Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

1998 Prelude 5spd Swap Clutch Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Prelude 5spd Swap Clutch Issues

Hey all,

I just finished up my 5spd swap a few weeks ago and everything seems to be working well except for a few issues with the clutch.

When I first started driving it, there was almost no play at the top of the clutch pedal, it felt like the clutch was engaging as soon as I pushed the pedal in. Also, if I had the pedal to the floor, I could not get any gears, they all felt locked out and there was a slight grinding noise. I thought that maybe the pedal was not adjusted right and it was allowing the clutch pedal to go in to far. I tried to fix that by adjusting the clutch interlock, but it wasn't enough, even with the interlock all the way in. It seems like maybe the TOB is binding or the fingers from the pressure plate are contacting the clutch disc.

I also noticed that the clutch was slipping slightly. If I downshifted from 4th to 3rd at around 35mph and went to half throttle, the RPMs would jump up but them quickly drop to where they should be. It seems pretty erratic, though. I can be going up a hill in 5th (Accord 5th) at around 40mph and floor it and the clutch won't slip. Also didn't seem to happen in 1st or 2nd at all.

After that I thought that perhaps there was air in the line (although it doesn't really make sense.) So I bled the clutch line and the pedal feels softer, not mushy really, but easier to operate. There is play at the top of the pedal and I can push the pedal to the floor and still get all the gears and there is no grinding sound. After driving the car for about 15 minutes and once the car is warm, though, the clutch goes back to the way it was before.

The pedal is spaced out about 1/4" from the firewall per the 5spd swap write-ups. I was thinking maybe this wasn't enough space. Or perhaps there is still air in the lines (though again, it doesn't really fit).

Stock 5th gen clutch pedal, master cylinder, and slave cylinder (both rebuilt). SS Braided line straight from master to slave, no damper. Exedy Stage 1 clutch and ACT 12lb flywheel (I am 99% sure these were installed correctly.) Brand new OEM TOB.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Last edited by catacon; 09-20-2011 at 10:42 AM.