Notices

bluish white smoke from exhaust

Old 02-23-2003, 12:15 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bluish white smoke from exhaust

a friend of mine was driving behind me today and noticed bluish white smoke coming out from my tailpipe... usually occuring briefly as a little puf of smoke during downshifts. i know this means im burnin oil in a bad way... so do you think it might be my rings finally goin out?

i was racin the other day... launching and gunnin it down an open highway to test out my boost controller. everything was fine during all test runs... so now im thinkin bad thoughts in my head about it.

im goin to do a compression check on monday.
Old 02-23-2003, 12:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: bluish white smoke from exhaust (SIK IN DA HED)

compression test...only way to tell..
Old 02-23-2003, 08:25 AM

Default Re: bluish white smoke from exhaust (MiraiZ)

it could be humiditi white smoke(when you start the car sometime) or head gasket or cracked sleeve if it a real dense white smoke
you can smell the exaust and check coolant if there is bubble when you open the radiator cap
Old 02-23-2003, 12:32 PM

a friend of mine was driving behind me today and noticed bluish white smoke coming out from my tailpipe... usually occuring briefly as a little puf of smoke during downshifts. i know this means im burnin oil in a bad way... so do you think it might be my rings finally goin out?

i was racin the other day... launching and gunnin it down an open highway to test out my boost controller. everything was fine during all test runs... so now im thinkin bad thoughts in my head about it.

im goin to do a compression check on monday.
does it happen on deceleration, acceleration or just when you take it our of gear?
Generally blue smoke under acceleration is worn rings, smoke under deceleration (let up on the gas while in gear) is valve guides. and smoke when you take i out of gear just means nothing good...
blue smoke = oil
white smoke = coolant
black smoke = fuel
Old 02-23-2003, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: bluish white smoke from exhaust (b16ahybrid)

I dont have that much experience but how worn down is the head it might be your valve seals going out. We were just talking bout that with my friends car this weekend when he had a faint sighn of white smoke exiting his exhaust between shifts.-pdang
Old 02-23-2003, 02:50 PM

Default Re: bluish white smoke from exhaust (MiraiZ)

compression test...only way to tell..
Old 02-23-2003, 02:50 PM

Don't forget to check your oil return line. If it has become kinked for some reason the oil won't drain properly into the pan. Then it'll back up in the turbo, eventually leaking out the seals into the exhaust housing, causing bluish white smoke to exit the tailpipe.
Old 02-23-2003, 05:23 PM
New User

Default Re: bluish white smoke from exhaust (turbopimp)

good suggestions, guys... thanks.

actually, when i was checkin my oil the other day... i did notice unusual oil saturation on the edges of my valve cover... so maybe it could have somethin to do with the head. i actually hit 7900+ rpms when i misshifted while racing.. so it might have done some damage. however, i know my motor is gettin old, so i wouldnt be surprised if the rings were goin out. i just rather avoid gettin a new motor or havin to do any repairs right now. im goin to take a look at my car in a few days when i actually have a day off. it still seems to be running fine... but there could be somethin wrong and i want to make surei dont make it worse...
Old 03-23-2003, 12:37 PM

Default Re: bluish white smoke from exhaust (C5turbo)

Hey,
I had a bubble when I looked down into my radiator when I took the cap off.. what does that mean? I am blowing white/blue smoke after the car warms up. It sounds like a skidoo!

-Q
Old 03-23-2003, 02:09 PM

Default Re: bluish white smoke from exhaust (Goldfingiz)

valve seals?? only leak under hard vacumm like down shifts when only vacumm in present!