Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Underdrive pulleys and harmonic balancer question?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2002, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Underdrive pulleys and harmonic balancer question?

I've been hearing splendid things about the whole underdrive pulleys and freeing up horsepower but lately I see people type threads and articles about how they are determental to the car in the long run (crank can warp, break seals etc.) All because either they don't bring a "harmonic balancer" or you have to remove it from the stock crank pulley. Do you have to remove it to install the underdrive pulley? Can someone give me some clarification on this. I don't want to invest in a set later and have my engine fall apart.
Old 10-03-2002, 08:11 AM

Default Re: Underdrive pulleys and harmonic balancer question? (Veil_Side_)

I had a UR underdrive crank pulley at one point, but sold it after like a month.
The power diff is not that significant. I believe it was like 2whp but THOUGHOUT the entire power band. I didn't wanan take a chance with the balancer prob.

This is what I heard. Older Honda cars such as those in late 80's and early 90's don't have that dampener (which is true - i didn't see anything on my OE pulley); also the way the engine is built apparently ppl say does not required one. A lot of domestics need a dampener due to their engine structure. More modern cars have a dampener but the use for it is primarily to provide comfort (less vibration, less sound, etc).

Reading on the net, there are both ups and downs, and I mean if it really was that bad U.R. wouldn't be selling them (for 5 yrs too). It's a risk i guess - may go either way. I didn't wana take the risk coz i dind't think it was worth it. IMO, buy an AEM pulley set sans crankpulley.
Old 10-04-2002, 09:09 AM
evo
New User

Default Re: Underdrive pulleys and harmonic balancer question? (EF8_SiR)

Is there a damper in B16 1st gen?? How about CTR N1 pulley that made by Honda, I think they're well-blanced as I'm thinking getting one through.