Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Random voltage loss 93 EG turbo K20

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random voltage loss 93 EG turbo K20

Probably gonna be a long post, so i apologize in advance. I like to relay as much info as i can.

93 civic hatch, K20z1 swap with turbo setup. Kpro tuned.

Been having some drivability issues with my hatch lately. Thought it was tune related because it started only when running high boost (28psi). Car would cut out under power and sputter. I changed the plugs, re gapped them and tried again, no fix. Cleaned the injectors, no fix. Car at the time was running good on low boost (13psi). Car sat for a week or so, battery died on it. Recharged the battery and got it running, tried to take it out on low boost and the sputter is now happening on low boost and getting worse. I have a buddy club SECU turbo timer that reads battery voltage as well as some other stuff. According to the voltage while the car was idleing, the volts were only at 12.3, should be reading charging voltage. When i rev the car up, the volts drop down around 11.8. Driving is even worse, cruising will be around 12.3-12.6 then when i try to do a pull it will drop as low as 10.8 and runs rough. I tested the battery and alternator, both test good. Swapped batteries just for kicks, still same scenario. While the car is running, the voltage at the battery is 13.5 volts, so i know the alternator is charging. I have power probed a few different areas to see how isolated the problem is. Havent checked everything, but so far, im only getting 12.0 volts going to the fuel pump, 12.0 volts at the coils, and 12.0 volts to the cooling fan. The injectors are getting 13.4 volts. When i turn the key on and the fuel pump primes, it sounds very weak because its low on voltage. The odd part to me is if i connect a battery charger to the battery and set it to a high amperage setting, if i turn the key on, the fuel pump primes normally and the cooling fan speeds up to its normal output. Im at a loss right now. Not sure if this is possibly a ground issue or a huge voltage drop somewhere that will cause all these power issues. Problem is, with the K swap ive basically got a frankenstein harness so a haines manual will only help me so much. I also swapped out the main relay, same issues still happening. I know this is cause it to run rough because the fuel pump isnt putting out the normal pressure. off the battery charger, it primes to 40psi. With the battery charger, it gets to 50psi.

Im just looking for any suggestions on what to check! I dont think its a ground issue because i havent changed any of them since it ran ok and this car doesnt see the rain so it doesnt have corrosion issues.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Random voltage loss 93 EG turbo K20

also did a parasitic draw test, which seemed to be normal. .6AMP draw with the turbo timer on. Its hard wired to + so i cant turn it off.