Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't start

I have a 1999 Si that is pretty much stock. The other day it wouldn't start, car wouldn't even crank at all. Though after having someone push me I got it started. I just turn the key and it makes one click and that is all. The battery starts up fine, lights are good and radio turns right on. The battery is only a few months old and seems fine. I tried pulling the starter, got it tested and its fine. I took a multimeter to the car and tested all the wiring that goes from the battery to the starter. Everything came out continuous. I checked the fuses that could possibly be messing with the starter and everything looks fine. I don't know what to check from here on out, other than bring it to a shop.

Any ideas?
Old 06-23-2011, 09:10 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Car won't start

well does it click like it's a starter/battery issue? like a loud click signifying that the starter is engaging the flywheel but not cranking?

Or is more of a quiet click that just signifies that the main relay is clicking to start?

The loud click probably means either the battery or starter are dead. Sometimes starters test fine...but really aren't fine.

The quiet click means that maybe:
-your clutch safety switch isn't being pushed. Check that the clutch is operating the safety switch. This could be as easy as the floormat being moved into the path of the clutch pedal. That happened to my GF's EM1. We had all season mats in it for the winter. The mat wasn't allowing her to push the pedal down all the way when starting the car.

-Could mean that your trans to chassis ground strap is loose or broken or corroded. Check it.

-There could be an electrical issue with the starting circuit.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B serious
well does it click like it's a starter/battery issue? like a loud click signifying that the starter is engaging the flywheel but not cranking?

Or is more of a quiet click that just signifies that the main relay is clicking to start?

The loud click probably means either the battery or starter are dead. Sometimes starters test fine...but really aren't fine.

The quiet click means that maybe:
-your clutch safety switch isn't being pushed. Check that the clutch is operating the safety switch. This could be as easy as the floormat being moved into the path of the clutch pedal. That happened to my GF's EM1. We had all season mats in it for the winter. The mat wasn't allowing her to push the pedal down all the way when starting the car.

-Could mean that your trans to chassis ground strap is loose or broken or corroded. Check it.

-There could be an electrical issue with the starting circuit.
It seems to me it is a quiet click, so it would be a smaller problem I'm hoping. I'm not sure how to check the clutch safety switch but that sounds plausible. Nor do I know how to check the other things you suggested. Do you or anyone else know how?
Old 06-24-2011, 12:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like starter went bad or check the small clip on starter