Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

JDM zc dohc - setting timing.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JDM zc dohc - setting timing.

I purchessed a new timing belt, tensioner, and bseries adjustable cam gears.

a few people that have had b series engines and looked at my motor, and a few guys on here said that I should have 13 teeth between the up marks on my cam gears. I have only ever been able to get 12 teeth between the up marks on the cam gears(notchs line up on gears), while keeping crank at tdc(white mark). - check pics...

I tried to set cams with 13 teeth between the up marks but my crank will sit at approx 10.7 deg before or after TDC (with cam notches lined up)...
-I can't just adjust one tooth on the crank because each tooth is 21.4deg

-this is where the adjustable cam gears come in... since the cams move half the rotation of the crank, if the crank is 10.7deg off, then the cams are 5.35deg off = half a tooth.

everything just lines up two perfect with 12 teeth between the up marks. can anyone please confirm or deny if this 13 teeth thing is true? I'm right in the middle of changing the timing belt, tensioner and cam gears. I installed the new belt and tensioner on the stock gears first just to make sure I wasn't working around belt stretch before. the new belt is on and everything lines up exactly the same so that should rule out belt stretch.

any input helps. I'm currently attending school for my mechanic apprenticship, its just my first year, but I know enough that its not just a loose belt.

this is 12 teeth between the up marks
Attached Images   
Old 02-06-2010, 02:17 PM

Default Re: JDM zc dohc - setting timing.

note: when I realized that on the b series cam gears to work on a zc, you need to move the right side notch up one tooth. So it would kindof make sense that b series are 13 belt teeth between the up marks, and the zc dohcJDM is 12 teeth between the up marks.
-this is what I'm thinking now
Old 02-06-2010, 02:33 PM

Default Re: JDM zc dohc - setting timing.

ok, so that first photo shows 13 teeth between the up marks, got this from another thread. I guess this is supposed to be right.

now if you look closely at the photo from the haynes manual, you can see that there are 12 teeth between the up marks, and the up arrows are slightly pointed towards each other.

Jlicrx has a good writeup using the haynes manual pics on the zcspeed site. it does say that the up arrows will NOT be pointing straight up at 12oclock. but doesn't say if there slightly pointing outwards(13 teeth) or slightly pointed inwards(12 teeth).
Attached Images