Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Leak and Loose Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 11:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leak and Loose Thread

engine: boosted b16a

First Problem:

there's a leak on one corner where the cylinder head meets the block(pls refer to the pic point by the blue arrow). the corner i'm refering to is the one under the VTEC solenoid. when i first discovered it, there was a puddle of oil and it would leak down the transmission housing so i wiped it clean to see if it would leak again. unfortunately it leaks again, but not as worse as before. now, it has a greenish thing to it but i'm not using any coolant. my friend told me that it couldn't be oil coz there's no oil passageway near that corner. he said probably from distributor or vtec solenoid but i didn't see any leak around the vtec solenoid and distributor or traces of a leak. what could be the problem? will retightening the head bolts solve it or should i just replace head gasket?

Second Problem:

last week, i noticed that whenever i hit vtec i get some hesitation. i removed the vtec solenoid from the head to check if the filter is clogged. the filter wasn't clogged so i figured that maybe i'm just a bit low on oil from the leak. upon putting back the vtec solenoid, i accidentally stripped the third bolt under the solenoid and now oil starts dripping there when the engine is running. i haven't take out the bolt yet so i don't know if i stripped the thread inside the cylinder head or the bolt broke in half. what can i do to fix the problem in case i stripped the thread in the cylinder head? can i just use teflon tape on the bolt and screw it in? is this a major problem and hard to fix?

thanks for any help.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Leak and Loose Thread (_Endless_)

your head is warped...replace head gasket and deck the head too...or mil it what ever you want to call it...and about the v-tec solenoid bolt...helicoil it...if its bad..
Old 02-26-2006, 05:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Leak and Loose Thread (methanemotorworks)

Make sure that side of the head is completely dry of oil, I think I can see a stained trail running down. It always looks like it the head gasket, but its usually the cam seal, distributor o-ring or vtec solenoid gasket. It runs along the side of the head and accumulates right there. I wouldnt jump the gun and say its warped. The only time I have ever seen that is when the motor was overheated.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Leak and Loose Thread (Runnerdown)

how would i know if it's coming from the cam seal, distributor o-ring or the vtec solenoid. i don't see any traces of oil from it.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well then its probably not leaking then. Looking carefulley under all those parts on the side of the head and you should be able to tell. sometimes there is a hard to see film of oil trail that goes down
Old 02-26-2006, 06:31 PM

Default Re: Leak and Loose Thread (Runnerdown)

clean the whole area where there are traces of oil...use brake cleaner...then drive it and see where its coming from...im pretty sure its coming from the head gasket...by the looks of it...theres a turbo on there too...u probably blown the head gasket to the point it leaks oil...but not enough to cause a drivability problem...when it comes down to it and you still dont want to take our advice then stop asking the Qs...or clean and then get some oil dye and toss it in...see where its coming from too!!!!
Old 02-26-2006, 07:17 PM

look around the facinity... could be a headgasket... or vtec solenoid... gasket.... cam seal could be too
Old 02-27-2006, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Leak and Loose Thread (milton)

subscribing because I have the same problem. Except I am not turboed and have high millage. Where would you go to get the head decked, and how long would that take.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:51 PM

Default Re: Leak and Loose Thread (Liquidgsr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Liquidgsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">subscribing because I have the same problem. Except I am not turboed and have high millage. Where would you go to get the head decked, and how long would that take.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i have seen this many of times...its usually happens when a head has been taken off the wrong way...or you redline all the time...i have done both...but i didnt take of the head...i bought a head where the guy messed it up...leak from the same side...also i was racing a motorcycle and heard a lil pop...then oil started to seap out of the head gasket...but no drivability problem.....as to where you can get your head mil, deck, resurface..or whatever you want to call it...your local machine shop can do it...the price ranges from about 25 to 50 bucks...and it should be a one day turn around...
Old 03-05-2006, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Leak and Loose Thread (methanemotorworks)

ah redlining explains a lot. I have done that so many times. I guess will look into getting this done maybe sometime this summer. Any effects of this damaging my motor if i keep driving like this if i can't get to fixing it soon?
Old 03-05-2006, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I had oil build up in the same spot on my B16 the dizzy o-ring and cam plug where both replaced before it stopped . good luck
Old 03-05-2006, 07:57 PM

Default Re: (egsleepercivic)

that leak is from boosting your car with high compression on stock headstuds, you are probably lifting the head under boost enough to leak oil out from that corner, there is also a drain from the head to the block in that area.

When you rev high, you hit vtec, oil is puhed into the head to do this at the same time you are boosting your head is lifting and oil is being pushed out. Do you hear a pop if you get off the gas and let it coast in high RPM?