Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Starter problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter problems

Car:
1988 Honda CR-X DX 5-speed

Engine:
LS/VTEC

The problem:
The starter wont turn the engine or even click over.

Symptoms:
I have used this starter for years with no problems but the last 10 or so starts have been weaker than normal like when the battery is weak or dying. Now when trying to start there is nothing, not even a click from the starter. Power wise everything seems to be working correctly, like dash lights, headlights, radio ect.

Things I have checked/tested so far:
- Checked all fuses in the engine bay and under dash and all were good.
- Cleaned battery terminals and connections.
- Checked all grounds for breakage,looseness and corrosion.
- Tried a jump start and no change.
- Tried a different battery and no change.
- The engine rotates fine, definitely not seized.
- Flywheel looks normal, flywheel teeth look normal.
- ECU is getting power.
- 1988 CR-X's didn't come equipped with a neutral safety switch so that can be ruled out.
- Did a push start and it fired right up no problem.
- Checked continuity in the wires from the Ignition Switch. All checked out normal according to the Helms manual.
- Charged the battery and checked the battery voltage. Voltage is at 12.86v
- Voltage from the battery to main power on starter. Voltage is at 12.75v
- Voltage from Starter Signal wire when turning the key. Voltage is at 10v
- Voltage drop ground test. 0.03v
- Voltage drop power test. 0.08v
- Bench tested the starter out of the car and it seemed to function correctly.
- Bypassed the Ignition Switch with the starter installed and it will only click once.

I have came to the conclusion that the starter is probably more than likely the culprit but before I go ahead and spend the $100+ I was wondering if any of you might have delt with this same scenario or might have any more insight into what might be causing this problem. Thanks in advance!
Old 06-13-2016, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Starter problems

Originally Posted by speedfanatic88
- Charged the battery and checked the battery voltage. Voltage is at 12.86v
- Voltage from the battery to main power on starter. Voltage is at 12.75v
- Voltage from Starter Signal wire when turning the key. Voltage is at 10v
- Bench tested the starter out of the car and it seemed to function correctly.
- Bypassed the Ignition Switch with the starter installed and it will only click once.
You mentioned 'Voltage from Starter Signal wire when turning the key. Voltage is at 10v', but it should be up around 12V right? You also mentioned ' Bypassed the Ignition Switch with the starter installed and it will only click once.', so I assume that you gave the starter lead on the starter 12V like is mentioned in this thread https://honda-tech.com/tech-misc-15/...mp%5D-2961164/ in the sticky section.

I've had to do a little work on my starter where I took it out and put in a new plunger, but the kit I bought had high current contacts which were not quite the right shape, so I used my old ones and just filed them down slightly to get a nice flat and smooth surface. The info on doing this is in thread Fix your starter for $5-$10 no special tools - Honda-Tech.

Anyway, your mentioning getting only 10V at the starter sounds like an issue to me, and you might also have an issue with the high current contacts, but if you remove the starter and test it, you probably will be able to get it fixed up if the only issue with the starter itself is the high current contacts. On my starter, I also had an issue where it tested OK off of the car, but once I got it on the car, it wouldn't always engage the ring gear, so I removed the starter and then put a little oil on the shaft where the gear slides, and that fixed that issue. When I tested the starter off the car, I used a light switch for the wire going to the starter solenoid so I wouldn't have big spark when I tested it. Good luck!! - Jim
Old 06-13-2016, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Calif_Kid
You mentioned 'Voltage from Starter Signal wire when turning the key. Voltage is at 10v', but it should be up around 12V right? You also mentioned ' Bypassed the Ignition Switch with the starter installed and it will only click once.', so I assume that you gave the starter lead on the starter 12V like is mentioned in this thread https://honda-tech.com/tech-misc-15/...mp%5D-2961164/ in the sticky section.
Yes, I believe the Starter Signal wire should be pushing 12v when the key is turned to start. My 10v reading was the only issue I have found when testing. Yes, I did exactly what was described in that the thread and the starter would only click once but that was about it. I did the test light test and the light came on as soon as I turned the key to start.

I've had to do a little work on my starter where I took it out and put in a new plunger, but the kit I bought had high current contacts which were not quite the right shape, so I used my old ones and just filed them down slightly to get a nice flat and smooth surface. The info on doing this is in thread Fix your starter for $5-$10 no special tools - Honda-Tech.
I have been reading up on that. It wouldn't hurt to give it a shot.

Anyway, your mentioning getting only 10V at the starter sounds like an issue to me, and you might also have an issue with the high current contacts, but if you remove the starter and test it, you probably will be able to get it fixed up if the only issue with the starter itself is the high current contacts. On my starter, I also had an issue where it tested OK off of the car, but once I got it on the car, it wouldn't always engage the ring gear, so I removed the starter and then put a little oil on the shaft where the gear slides, and that fixed that issue. When I tested the starter off the car, I used a light switch for the wire going to the starter solenoid so I wouldn't have big spark when I tested it. Good luck!! - Jim
I'll definitely keep that in mind if I run into that ring gear problem. Thanks Jim!
Old 06-13-2016, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So I went ahead and removed the starter. I started to dismantle it and then realized that there is no way for me to get to the high currant contacts. It seems that the people rebuilding their Honda starters are more than likely using a Denso starter or similar design that gives you access to the plunger and high currant contacts. I have a Mitsuba SM-402-01 JDM B16A starter and that portion of the starter is sealed and does not seem to be serviceable. When putting it back together I used the some of the gobs of grease that was in it and lubed as much of the moving parts as possible. I installed it back in and figured I might as well try to give it a start. The starter very weakly cranked the engine but it fired up! I shut it off and tried again but it wouldn't turn over or click. Seems like a new starter is in order. I'll update when I install the new starter and if it solves my problem.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like the starter can't handle the load of turning the motor over. I just had the same problem on a jeep. Changed the starter and it works perfect now.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:40 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yep you need a new/rebuilt starter. 94
Old 06-14-2016, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump
Old 06-16-2016, 02:39 PM
Trial User

Purchase a new starter, dont bother going to the junkyard. Take the core to your nearest auto parts store and they should knock off a couple bucks off the regular price.
Old 06-16-2016, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 90rafael
Purchase a new starter, dont bother going to the junkyard. Take the core to your nearest auto parts store and they should knock off a couple bucks off the regular price.
LOL I hate auto parts starters give me a used OEM anyday and parts stores are way overpriced anyway
Old 09-23-2016, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have been super busy the last few months but I finally got back around to trying to fix this. Don't you hate it when you're searching for answers to a problem on the internet and the OP never replies to if and how they fixed the problem? I'm not going to be that guy. So I ended up buying a "newly" re-manufactured Denso starter, installed it and the motor started right up no problems whatsoever. The old starter was slowly dying that's why it began to gradually get weaker every crank until it wouldn't crank no more. A bench test showed it still worked but since there was no resistance it was hard to tell if it was really the problem. Thank you all very much for the help and suggestions, I really appreciate it!