Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Oil Pressure Whoas

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2002, 05:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure Whoas

First off, I drive a 92 ls b18a and have recently been experiencing oil pressure problems during warm driving. I redid the pcv/breather chamber system and my idle is very still. Last week I got a chance to pick up my Autometer pod and installed my oil pressure gauge inside the car. It installed really well, there are no leaks and its very accurate. I found that when I first start the car in the morning with my engine at full cold my oil psi is 65-70 (2k rpm). Finally, she settles to full heat and I can maintain 13-15 psi (500 rpm) for about 30 seconds. Then, it starts dropping. And after about 5 minutes of driving im at 0 psi at idle. So far I have discluded the oil pump from being the culprit, seeing as how my psi slowly rises in acceleration but is very responsive before my car heats up (2k cold - 1k cold). I cleaned off my oil pan so I could see new forming leaks and I have been noticing oil dribbling down the pan after about 2 minutes of running, and its not coming from the side that I want to see it come from. Could it be that my oil pan gasket or main seal gasket are leaking so bad that I'm losing my pressure? I have never heard of this before, but could my gaskets be expanding under heat? Member redlineaz recommended this but I have no idea whether it could be true or not. So, I've been thinking about just changing the oil pan gasket and am wondering if there's A) something I should check while I'm under there or B) more to replace than just this. Any insight you can spread in the situation would be good and thanks for reading this far.

Summary:
cold idle (2k) 65-70 oil psi
first 10 seconds of warm idle (5-600) 13-15 oil psi
30 seconds after warm idle (5-600) 0 oil psi
2-2.5k after running warm 15-20 oil psi

I heard that the b18a is supposed to idle warm at 15 psi, and I know for a fact that almost no motor should idle at 0 psi. So, could this problem really be JUST a gasket? Any help is good help here guys, thanks.
Old 10-28-2002, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Oil Pressure Whoas (KidNRG)

is there oil dripping from the tranny side..could be rear main seal.
have you checked the coolant for indications of oil?
have you checked your oil for indications of water?

Did you dissasemle the oil pump...
maybe the pressure relief spring is not working properly