Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Looking at a sleeper civic, need some information

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at a sleeper civic, need some information

Hey guys, looks like I need to post in the tech sections before anywhere else so I suppose I make my post here. I'm going to be looking at this sleeper civic on Friday, so I'd like to learn a little something about what he has to offer me before I go ahead and buy it if possible. I really don't know much about modded civics like these, but common sense alluded me to setting up a possible deal with the man for his car. So I'll post here some facts about the car, I'd like to hear from anyone out there, maybe you could provide me links or some information to share about the motor or anything to help me along the way. I'm most likely going to be purchasing the ride from him if I like it, so I'll be around on the site, trying to learn what I can... !!

So here's the goods, 1998 Civic EX Sedan
JDM B18C Type R Complete Swap
Jackson Racing Supercharger (4.0" Pulley, Type R Kit)
JDM Type R LSD transmission

Motor was rebuilt this summer: Broke in properly, 2500 miles so far.
Cylinder head totally done: Decked, Valve guides, valve stem seals, valve job
Shortblock: New pistons, rings, bearings, oil pump, headgasket,
-All bearing clearences nominal, ring gaps opened to max spec for boost. Rod bolt stetch gage used per Type R specs
Transmission shifts perfectly at 9000rpm
6 puck clutch
4-1 header
Resonator instead of cat
Quiet cat-back exhaust
Freshly powdercoated valve cover and intake

So that's some information on it. I'd really like to hear from you guys about what I should attempt to notice while driving. I'm going to have it checked out at a reputable shop for sure, just to make sure about everything. Seems like it will be a good ride, just looking to hear what you guys think I should ask the seller possibly, or when after I buy it, I want to know more... say for example info about this type of motor, transmission, supercharger, etc.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Looking at a sleeper civic, need some information

What ECU does it have, where was it tuned, what fuel system is it running, octane of gas it was tuned on, etc.

Also, 9k is revving pretty high. I'd imagine the super charger isn't making power up there
Old 09-20-2015, 01:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Looking at a sleeper civic, need some information

Originally Posted by Freemananana
What ECU does it have, where was it tuned, what fuel system is it running, octane of gas it was tuned on, etc.

Also, 9k is revving pretty high. I'd imagine the super charger isn't making power up there
You need to apply this same information to the threads you originate. You just posted another thread for yourself that provided next to no information. This guy, provided enough to warrant the response below.

The car is a hodge podge of parts. Cars like these attempt to command a very high resale value, or none at all. I would start with the following discrepancies:

Are there verifiable receipts for the modifications on the car that are traceable to the current owner? Call the facilities that there are invoices for and verify.
Does the seller have the title, and does the VIN match the vehicle? CarFax is not a VIN check.
Does the seller's address on the title match his/her drivers license? If not, suspicion is warranted.
What is the date of issue on the title itself? This can be important. If the driver claims to have done all this work in less than a month, that is suspicious to me.
Submit the VIN to your local sheriff or state DMV to determine if the car was stolen, or otherwise illegal. If the owner does not want to provide, or let you inspect, the VIN on the vehicle, walk away. This may seem intrusive, but given the rise in auto thefts (I live in Chicago), this is a very prudent step to take, and sellers need to be aware of this.

Anybody trying to market a car like this must, at a minimum, supply blueprint information, or provide the name of the shop that performed the upgrades to the car. If the seller claimed to do all of this work themselves, where did they perform it? At a shop? Home? The validity of these upgrades and the longevity of them must be scrutinized intensely. I built a 2000 Honda Civic a while back that I upgraded extensively, and the first question I when selling it was: Prove your modifications. Do not assume the upgrades are legitimate until proof can be obtained. If they did not keep records, assume it was not done. I get a lot of vehicle owners that claim the timing belt/water pump was replaced. I ask for a receipt. None, but "Shop A" did the repair. So I use the name on the title (if they have it) and call that shop for a history. If there is none, it wasn't done.

Based on your current level of research, I would be more concerned about the vehicle's legality first, and then worry about the upgrades. If they act shady, fight another day, walk....