Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

Integra on jack stands, no load, making horrible noise and shaking the motor/tranny.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 12:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Integra on jack stands, no load, making horrible noise and shaking the motor/tranny.

Ill try to describe this the best way i can...

I blew up a diff in my stock LS tranny. Car is making 700+hp. Has been a 10.70@142 on a bone stock LS trans. Well, put a new diff in the stock trans and checked everything out and it seemed good. Had a Honda Tech that is the tranny guy for Appleway Honda here in Spokane come by and check it out and said everything looked good. Put the tranny in and with the car on jack stands in gear, it made a horrible chunking sound coming from the diff area. Never went and drove it. So picked up another bone stock LS tranny that came out of a good running car. Put it in and getting the same thing. Start off in 1st gear and its fine, 2nd is fine, 3rd starts to make some noise and shake the motor, 4th is worse, and 5th is really bad. This is at idle with no load. Was the same on both trannys. Went out and drove it and it drives absolutely fine. No noise, no nothing. So its just when its in the air with no load on it. I tried changing both axles and mid shaft. Im completely lost and never seen this issue. Its on a Comp twin disc and checked everything out every time i pulled it out. Everything on that looks good. It seems the faster the diff is spinning the more noise it makes but its just at idle. If you rev it up and put it under a load everything seems fine. Any ideas?
Old 06-05-2013, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Integra on jack stands, no load, making horrible noise and shaking the motor/tran

Anyone? lol
Old 06-05-2013, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Integra on jack stands, no load, making horrible noise and shaking the motor/tran

possable axle bind while on jack stand and wheels hanging out?? thats the only thing differant.....
Old 06-05-2013, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

They spin very free when on the jack stands. The car has buddy club racing spec coil overs on it so it doesnt allow the suspension to droop down when in the air. When the car is off and in gear or out of gear, everything spins very free with no binding or weird noises. Its a very odd situation.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

We always had that problem with our racecars when we where warming the engine and transmission on jack stands and learnt to apply a small amount of brake pressure and it does not make any noises then.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
We always had that problem with our racecars when we where warming the engine and transmission on jack stands and learnt to apply a small amount of brake pressure and it does not make any noises then.
I tried that...it helped a tiny tiny bit. But the noise still existed. Are you talking about while holding it at a higher rpm than idle?

Took it on a little drive for about 60 miles. Not one single noise or issue. Shifts like butter lol. Did notice that after the drive it does seem to be better than it was before. But heres a vid of the noise...remember, its done this on 2 different trannys.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah similar sound to our Xtrac and Hewlands we ran,when it first did it it scared the **** out of me.I really never found out where the noise was coming from but we always warmed the gearbox's up and the noise had no effect of gearbox or driveshaft life.Our current STD gearbox in the Honda trackcar does it sometimes if we start the car on the hoist and only done it since the Mugen LSD was fitted.