Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Crank seal replacement b16a3 problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 04:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 Crank seal replacement b16a3 problems

I am having problems installing the timing cover side crank oil seal on a b16a3 (Del Sol Vtec)

Everytime I try to install this seal the inner lip folds over and the tiny spring inside the seal pops out and it's impossible to get it back in (requiring me to buy a new seal and start over)
I've tried lubing the seal in oil, but the lip still folds over.

Also, I've been tapping the seal in with a large socket and actually damaged the rubber doing this. I just bought more seals and am going to try this again. Does anyone have any tips?

I have thought about trying to use the old seal to tap in the new one, to avoid damaging the rubber, but I have no idea how to prevent the lip from opening up and releasing the spring!

Please help!
Old 06-01-2009, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Crank seal replacement b16a3 problems

i spin them on when i put them on and i dont really ever have problems with the inner seal folding. also, make sure ur not trying to put on one side first, make sure seal is level when installing.

also, double check to make sure ur using the correct seal.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't know if it will help much but you can pack some petroleum jelly in the seal to try and hold the spring in better, it will dissolve in the oil and won't hurt anything.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I recommend OEM crank and cam seals. How I did this before I bought model specific seal installation tools.I start by lubing the inside ad outside of the seal with clean engine oil. Then I take the crank seal, slide it over the crank until it sits almost square with the seal opening. The using just my fingers/thumbs I also sort of spin it as I am pushing evenly with my fingers/thumbs to get it started Then push it with my thumbs until almost all the way seated. Then I use a long 3/8" extension While holding it directly against the crank I tap the aquare drive end until the front end contacts the block. There will be a metallic solid sound then. The 3/8" drive will seat the seal just the right depth without going too far. Then I run my finger around the edge of seal to feel its installed height and where it is high I Tap a little more until the seal's depth is syymetrical. I inspect and make sure the inner lip did not roll. Done. This is a homeade method. You can buy the installer for this seal for around $50 but unless you work on cars for $$$ this probably would not be a good investment.