Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Please help me with my timingbelt ish!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2003, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help me with my timingbelt ish!!!

Well i have a 98 gsr motor at my uncles im getting ready to put in. All i have left to do is a new clutch, timing belt and a water pump. Well i went over there today to do the waterpump and timing belt. Well I got the new belt and pump from the local Acura dealership but when i got to my uncles the timing belts looked a tad different. Both read " Honda 14400-p72-014" and "126ru26" but where the old has 3 parallel lines going the width of the belt. The new has 4. Anyway they both have 126 teeth and line up as far as i can tell. Well we got the crank pulley off and started on it. We marked spots on the cam gears for some marks on the new belt to make sure it lined up right. Well Once we got the belt off and changed the waterpump....we tried to put the new one on and I notced the cam gears were not where they were before. So I'm now thinking...great im fucked because my timng is off. Well what i wanna know is.....If the #1 (closest to the crank pulley im guessing) cylinder is at TDC, are the cam gear arrows supposed to point up? I need this info for my timing because i really do not wanna blow this thing up the first time i try to start it. We put the new belt on anyway to see if it would fit. On the side where the belt goes straight from the cam gear to the crank it was a little loose. Everything else was fine it seemed like. The main thing is the cam gears have been knocked outta place while the crank remained in the same position and i wanna know how to get things back where they should so i dont bend my valves to all hell. Please help if you can. Thank you
Andrew
Old 06-01-2003, 03:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Please help me with my timingbelt ish!!! (dreweg)

everyone needs to learn about the hole. when the arrows are up theres a little pin hole in each cam very close to the gears. put a small allen wrench in the hole to keep the cams from moving and when the crank pulley is lined up at TDC, the arrows go up. also about the looseness, adjust the tensioner. and the belts are the same, probly the 4 thing is stronger or newer design or something...
Old 06-01-2003, 05:09 PM

Default Re: Please help me with my timingbelt ish!!! (hybridvteceg)

So when the arrows are up...so are these holes...and that is TDC for the cams correct? Then all i have to do is line up the crank at TDC and then im set? Thanks a lot man. I really needed help on this.

Andrew
Old 06-01-2003, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

make sure u tention the belt properly
check out http://www.c-speedracing.com for a how-to on a timing belt change
Old 06-02-2003, 01:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Download the Honda/Acura Shop manual (Helms Manual). It will help you big time. Some has it for downlaod.