Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Leaking valve seals or Piston rings=Veg oil or atf trans fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking valve seals or Piston rings=Veg oil or atf trans fluid?

To make a long story shory, I sefoamed my car, and I think it ate the valve seals or pistons rings, car smokes when I get on it, and looses oil, not too bad, mabey a quart every so often, depends on how I drive....

Anyway, I heard some rumars, didnt know if they were true.
#1 I herd by adding 1 cup of vegitable oil to my oil, itll help it not smoke or smoke LESS
#2 same thing, but with automatic tranny fluid, I was told mabey add a little bit to the oil

So I need some clearing up and some suggestions, what do we think here, and what can I do as a temp fix till I gett he mula up to charge the seals or rings?????
Old 06-06-2007, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Leaking valve seals or Piston rings=Veg oil or atf trans fluid? (Metal Head)

1) Hell no
2) No way

I'm not putting anything else than motoroil in my engine, especially vegetable oil, that belongs in a wok, not in your engine. If your valve seals are gone, then time to replace them, you wont be able to fix wear, with voodoo magic.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Leaking valve seals or Piston rings=Veg oil or atf trans fluid? (Flashmn)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Flashmn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1) Hell no
2) No way

I'm not putting anything else than motoroil in my engine, especially vegetable oil, that belongs in a wok, not in your engine. If your valve seals are gone, then time to replace them, you wont be able to fix wear, with voodoo magic.</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha yeah this is good advice.

valveseals usually smoke right when you start from idle or on decel. if its smoking when you accelerate then it might be a piston ring thing. check yoru pcv system for oil and/or do a leakdown test if your really concerned
Old 06-10-2007, 08:01 PM

Default Re: Leaking valve seals or Piston rings=Veg oil or atf trans fluid? (blackeg)

no, no smoke at idle, on on accelration HARD, on a light acceleration, doesnt smoke....

I mean, what honda doesnt smoke anyway?

Reason why I asked this question, I was driving, I got on it a little hard, then came to a stop light, Next pulled me a guy, and said " hey man, Put a cup of vewg oil in your motor oil" I said WHY? He said " I noticed your smoking on hard acceleration, Im a honda mechanic, I work on them mtors for a living.." I said, No... u serious.
He said" Yea, you dont belive me, its in Advanced auto parts tech services"

Old 06-11-2007, 04:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Leaking valve seals or Piston rings=Veg oil or atf trans fluid? (Metal Head)

have you checked your PCV system?

I wouldnt listen to people who sit next to you in lights. Lol I'm an automotive technician with motorsports licensing and I've NEVER heard of using vegetable oil anywhere else than in cooking. Not to mention that vegtable oil would probably be diluted into the motor oil without any effect. A cup isnt much comparing it to several liters.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:48 PM

Default Re: Leaking valve seals or Piston rings=Veg oil or atf trans fluid? (Flashmn)

ATF was/is used by old-timers, most not driving honda's to free up stuck parts under the valve covers and else where. Old cars were very prone to having something stick up top after sitting for a bit and ATF is one of the best lubes around, how ever these are 30+ year old cars with pushrods. honda's move a ton of oil around up top, a simple leakdown test will tell you exactly where your smoking from. Veg. oil should be saved for people driving converted diesel vw's. Mmm french fries.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Metal Head &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I mean, what honda doesnt smoke anyway?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

uhhh...none of mine did
Old 06-12-2007, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Leaking valve seals or Piston rings=Veg oil or atf trans fluid? (swappedcx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by swappedcx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

uhhh...none of mine did</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha all of mine did, even the bone stock 60k mile ls. doesnt mean they dont withstand the abuse. my valveseals are bad, but my car runs fine, it doesnt affect the leakdown because the valves are seated properly.

again, dont put any other oil in your car than car oil....unless is the bertolli extra virgin olive oil. that **** is great to cook with haha
Old 07-28-2007, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those of you laughing at the veg oil thing, here's a little writeup on it being used. Interesting.

http://www.greatwesternvehicle...g.htm
Old 07-28-2007, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So, what if a leakdown test doesnt come up with any answers?? Just wondering because the teg I have smokes when on hard accel. At first I thought it was the pressure from the turbo system and no cat. Now its NA and have a cat on there for smog reasons and it still smokes, but only on hard accel. What are the fixes or what causes the smoke on hard accel?
Old 07-30-2007, 01:15 PM

subscribing~
having simillar issues.

Does not burn oil when it's in normal highway driving but once in a while during decel. it burns oil and vtec cross over.

Some people say it's valve seal and some says it's oil ring has been shot.

What are the worst case secenario that could happen?
Because I'm planning on rebuilding motor this comming winter until than I will be adding oil.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Leaking valve seals or Piston rings=Veg oil or atf trans fluid? (J.B.)

Leakdown test. period. properly done it will indicate the area of concern in the engine, all but the valve seals but then again the engine would still run fine except on decel when the smoke would comeout. do a compression test and add a capful of oil and see if the number really increase or just a little...