Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Oil light comes on when hard braking and sharp turns

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Oil light comes on when hard braking and sharp turns

Hey so when I step on the brakes harder than usual, my oil light comes on for a sec then goes off. Same thing happens when I do a really sharp turn. Sometimes when I brake really hard the light comes on and starts flashing and doesn't go until I turn the car off and then turn the car on again.

I think it may have to be that I now park the car on the street which is a hill so the oil reading unit is reading the oil level unevenly? No other noticeable issues when driving the car.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Oil light comes on when hard braking and sharp turns

Check the oil level on level ground add if needed, start there. If that doesnt fix it and it does it only when the engine is warm i would start with the oil pressure switch.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grunny
Check the oil level on level ground add if needed, start there. If that doesnt fix it and it does it only when the engine is warm i would start with the oil pressure switch.

Ok thanks. Also I haven't done oil change for awhile I know its been over 5k miles since last oil change. Do you think that could be a reason?

And also I read somewhere that that light doesn't come on unless the oil level is dangerously low. Is that true?
Old 04-27-2011, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if your turning or under heavy braking and yr oil light comes on this means that the oil is low... i dont know how hard yr turning but this starvation usually happens on road course where you are going be braking hard and driving hard... you need to change yr oil
Old 04-27-2011, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by trevek10
if your turning or under heavy braking and yr oil light comes on this means that the oil is low... i dont know how hard yr turning but this starvation usually happens on road course where you are going be braking hard and driving hard... you need to change yr oil
Ya I need to change my oil. I've just been driving normally like I have in the past. These symptoms just started happening in the last few weeks so I don't think it has to do with my driving. But I do have to make some pretty hard U turns on my daily commute now lol.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

check oil level
Old 04-28-2011, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ya if yr getting this under normal driving conditions ,, im going to bet you need oil and yr prob burning a lil oil to boot
Old 04-28-2011, 09:18 AM
Trial User

How often oil should be changed ?
Just want to know.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B.Macculum
How often oil should be changed ?
Just want to know.
every 3k -5k miles. I havent changed my oil in over 6 months with probably a little over 10k miles lol.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you drive a lot of city, stop and go, short trips, car on then off within the hour, these are severe service intervals. Change it every 2500-3000 miles. I work at a lube shop, I've seen countless problems from people changing it every 5000 miles. And with vtec this can cause a big problem if sludge gets into one of the channels that lubes your cam/cams, you're going to end up replacing a lot of very expensive parts.

Change the oil and use a high mileage oil for a few oil changes (higher detergent percentage), you should see a noticeable difference.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

and pretty much all vtec motors are known for using a little oil, probably from the higher revs..anyway...

my wifes 2000 accord uses exactly .5qt every 3k miles... i've had cars that use 1 qt a month...it just varies car to car..

check oil level first, if you still have issues, swap out the oil pressure sending unit, if it still does it, you may have some more issues to look into

the oil light is pressure based NOT oil level in the pan based...if that light came on, you have VERY low oil pressure...
Old 04-28-2011, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Slacker93eg
If you drive a lot of city, stop and go, short trips, car on then off within the hour, these are severe service intervals. Change it every 2500-3000 miles. I work at a lube shop, I've seen countless problems from people changing it every 5000 miles. And with vtec this can cause a big problem if sludge gets into one of the channels that lubes your cam/cams, you're going to end up replacing a lot of very expensive parts.

Change the oil and use a high mileage oil for a few oil changes (higher detergent percentage), you should see a noticeable difference.
ok good to know thanks. I moved into the city recently so I def do a lot of stop and go.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by darrinbrewer
and pretty much all vtec motors are known for using a little oil, probably from the higher revs..anyway...

my wifes 2000 accord uses exactly .5qt every 3k miles... i've had cars that use 1 qt a month...it just varies car to car..

check oil level first, if you still have issues, swap out the oil pressure sending unit, if it still does it, you may have some more issues to look into

the oil light is pressure based NOT oil level in the pan based...if that light came on, you have VERY low oil pressure...
I dont like hearing that lol.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

True it doesn't come on because its low in the pan however if it is low in the pan and he brakes or turns hard then the oil sloshes away from the pump and then theres no pressure triggering the light.........................
Old 04-28-2011, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Put some damn oil in it, u will kill the engine. That what happened to my eclipse, oil light was blinking when taking off ramps and like week after it just died on a freeway, engine rebuild
Old 10-24-2016, 03:35 AM
Trial User

I have an 08 accord sedan that is doing the same thing... Just changed the oil because I thought that was the problem. Oil is not low. I use honda filters and change the washer every time like suggested I use Castrol GTX oil high milage. The car has 133k miles on it. What should I do next?
Old 10-24-2016, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The 08 Accords have a known issue with piston rings. Be sure to monitor your oil level. If you are consuming oil the rings will likely need replaced. The process is different between the 4 and 6 cyl engines but both have a warranty extension for the problem. We see the complaint of the oil light coming on when turning and braking somewhat regularly.