Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Is it headgasket, rings, or both?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it headgasket, rings, or both?

My car is smoking a lot of white smoke at start up and in high rpms. Also from the breather white smoke is also coming out and when I removed the oil cap white smoke came out from there. When I removed the radiator cap it looked like there was oil in there and the overflow resevior was muddy and nasty. Also my car seems to be making a lot less power than it should. Its a lsvtec with skunk2 stage 2 cams and ctr pistons and it only made 180hp blowing mad smoke.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is it headgasket, rings, or both? (Teal95Coupe)

well ill tell you from experience, that white smoke that is coming from your motor i believe is BLOW BY. i have the same problem and it is the rings. run a compression test and a leak down test and i can almost assure you that it is your piston rings. if it is your rings, which im almost POSITIVe that it is, you will have to rip apart the block and have them replaced. when you do this though, your head gasket will have to be replaced anyway and you should be good to go.
Old 06-17-2004, 04:41 AM

youre wrong anothersickhatch. white smoke is coolant (steam from exhaust), blue is oil, and black is fuel. this sounds like a headgasket problem for sure, actually, i am 100% positive it is, if its white smoke, its youre headgasket. if your rings were bad, it would be getting blowby, but it would be blue smoke because of it burning oil.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:12 AM

Default Re: (philipkrotch)

Well I hope it is the headgasket because the head was just put on by a shop and they guaranteed all their work. They were telling me it was blowby and that it was not their fault because the problem was in the bottom end. Me with less knowledge excepted them at their word but when I saw the gunk in the coolant I started doubting them. I tried to do a compression check earlier in the week but the gauge got stuck, if you saw my other post, and I wont be able to get back to it until this weekend.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:38 AM

if u saw a milky color in the coolant...then its your headgasket. take it back and demand it be replaced...make sure its an OEM honda one though.
Old 06-17-2004, 06:00 AM

My only question is if the rings were also bad could that then make the headgasket go bad? Because I'm sure they are going to say it was the rings that made the headgasket fail. I guess I wont know if they are bad until I check them. With the quality of the work they did I dont know if I want them touching it again so maybe I'll just have them buy me the parts. Thing is it wasnt smoking until they touched it. I brought it in to get tuned and the valves bent on the dyno. I would have had time to fix it for weeks so I had them fix it. Before getting it retuned I drove it for the weekend. On the dyno is when I saw the clouds of smoke and the told me it was the rings.
Old 06-17-2004, 06:07 AM

no..its impossible to have bad rings cause headgasket failure.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well philip, <U>maybe the mechanic is wrong too</U>. if it was a bad headgasket, do you think he would still notice an extreme drop in performance? also, if it were the head gasket, burning coolant would not cause THAT much smoke from the engine bay, just more so from the exhaust.
Old 06-21-2004, 03:56 AM

yes he would notice a huge drop in performance...it may be the rings as well, but more than likely, if he changed the HG it would be fine. also, the steamn coming out of the breather is probably just al the coolant in the oil burning when its at starup, ie. STEAM.
Old 03-29-2005, 07:50 PM

Update. Me and my friend did a compression check at his shop and he told me he was sure it was the rings. So I took out the motor and put in a d16z6 I was going to put in my ef. I left the lsvtec at his shop bewcause I havent really jad the time or the money to do anything with it. His shop was moving so I had to take the motor home. To fit it in my car I had to take it apart. As we were taking it apart we noticed the 2 nuts on the head studs by the cylinder that was bad were not torgued down or even half way down the stud. Also the piston was white which he said looked like coolant. Could this have caused the problems and if I put a new head gasket on and properly torqued it should my motor then be fine or could other damage have been caused?