Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

What modifications can you do to your car to improve performance, and not hurt fuel economy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What modifications can you do to your car to improve performance, and not hurt fuel economy?

As the title says. I want to start a little project seeing how good fuel economy I can get out of my 1990 Honda Civic DX Hatchback. It has the D15B2 with an Automatic Transmission. It may be a slow thread, I just want to be prepared if it keeps going up. And I'd like a 50+ MPG Sticker

Last time I checked I was getting around 45 MPG. I will get a current statistic up next time I fill up. I have many other priorities to take care of right now but I will try to start testing and trying different things as soon as I can.

Things that actually do improve your fuel economy.
1) Correct Tire Pressure - 32-38 psi, I run 35
2) Use as less throttle as you can
3) Stay as low RPM as you can, less then 3,000
3) Don't use cruise control
4) High performance air filter
5) A basic tune-up
6) Shutting down at red lights and traffic jams

Things I am not 100% positive if they improve fuel economy, and will test when I can
1) NGK Spark Plugs
2) NGK High Performance Spark Plug Wires
3) AMSOIL Motor Oil
4) AMSOIL Engine Flush
5) AMSOIL ATF
6) Short Ram Intake

Modified by draperj09 at 4:36 PM 5/14/2008

Modified by draperj09 at 9:43 PM 5/17/2008
Old 05-14-2008, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What modifications can you do to your car to improve performance, and not hurt fuel economy? (dr

I will try to get my current MPG up ASAP.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:14 PM
Daisy... Daisy...

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: What modifications can you do to your car to improve performance, and not hurt fuel economy? (dr

Synthetic engine oil can help if the car is driven for short trips.
Set the ignition timing more advanced, but within spec.
Properly adjust valves.
Eliminate extra weight from car.

See this site:
http://www.hypermiling.com

Keep in mind that some of those techniques are dangerous.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:15 PM

I'm still getting an average of 32 mpg with combined city/highway driving in my tuned 205whp civic.

You can tune any car to get good/decent mileage.
Airing up your tires can give you less rolling resistance.
Keep your oil on the "low limit" line. This keeps less oil sloshing around on the crank which can help.
Advancing distributor timing.
Leaning out the fuel for daily driving.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A quart low?
Old 05-14-2008, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also feel free to post your MPG to my similar setup, SOHC EF. Please don't post if it is less then someone else.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:02 AM
Daisy... Daisy...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DOHCter &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Keep your oil on the "low limit" line. This keeps less oil sloshing around on the crank which can help.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The carnk shaft is not dragging in a pool of oil. Don't underfill your car with oil.

Some suggestions can produce better fuel economy, but come at a price. For instance, shutting off the engine while coasting and restarting when needing power will save fuel. However, it leads to extra wear on the engine components due to increased start-ups. Overinflating the tires can save fuel but can cause irregular wear. My point is that you need to weigh the total economics, not just a single facet.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:01 AM

nice tips
Old 05-16-2008, 11:51 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by draperj09 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As the title says. I want to start a little project seeing how good fuel economy I can get out of my 1990 Honda Civic DX Hatchback. It has the D15B2 with an Automatic Transmission. It may be a slow thread, I just want to be prepared if it keeps going up. And I'd like a 50+ MPG Sticker

Things that actually do improve your fuel economy.
1) Correct Tire Pressure - At least 32 psi, no more then 38 psi
2) Driving Style - Shift Under 3k If you drive a stick shift - Less Throttle
3) Don't use cruise control!
4) High performance air filter
5) A basic tune-up

Things I am not 100% positive if they improve fuel economy
1) NGK Spark Plugs
2) NGK High Performance Spark Plug Wires
3) AMSOIL Motor Oil
4) AMSOIL Engine Flush
5) AMSOIL ATF

Modified by draperj09 at 4:36 PM 5/14/2008</TD></TR></TABLE>

Tire pressure - I wouldnt set 1 specific number for everything, just look in the door jab or wherever the sticker is and set the pressure to what the manufacturer suggests.

How does Cruise control not help fuel economy?

Plus you gotta think about how much your spending in parts and such to even START getting better fuel economy to balance both sides out to see if your even saving money after all.

I'm actually starting to shut my engine down when sitting at long stop lights. If you know your not going anywhere for a while and have faith that it will start back up... why waist gas by just sitting there?

Modified by Bjorn20 at 2:57 PM 5/16/2008
Old 05-16-2008, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whoa boy, where to start...

Mechanical:

1. Increased tire pressure. Cons: Slightly increased stopping distance. Rock hard tires for economy won't wear much faster, if at all.
2. Check brakes for dragging
3. Check wheel bearings, replace if necessary
4. Higher aspect ratio tires for taller gearing. Will throw off speedometer, so odo readings no longer "correct".

Driving:

1. Since you have an AT, shutting down and coasting is not a good option. Coasting in neutral is fine, try to rev match on re-engagement. Use N at red lights, lower engine load = less fuel used.
2. Gentle on the accelerator of course.
3. No cruise control, except on flat roads. CC is too aggressive and slow to respond on hills.
4. SLOW DOWN. Limit top speed to 55-60 mph for best economy. Unless you want to...

Aerodynamics: Best way to pick up highway mpg (other than slowing down, lol).

1. Rear wheel covers
2. Front grill blocks / modifications
3. Underbody panels
4. Extreme... boat tails!

http://www.cleanmpg.com

Modified by shifty35 at 1:45 PM 5/16/2008
Old 05-16-2008, 01:30 PM
Daisy... Daisy...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bjorn20 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How does Cruise control not help fuel economy?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Cruise control tends to be overly aggressive when trying to maintain speed. Engine braking on the highway is nearly as bad as applying the brakes. Without cruise control, you can predict upcoming changes, such as traffic, hills, etc. You want to slowly change throttle position, whereas cruise control wants to reactively control the throttle to maintain speed.

Now if they release a GPS based cruise control to predicts terrain, that has potential to be superior to my right foot.