Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

air conditioner pressure too high

Old 05-13-2008, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air conditioner pressure too high

Please help!
Bought '98 Civix EX from coworker - the air conditioner runs a few seconds or minutes and then compressor turns off- sometimes boggs down engine.
I tried adding freon made it worse. Took it to local shade-tree shop they put real guages on it and it appears the pressure is running up to 400 psi and then limit switch causes compressor to kick out. Then recycles.
They said I need a new compressor Plus, Plus.
Wait - it is compressing too well. Seems like a restriction to me.

Any ideas?????
I ws told it had a new a/c compressor but turns out it had a new condensor fan.
Bought it on a cool day - worked ok-heat makes it worse
Thanks,
Richard
Old 05-13-2008, 10:53 AM

Default Re: air conditioner pressure too high (ratwellnc)

It could be a few things, You might have the system seriously overcharged, or you might have noncondensables (i.e. moisture) in the system. If the shop says you need a new compressor, they might figure that the discharge port or line is clogged, but you'll have to use your own judgement with them. I hate to tell you, but if your not certified, your probably not qualified to do any work on the system, and your gonna end up paying to get it fixed. I'd just try to find some reputable shops in your area and shop around for prices.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If the pressure on the high side is 400 psi. you could have a bad compressor or a blockage in the expansion valve. what are the low side numbers. It sounds like you have over charged the system. I would take it to a shop that does ac work have them suck all of the freon out change the expansion valve and flush the condensor and the evaporator. Replace them if they are real bad.

Modified by MONSTERZC at 12:29 AM 5/14/2008
Old 05-13-2008, 12:48 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't plan on doing the work I just hate to replace the whole system to start.
There is one local shop that says they will just evac and recharge for $59, another that says they hae new equip and evac recharge is $112. Plus a third that wants to do diagnostics, put in dye, and evac and recharge for $199.
The fact that a new condensor fan was put on by a travelling mechanic for the previous owner gives me a hint that maybe it was also overcharged.
If the compressor is bad how is it cranking up 400 lbs unless there is a restriction somewhere. The one probably not certified mechanic that put gauges on it said that the low side was ok.
Thanks
Old 05-13-2008, 01:03 PM

Default Re: (ratwellnc)

Never add freon to your system unless u are 100% sure it is low. Civics only need about 1.3 to 1.5 pounds of freon. and presure should be around 150 - 200 psi on the high side and 30-45 psi on the low side with outside air around 80-95 degrees. With 400 psi in your system ull be lucky if u didnt blow any seals and ruin the compressor.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:19 PM

Default Re: (MoreBoost!)

I would suggest recharge your system. There is no flashing on evaporator and condenser but only to replace them. It is suggested that receiver and dryer should be changed every two years. I had the same problem before and it was too much freon though I fix it myself.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (motorD16Y7)

when the car bogs down are you hearing a high pitched sound coming from the compressor. If i was you i would do a complete ac system and not have to worry about it.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:12 PM
HT White Ops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would bleed off the Freon until the pressure comes down!
Old 05-13-2008, 02:20 PM
HT White Ops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: air conditioner pressure too high (eg6imola)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg6imola &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You might have the system seriously overcharged...</TD></TR></TABLE>

That would be my guess - either that, or there's too much oil in the system!

You gotta be careful doing your own charges! Some Freon cans have oil in them...

Personally, I never ADD oil to my A/Cs, except when I'm rebuilding them!

Before I install a new compressor, I drain the oil and measure how much came out.

Then, I replace the old oil with the exact same amount with new oil. Compressor oil turns sh!tty just sitting there - like brake fluid

After that, the compressor is on its own... survival of the fittest!
Old 05-14-2008, 05:01 AM

Thanks for all the input. I am taking it to a shop this morning for vacuum and recharge- then will work from there.
I will post results
May be a long, hot summer.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:22 PM

Thanks to all,
I got the Civic back from shop. They evacuated the a/c system said it was almost 1 pound overfilled. They recharged it with the proper amount and said it was cooling ok.
I will try it and see how it does when it really gets hot here. It is only 75 today.

Thanks again