Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

B-series Mainshaft blues..F**K!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 07:36 PM
On Fire!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default B-series Mainshaft blues..F**K!!

Alright, I'm gona try to keep this short and to the point. Yet somehow its gona be a long story..

Customer bought trans on ebay, trans comes in I open the trans and find a bad main bearing. I replace the bearing and order a GSR MFactory 4.9 final drive for it.
Final drive gets in, I install the final drive, check for play blah blah put it together trans runs great...

8 Months later customer is back says he wheel hopped a few times and the trans locks up while rolling in first gear.. Pull the trans, pop it appart, find a decently chewed up 2nd gear on the counter shaft and 6 teeth completely missing off the main shaft.

Now the customer wants to keep things on the cheap, so I'm left with replacing the parts with used gears, synchros, shaft and rings. So I look around the shop and find a 2nd gear and mainshaft (GSR) out of 1 transmission so at least those 2 won't be miss matched.
Anyhow, I get everything cleaned up, assemble all of the gears install the diff, and both shafts with gears are in the case..I go to throw on the outer case on and it won't slide all the way on (1" gap), so I give it a few jolts shake things around, case just won't go on..
At this point I'm like ok maybe something didn't seat right, pull it all apart again, take the gears, synchros etc.. off and assemble it all back up.. Case still won't go on.
Now I install one shaft at a time to check if the case will fit on and it does..
Finally I decide to pull the mainshaft apart again and install all of the gears back on to the broken shaft to see if that fits, I again get it all put back together and stick the cover over. FITS! At this point I'm frustrated as heck and decide to compare the two main shafts.

Start counting gears and find that the original shaft that broke has 19 teeth on 1st gear while the new (used) shaft has 20 teeth.. Now I know that the trans I pulled the mainshaft with 20 1st gear teeth out is sure as **** out of a GSR trans..

So than I go out to http://www.ff-squad.com/tech/temp/Bgears.htm and get the low down on all of the tooth counts.. and start counting away like some aunt on weightwatchers..

Here is what I got:

1st gear
Mainshaft: 13
Counter: 42
2nd gear
Mainshaft: 19
Counter: 38
3rd gear
Mainshaft: 25
Counter: 34
4th gear
Mainshaft: 29
Counter: 30
5th gear
Mainshaft: 33
Counter: 26

So obviously the gsr mainshaft is not what I need in this case...
What da hell do I need??!!
Old 06-17-2009, 04:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B-series Mainshaft blues..F**K!!

You are sure your 2nd gears are matched? Everything but your 2nd gear ratio are GSR. According to what you posted, you have exactly a 2.00 2nd gear ratio. There is no large spline trans that has a 2.00 2nd gear.

Double count the 2nd gear teeth. If your count is right, you have one of the gears wrong. This can also be verified by looking to see if the main and countershafts are parallel when you put them in the case. I'm guessing you'll get to 2nd gear and notice everything above that is not meshed nice and tight due to 2nd gear pushing the shafts apart.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:24 PM
On Fire!

Alright, I'm a fuking mooron.. I grabbed the wrong 2nd gear.
Threw it all together tonight and the cover practicly fell on like butter..
Shaft turns smooth and there is no play, good to go!

You had me at 2.00...lol
Old 06-17-2009, 11:38 PM
D Tranny Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've made the same mistake, why I expanded my work area. I can now do 5-6 transmissions at a time if I wanted too.