Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

car dies when I turn

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 08:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default car dies when I turn

this is a very weird problem, it seems like whenever I turn after I'm on the gas pretty hard the car seems to die... I replaced the fuel filter, cleaned the TB, and even used some injector cleaner stuff and it's still doing it

anyone have some ideas?
Old 03-08-2004, 02:21 PM

up
Old 03-08-2004, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: car dies when I turn (Steve90HB)

How much gas do you have?
Old 03-08-2004, 03:26 PM

Default Re: car dies when I turn (mattssi)

full tank of new gas
Old 03-08-2004, 03:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had this same problem. every time i did a hard turn, the car died and the ECU fuse popped. turns out the reason was, my o2 sensor was rubbing against my heat shield under the car, and it cut into the wire. i bent that shield back and put a new o2 in there and i never had it happen again.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:21 PM

Default Re: car dies when I turn (Mike K)

well the thing is that it starts right back up, even while the car is moving... so it's nothing with the fuse on the ECU and the O2 sensor wire looks perfectly fine and not rubbing against anything
Old 03-08-2004, 08:34 PM

Just a guess, it might have something to do with your ignition system! Check your distributor(cap, rotor etc...)
Old 03-08-2004, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

maybe the ps is taking a bunch of power from the engine and stalling it out? i dunno very farfetched but it could happen
Old 03-08-2004, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Steve90HB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well the thing is that it starts right back up, even while the car is moving... so it's nothing with the fuse on the ECU and the O2 sensor wire looks perfectly fine and not rubbing against anything</TD></TR></TABLE>

check all of your vacuum lines for kinks in the lines, pin holes leaks, obstruction in the vacuum lines.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:56 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Steve90HB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this is a very weird problem, it seems like whenever I turn after I'm on the gas pretty hard the car seems to die... I replaced the fuel filter, cleaned the TB, and even used some injector cleaner stuff and it's still doing it

anyone have some ideas?</TD></TR></TABLE>

that would be your fuel pump that happens on all GM's
Old 03-09-2004, 06:18 AM

Default Re: car dies when I turn (untuned)

Is there any way to test the fuel pump?

Also, all the vacuum lines look good

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
maybe the ps is taking a bunch of power from the engine and stalling it out? i dunno very farfetched but it could happen
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I thought about this, but it just doesn't sound possible

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Just a guess, it might have something to do with your ignition system! Check your distributor(cap, rotor etc...)
</TD></TR></TABLE>

it seems pretty good, I got new plugs and wires when I bought the car...
Old 03-09-2004, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Steve90HB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is there any way to test the fuel pump?

Also, all the vacuum lines look good

I thought about this, but it just doesn't sound possible

it seems pretty good, I got new plugs and wires when I bought the car... </TD></TR></TABLE>

just because it "looks good" doesn't mean you can tell visually that's it's in good condition. you have to physically examine each and every line. easiest way to find if all the vacuum lines are truly in good condition is to do a vacuum test. it's your car, time and money. just my .02
Old 03-09-2004, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car dies when I turn (sleeperciv)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sleeperciv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

check all of your vacuum lines for kinks in the lines, pin holes leaks, obstruction in the vacuum lines.</TD></TR></TABLE>

when you are on the gas really hard, vacuum leaks become less and less noticeable as the more open the throttle gets... so this is probably not it.
I would look toward ignition problems, coil, ignition relay, wires, plugs.

for it to be a fuel starvation problem you would have to be in the turn for a decent amount of time.. have you run your car with a full tank of gas?

could be a fuel pressure thing.. but doesn't quite sound like it.. maybe something is grounding out.
Old 03-09-2004, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car dies when I turn (Crazydave)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Crazydave &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

when you are on the gas really hard, vacuum leaks become less and less noticeable as the more open the throttle gets... so this is probably not it.
I would look toward ignition problems, coil, ignition relay, wires, plugs.

for it to be a fuel starvation problem you would have to be in the turn for a decent amount of time.. have you run your car with a full tank of gas?

could be a fuel pressure thing.. but doesn't quite sound like it.. maybe something is grounding out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I see your point but when he said "on a turn" I assume he's off the throttle that's why I said check all your vacuum lines. of course when you're on the throttle the vacuum is less and less but when you go into a turn and hopefully are using your brakes to manuver yourself around the corner, you will be on vacuum for a few seconds.
Old 03-09-2004, 04:39 PM
Lover

seriously sounds like a wiring problem
Old 03-09-2004, 05:34 PM

Default Re: car dies when I turn (Crazydave)

a quick way to find out if its a vaccum leak, pump the break while you car is at park and on and if the rpm rises without stepping on the accelerator then you have a vaccum leak, possiblly in your booster. Second I would take the didtributor out and inspect the rotor make sure that its screwed on tight, check for voltage on your igniter and coil and check your cap! Third check voltage on your fuel pump. If all else fail you are **** out of luck or it might be something stupid that you are overlooking! Good luck