condense and make larger water droplets so the water seperator can collect it all.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just bought a new Ingersoll compressor also, after my old husky piece of junk fused the connecting rod to the crank, lol. I was fed up with the noise of the piston compressors, so I broke into the piggy bank and bought this one..

Rotary screw is so quiet..
Old 08-27-2010, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tepid1
It's only good to do that if you are using it a lot. IE: painting a car, constant air tool work, etc.... It helps the small water droplets in the tubing condense and make larger water droplets so the water seperator can collect it all.
Bingo. I'm a big fan of DIY media blasting, and the dryer the air, the better. Otherwise with low air usage, the moisture will just condense inside the tank. That's how they fill up with water. That's also how unlined tanks rust.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:28 PM
OG Fabricator

Get an auto tank purge valve. (Purges the water that collects in the tank as the machine runs). We have ours set to blast every 15 minutes. One of my few enjoyments left in this business is watching newbies crap themselves when it goes off next to them.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Finally got the line ran out to the garage. I need some fittings but I think I am gonna order some good Milton fittings from northern tool. Those seem to be worth the money. As of right now I have everything ran off of one regulator and it will likely be set at 90 PSI. I can add a regulator later on if I want to.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CRMB
Get an auto tank purge valve. (Purges the water that collects in the tank as the machine runs). We have ours set to blast every 15 minutes. One of my few enjoyments left in this business is watching newbies crap themselves when it goes off next to them.
lmao a bro that ish aint funny when ur working in a 1200 amp swicth gear alone and it goes pishhh i nearly crap myself
Old 09-01-2010, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i wish my bitch blew that much air!
Old 10-11-2010, 02:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just wanted to update that I love this compressor. I still have not put a blank cover on the 4x4 junction box.