Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Increasing MPG with aftermarket upgrades.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Increasing MPG with aftermarket upgrades.

I was just wondering what aftermarket upgrades are available that will increase MPG.

I know a CAI is supposed to add a few MPG and that a aftermarket exhaust can help.

Are there specific types of these you need or can get to effect the MPG more then the HP?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Increasing MPG with aftermarket upgrades. (DrNolove)

should increase your gas mileage by a few mpg, but in some cases you'll lose some miles other than gaining them.. but as that is depending on your foot weight..

but i have a dohc zc-t and im getting 30-32 mpg and thats getting on it every so often..
Old 08-01-2008, 02:58 PM

Aftermarket upgrades and increased MPG really should not go together in the same sentence since most are aimed towards performance. If you want to get an increase in MPG, then buying aftermarket performance parts really doesn't seem to make much sense if you are concerned about miles per gallon. A simple tune up would be a better choice.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A tunable ECU that allows you to lean out the fuel curve is the only mod I can think of that will significantly help your fuel economy.

A CAI and exhaust may help slightly but I guarantee you will be more inclined to drive the car harder because it makes more noise and seems a bit faster. I'll also bet that the savings seen at the pump would take a long time to cover the cost for those two modifications.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Increasing MPG with aftermarket upgrades. (Dartanian)

How could adding air to the combustion chamber save mpg? More air, more gas...stay stock,
Old 08-03-2008, 01:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Increasing MPG with aftermarket upgrades. (omnirage)

So, you are saying a more efficient air filter and exhaust system would cause poorer milage?
Old 08-03-2008, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Increasing MPG with aftermarket upgrades. (Dark@Powers)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dark@Powers &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Aftermarket upgrades and increased MPG really should not go together in the same sentence since most are aimed towards performance. If you want to get an increase in MPG, then buying aftermarket performance parts really doesn't seem to make much sense if you are concerned about miles per gallon. A simple tune up would be a better choice.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok go away seriously, you dont know what your saying. and i'm not even gonna try and argue with you but you can read below to see why your wrong.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by omnirage &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How could adding air to the combustion chamber save mpg? More air, more gas...stay stock,</TD></TR></TABLE>

you can go and join Dark@Powers as you are both very confused however i will be arguing with you, intakes don't add power cause they are putting more air into the combustion chamber baka and even if it did do you think your ECU is going to tune itself and add more fuel? anyhow, aftermarket intakes make power becuase they usually bring in colder air which is denser and has more oxygen per volume which actually makes your car run a tad leaner and more oxygen gives a bit more power, thats how you can gain power and mpg at the same time. intakes also flow better so the engine does not have to waste its own power trying to suck air through an inefficient filter.

Modified by blinx9900 at 11:36 PM 8/3/2008
Old 08-03-2008, 10:54 PM

Default Re: Increasing MPG with aftermarket upgrades. (blinx9900)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blinx9900 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

ok go away seriously, you dont know what your saying. and i'm not even gonna try and argue with you but you can read below to see why your wrong.

you can go and join Dark@Powers as you are both very confused however i will be arguing with you, intakes don't add power cause they are putting more air into the combustion chamber baka and even if it did do you think your ECU is going to tune itself and add more fuel? anyhow, aftermarket intakes make power becuase they usually bring in colder air which is denser and has more oxygen per volume which actually makes your car run a tad leaner and more oxygen gives a bit more power, thats how you can gain power and mpg at the same time. intakes also flow better so the engine does not have to waste its own power trying to suck air through an inefficient filter.

Modified by blinx9900 at 11:36 PM 8/3/2008</TD></TR></TABLE>

You need to calm down, take a breath and reread what I said before you start making accusations.

My statement is referencing the fact that nearly all people buy aftermarket parts to increase the performance, IN TERMS OF POWER, of their cars, which those same people go on to use. "Use" as in driving with a lead foot every once in a while to enjoy their new part, whatever it may be and whatever they think it registers on the good 'ol butt dyno. "SHOULD" would be the key term in my original post. I could have been more clear on this, but I did not think someone was cruising the forums trying to critique me. I considered editing my post to make it more clear soon after I posted, but Dartanian summed it all up very well thirty minutes after I posted. Funny how that happens hu?

As far as "reading below", that whole argument is regarding what Omnirage said, which has nothing in common with my statement besides the general fact of being against buying an aftermarket part for the said reason..... C'mon now.