Notices

HPC coated slip joints

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HPC coated slip joints

What do you guys usually do for coated slip joints? I had a header that utilizes slip joints coated by HPC, and now the slip joints will not go back together.

One option is to expand the female slip joint a little so the piece will slide together, which could lead to disaster if the female ends are expanded too much. HPC said their coating will stretch, so it shouldn't crack if I expand the slip joint some.

The other option is to clean off the coating on the slip joints. I have a die grinder and some cartridge rolls, so cleaning the female joints is easy. I'm just not sure how I should go about cleaning the male slip joints in between the tubing.

I considered buying a Lisle 34400 exhaust pipe expander (http://www.thetoolwarehouse.ne....html) with additional dies for different sized tubing. It says it'll work with stainless steel, but I'm a bit paranoid that I'll over expand the female joints (if it will expand the joints at all), so I'm just looking for some suggestions.

Thanks!

Old 01-15-2005, 09:57 AM
OG Fabricator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: HPC coated slip joints (117)

If I'm understanding you correctly, the female end of the joint was coated on the inside and now the pipe won't slip into it?

If that's the case, I'd just clean the coating off the inside of that female end. If you expand it and it cracks the coating, I wonder if the coating company will back their claim and recoat the item. Even if they will, it puts the delay and more hassle on you.

Should you decide to use an expander, just go to harbor freight. You can get one there for less than half the price of the one you posted.
Old 01-15-2005, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HPC coated slip joints (Engloid)

Do the HF ones work on 16 or 18 gauge?
Old 01-15-2005, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, you understand correctly. They coated all three pieces entirely, so the male slip joint is coated, as is the interior of the female slip joint (HPC coats the inside and outside, IIRC).

I'll probably just sand the coating off the female joints, that should be easy enough with some cartridge rolls. Any idea how to get it off of the male joints where the tubing is very close together? Wire wheel maybe?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Engloid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If I'm understanding you correctly, the female end of the joint was coated on the inside and now the pipe won't slip into it?

If that's the case, I'd just clean the coating off the inside of that female end. If you expand it and it cracks the coating, I wonder if the coating company will back their claim and recoat the item. Even if they will, it puts the delay and more hassle on you.

Should you decide to use an expander, just go to harbor freight. You can get one there for less than half the price of the one you posted.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Modified by 117 at 2:24 PM 1/15/2005
Old 01-15-2005, 11:46 AM
OG Fabricator

Default Re: HPC coated slip joints (117)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by essex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do the HF ones work on 16 or 18 gauge?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Should work for either.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 117 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Any idea how to get it off of the male joints where the tubing is very close together? Wire wheel maybe?</TD></TR></TABLE>
No, get emory cloth...the sandpaper that's on a roll that machinists use a lot. It's about 2" wide. Just lay it in there and work the two ends like one of those shoe-shine buffing strips.
Old 01-15-2005, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the help. I was planning on doing the work this weekend, but I'll wait until I can get some emory cloth.