Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

how to - auto to 5spd - brake pedal

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to - auto to 5spd - brake pedal

this "mod" was done on my 97 accord, and i used a brake pedal off of a 94/95 model. so there was no modification needed.

ok, long story short, i got the 5spd brake pedal about a month ago and i never had a problem so this should work. also i believe this "how to" can be applied to other models as well.

it took me about an hour and 15 minutes

i wouldn't say this "swap" is hard, in fact, with little experience in using tools, this can be done in 2 hours at the most.

here is the result.

unfortunately, i was concentrating on the swap, i forgot to take many pix so this "write up" will be mostly in words. also, i didn't do anything with the pedal bracket but i only switched the brake pedal.

first thing first, u need right tools.

1. curved needle nose plier (doesn't sound like the right name, lmk if this is its name ) - the most important tool. u will need this to get the spring out and replacing it back into its place.

2. socket wrench & extension - u will need 14mm socket and 12mm socket.

3. wrenches - if u don't have two of 14mm wrenches, u can substitute with a 9/16 in. wrench. this is not a mendatory but u may need it to get the 5spd brake pedal outta the bracket.

Procedure

1. u will start with removing the trim that is covering the steering column and all the wires around it. not sure what they are called, please lmk if u know it.
u will need to take out the ashtray? coin tray? on the left side the steering wheel, and u will see a screw there. (i'll post pix tomorrow when its bright enough to take pix outside.) after unscrew it, u can just pull out the cover which is being held by several clips.
set it aside

2. i highly recommand removing the driver's seat from the car for more room, but u don't have to.

3. before u start taking anything apart, take ur time to see thats there and KNOW what u r doing.

4. remove the pedal bracket support. u will need 12mm socket wrench i had the extension so i was easy enough. by doing this, i will help u controlling ur anger. lol

5. flatten the cotter pin and remove it from the pin that is connecting the pedal and the brake master cylinder. u will need a 2.0x30mm cotter pin or split pin according to majestic honda. i just went to home depot and bought couple of 3/32x 1.5 in. cotter pin which is a little bigger than 2.0x30mm.
u may need to get exact same size cotter pin. the hole on the pin connecting the pedal with the brake master cylinder in my car wasn't big enough to use the cotter pin i bought. however, the pin that i picked up from junkyard had a hole that was wide enough so the 3/32 cotter pin can go through.

6. after making sure u have a right size pin, go ahead and get the pin (not cotter pin) out.

7. with curved needle nose plier remove the spring. now the pedal is free in its movement, and ready to come outta ur car! :w00tz
no offense, for those who have think fingers, will have hardtime putting this B!tch spring back in.

8. now unbolt the bolt and nut holding the brake pedal in its position.
they are 14mm. i didn't need to use two wrenches but u may need the extra wrench to prevent the bolt from spinning. O BTW, the nut is on the left side.

9. the auto brake pedal is out :clappy

10. next, put the 5spd brake pedal in and put the bolt and nut back.

11. now the fun part begins. put the pin so the brake pedal and the brake master cylinder can be stationary, put the cotter pin u have. 1.5 inch was in fact too long, it took me about 10 minutes to do this step. some cussing involved :bash. now curve the pin with plier, so it wouldn't come out. DUH! :hehe

12. even better, now its time for the spring to ge back in. did i mention removing the bracket support would help?? yep i sure did.
to me, there is no better way to explain it with pix, but as i said i didn't get many pix and at the position i was at it was impossible to take pix.
but i'll give it a try.

from underneath, reaching from the right side the pedal arm, put the spring in and let it sit there. now its time to use the curved needle nose plier

grab the hook of the spring with plier with both hand if u need to. and do what u need to do. i could use my both hand since i had enough room for them and i could look what i was doing without using my hand.

doing this way, u will get the best visibility of what u r doing.

13. if the spring is in, make sure the brake pedal stopper is in contact with brake switch. mine did. most of the time, it will be fine but if not, have to adjust the switch.

14. put ignition key in, and turn the key so its in on position. u do not need to turn the car on. this step is to make sure the braket lights don't come on even when the brake pedal is NOT depressed.

replace the seat back into its pisition. might wanna close the back door so u don't scratch it. cuz i did

put everything else back, now u r done!

any corrections are welcome, questions are welcome as well.

thanks for reading.

P.S. if u need anything u see from my sig, pm me. make sure u read it from the beginning to the end. i need to have gone as they get outta my car.
thanks again.