Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Car jerking error code p1381

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car jerking error code p1381

Hi,
Honda Accord 2002 SE 2 door coupe 190k miles, new transmission less than a year old
Symptoms
While driving car starts jerking violently for a few seconds then the check engine comes up. This happens sporadically but seems to happened after driving for long time at least 30 min or more.

When putting it on the computer the error code came up is p1381

I have switched distributor few times, thinking the first time it was faulty, then second and third same thing few days later after fixing it the symptoms come back and the light comes back (check engine)

Also, while sitting in idle the RPMs go down almost to car shutting down then it comes back up a little bit (not sure if it s related)

I changed spark plug and wires just to be sure (Honda parts) but that didn't help

Any ideas are welcomed.
Thanks in advance
Old 04-26-2015, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Car jerking error code p1381

I have seen this error code several times and is almost always a faulty alternstor diodes. Generally a quick diagnosis for this is to unplug the alternator and clear code. Test drive it and see if code Comes baCk. If it doesn't then you need to replace the alterNator. This can also be picked up using a gr8 or equivalent charging system tester.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:34 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would test for continuity from the distributor connector back to the appropriate ecu connector pin while wiggling wires to see if there is an intermittent open.

If it tests good, I would go with the above posters idea and test the alternator.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
I would test for continuity from the distributor connector back to the appropriate ecu connector pin while wiggling wires to see if there is an intermittent open.

If it tests good, I would go with the above posters idea and test the alternator.
Thank you people for the ideas.
OK so it took me a little bit of time. I've been driving and sometimes the code comes and the car jerks couple time during the trip, the others the engine light comes up and the only thing i notice during the long stop the rpm drops almost feeling like its going to die but it stays very low but stays nonetheless. Sometimes for days the code doesn't show up and the car drives fine, same distance same length of time.
I went into the shop this morning. We tested the alternator looks good, once again looked into Distributor cap, the only thing is it doesn't have the cover for the coil, but it never did so that doesn't seem to be a problem.
Are you suggesting that after all that I should go ahead and change the alternator?
Old 06-05-2015, 08:34 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you try unplugging the big alternator plug and driving around ? Don't touch the main power wire. Just unplug the big plug. See if the issue subsides.

Honestly I've never heard of this code being the alternator, but his test won't hurt anything and it may just point you to the culprit.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:21 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by mindprint99
Hi,
Honda Accord 2002 SE 2 door coupe 190k miles, new transmission less than a year old
Symptoms
While driving car starts jerking violently for a few seconds then the check engine comes up. This happens sporadically but seems to happened after driving for long time at least 30 min or more.

When putting it on the computer the error code came up is p1381

I have switched distributor few times, thinking the first time it was faulty, then second and third same thing few days later after fixing it the symptoms come back and the light comes back (check engine)

Also, while sitting in idle the RPMs go down almost to car shutting down then it comes back up a little bit (not sure if it s related)

I changed spark plug and wires just to be sure (Honda parts) but that didn't help

Any ideas are welcomed.
Thanks in advance
Thanks it has been wonderful site this my first time here I had the same problem but I just replaced the alternator and problems solved
Old 07-23-2021, 07:49 PM
Trial User

2000 Honda Accord LX, f23a4. limping with code 1381 showing, after replacing all of the ignition components and checking the wires from ECU to the distributor and then continuing to show the same code i came across this today and did as suggested clear code andunplug connector on alternator,he code has not returned and my car is not going back to the limp mode that definetly worked to narrow the problem down.