Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

When Worlds Collide??

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 06:58 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When Worlds Collide??

Ok...so, don't roast me here guys lol. I've got a question for you all, and was hoping to get some information before making a hundred calls to a hundred companies tomorrow.

First I've got to tell you...I don't own a Honda. I own a Mustang. It does utilize Honda connecting rods though, and this is where I'm having issues. My crank is 33lbs, and has a 1.77" Honda rod journal. It was designed to run stock type/sized 5.394" Honda rods side by side of course, but the rod placement is supposed to be guided by the piston due to excessive side clearance, which is .047" with my Honda based Scat H-Beams.

So, my options appear to shake out like this:

Drop $1500 on eight totally custom pistons with pin guided bosses to locate the rods, which will be stupid expensive to replace if something nasty happens, and use the H-Beam rods I have.

Drop a stupid amount of money on billet steel rods with a 1.77" journal, and .927" piston pins (probably more than the pistons), and use the pistons I have.

Drop an unknown, but surely smaller amount of money on two sets of stock type 1.77" journal, 5.394" length, .927" pin aluminum Honda rods, either in the stock width, or slightly wider if they'll do them for me that way with a reasonable cost.

So...where do you all get your 5.394", 1.77" journal aluminum rods from?? Is there such a thing off the shelf? Google doesn't seem to be my friend in this instance...so I thought I'd come to the source =D.

Thanks in advance!

Cris
Old 03-09-2011, 11:48 AM
I'm not Rick!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: When Worlds Collide??

aluminum rods wouldnt be off the shelf, there are some that are common sizes but no crazy sizes. companies can make what you needed though.

i would vote for the pistons. because there is leeway there.