Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

How strong are Honda Automatic Tranny's?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2001, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How strong are Honda Automatic Tranny's?

I'm going to turbocharge my GF's 00' LS. I plan on upgrading the car's automatic tranny with a Level 10 Torque Converter and tranny cooler. My question is: is the Integra's automatic transmission strong enough to handle a turbo? Do you know anyone with a turbo'd automatic Teg? Someone told me turbo's on automatic cars is not a bad idea, because you can start building boost right off the line.
Old 11-09-2001, 12:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: How strong are Honda Automatic Tranny's? (CWestIntegra)

Autos are good for turbo, esp. since you wont loose boost between shifts!!
Old 11-09-2001, 08:47 PM
BoM
Honda-Tech Member

ur gf dont' want stick?

i never seen a honda auto turbo.
i've seen nos on it thoough, many 50's and a couple 75 shots.
i've also seen super chargers w/ 50 shots too.
im not sure about turbo, but if u have a good enough torque converter, it'll handle the boost.
Old 11-10-2001, 02:07 AM
New User

Default Re: How strong are Honda Automatic Tranny's? (bommiE)

Well, let's just say I am on my third auto tranny right now. I run a Prelude motor on nitrous. The first tranny just got flat worn out. It had 100,000 miles on it. The second tranny, I flattened the vanes in the TQ convertor in about 6 months. Now the third tranny is currently holding up. I could have just changed the TQ convertor in the old tranny, but I wanted a spare tranny anyway.

Like said above, a good TQ convertor will help, however, the clutch paks will need to be replaced with something beefer to handle a good amount of boost. You could run 6psi without problems (over time they will wear though) but if you ant to run anything higher than that, I highly suggest a Level 10 upgrade on the internals.
Old 11-10-2001, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont think its a good idea unless you plan on only boosting 4-6lbs, I think Honda trannies can handle maybe 30-40 HP over stock. Anything more and it might wear out.
Old 11-10-2001, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: gravity rides everything...everything will fall, se GA/ne FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a ls hybrid '93 hatch. it is auto and it has the gsr greddy kit. i have had it on for several months now and i beat the **** out of it but i only boost 7-9 psi. it runs very strong. it is stock auto. i know i should do five speed but there is good drama with the auto. for holding and being able to shift correctly at high boost, the tranny should have a valve body upgrade. for launching, that's basically the purpose of a torue converter and it needs to be high stall...probably at least 5k. but the valve body is going to be what strengthens the tranny's ability to shift and hold the power. whatever you do to the g.f's car...put the biggest tranny cooler you can fit into your space. i went to the 1/8th mile races last night and pulled better times than the tt's that were there...rx-7 with turbo upgrades, 300z, and 3000gt vr4. i was averaging best times with a fully built 20G, 25 psi, awd talon...my best time was a 8.62 @84.8 balding stock 13" tires. it should run good. i feel like having a 2k lb hatch and auto hybrid...it shifts a lot harder because there is less load on the converter...i put a car load of people in my car (roughly the weight of an ls) and it seems to strain harder. if you can go any bit lighter...it would make for a cooler tranny, harder shifts, just better in my opinion. oh well if i mess up my tranny eh...new tranny time! go ahead and do it...i think it will hold up fine. it'll be the best thing to happen to her car besides the 5.speed but some people like auto's for strange reasons...i like the drama. good luck.
Old 11-10-2001, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How strong are Honda Automatic Tranny's? (the sneezer EG)

How big is your tranny cooler, sneezer?