Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

Tranny stuck in gear

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny stuck in gear

alright my tranns is completely ****ed, but now its stuck in gear and i need to move it from the yard.

DETAILED STORY:

its a 5spd tranny, hasnt been insured in a little over a year. since then it was permitted for maybe 5 days. when it was insured it had a problem with the 5th gear popping out, then after sitting for a while i put a permit on it to take it out on a road trip to a company picnic, my buddy was driving on the way back as i was passed the @#%^ out and when i woke up he said 5th gear wasnt staying at all, and then we parked it for a bit and when we were leaving it wasnt going into reverse (physically) so we pushed it out of the parking spot and drove it on the highway in 4th.
at the same time the ISB took a ****, (grinding when clutch is not depressed)

since then it has been sitting in my yard with a dead battery, last week i got a battery out of one of my brothers projects and started it up a few times to burn the gas out,
so i had it started and was pushing the clutch in when i revved it up high so i wouldnt have to hear that grinding
i let the clutch out and let it idle, then it died out. so i started it up, let the clutch out and it died,
basically its stuck in gear, if i had to take a guess id say its stuck in 4th as it went into 123 no problem, 5th and R it went into with a little struggle but only went into 4th after trying to get it in for about 5 minutes.

i revved it up to 6grand and let the clutch out it moved about a foot and stalled out.
anyways, the landlord wants to pave the back yard where my car is parked and wants it moved so im just wondering if theres a way to get it back into neutral or if its not possible without ripping the tranny apart

Short version:

Car is stuck in what appears to be 4th gear and i just need it back in neutral to move it

PS.
i have another freshly rebuilt trans sitting in the trunk but the landlord (who is technically my very much older cousin) thinks his house is so effin nice and gives me **** for even doing interior work in the yard so i cant swap the tranny til i finish up with me project civic and bring it home and take this to where i can work on it
Old 04-29-2009, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tranny stuck in gear

Take out axles.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: gravity rides everything...everything will fall, se GA/ne FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ do that...that transmission sounds like it has several issues. definitely needs 3/4 and 5/r sleeve/synchro sets to say the least.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:05 PM

I have the same problem!
Old 05-01-2009, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: gravity rides everything...everything will fall, se GA/ne FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you have a stuck gear in your...umm...'00 gsr transmission? try and drain it and remove the 3/4 shift detent under the transmission. might have jammed and locked it up in 4th position. if it's still won't shift out of 4th, then you probably have some bad burrs in your synchro sleeve making it bind up.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like you ran the tranny without oil and that's why it initially was popping outta 5th but now is seized.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:55 PM

Same thing happend to my old sohc me and a friend were at a red light and the bitch got stuck in 4th and I couldnt get it rolling haha so I got pissed and rocked the **** outta it and guess what it poped out of gear and I could drive it again. So my answer to your problem is rock the **** outta it untill it pops out
Old 05-06-2009, 10:08 AM

yank the axles
Old 05-06-2009, 04:19 PM

need 3\4 syncro and possible gears. i had the same problem