Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

rebuilding jdm itr block

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 05:55 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default rebuilding jdm itr block

I usually have machine shop assemble my block ( measure everything and install rods pistons and crank mains/rod bearings) and then I put everything else together myself

but its starting to add up

this block was stock with broken piston and magically no wall damage not even a scuff.

I have digital bore micrometer and digital caliper to measure the crank but I don't have caliper big enough to measure pistons.

I wanted to make sure im doing things right before I even start buying missing tools etc

1 should I use dingleberry hone if cylinder walls are good and within specs after measuring

2 only 2 pistons are damaged can I install 2 used pistons instead of damaged ones? all of them have about same wear and compression was 230 cold in the 1and 4 cylinder so it was sealing good still
how bad do they have to be to become unuseable? theres no dings on the other set just few vertical scuffs and skirt coating worn off in typical spot.

3 whats the most proper way to press new pistons on oem rods ( I was thinking of just getting a new set of npr pistons and rings and not mess with used pistons)

4 when measuring clearance is it enough to measure big rod end opening when torqued to spec and measure crank diameter and then calculate clearance or do I have to use plastigauge every time
I have digital micrometers seem to be pretty accurate.

5 what clearance is recommended for a bit more abusive relationship for this motor? and synthetic oil.
synthetic oil needs less clearance to keep oil pressure but high rpm needs looser clearances. so should I keep them on the looser end or tighter end of the specs?
Old 03-25-2015, 09:47 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: rebuilding jdm itr block

and also while im looking through replacement piston options im stuck between jdm and usdm pistons.

its gonna be in a usdm car with usdm obd2b ecu I don't know how much difference (if any noticeable) will it make with jdm itr pistons.

this engine is originally 97 jdm itr but I already got usdm oil pump with cfk sensor and all the other stuff needed

just stuck on pistons
I do plan to tune it with boltons but have to use stock ecu for emissions