Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Myth? or Truth?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Myth? or Truth?

I'm doing a drum to rear disc conversion my on 92' eg civic and i'm also replacing the front rotors at the same time. My rear conversion comes from a 94' ex coupe. I'm replacing the rear rotors on them as well BUT even tho I got both old rear rotors off. I'm having a VERY hard time getting that dam screw out that holds the rotor to the hub. Obviously the heads of the rusted screws snapped off with the impact driver Thats how I got the old rotors to come off. I tried everything to get the body of the screw out of the hub without damaging the threads but it sucks cause there so rusted to the hub.

Two car guys told me 2 different things Now heres the myth or truth question;

Car Guy 1,
said that i can just skipped tryin to get out the body of the screw out the hub and that i really dont have to use the screw to hold the rotor to the hub. I can just put the rotor on the hub like normal setup the caliper on the rotor like normal and when i mount the rim an tire to the car that will act as if i properly mounted the rotor to the hub. Is this true?? has anyone ever not screwed the rotor to the hub and just sandwich the rotor to the hub when you mount the rim an tire?? Is this even an option??

Car Guy 2,
Pretty much said that I cant do that and that I need to get the body of the screw out. So i can properly mount the rotor to the hub using a new screw and the impact driver. then properly mount the caliper to the rotor then the rim an tire. I no i need to do it this way but Car Guy 1 made it seem like im wasting my time with tryin to get the body of the screw out since im having such a hard time with it.

HHHHEEELLLLPPPP!!!!!!!!
Old 08-24-2011, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Myth? or Truth?

To get the screw out first cut a slot in the body with a grinder. Then heat it with oxy acetelyn torch, when it glows red add some wax to the threads. The wax should get sucked in. Then try to remove it with a screwdriver. I have done this a few times succesfully. You can also try an easy out but dont break it. They are almost impossible to drill out. Last option is to drill it out with a bit slightly smaller than the hole and clean the threads with a tap after.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You do not have to use the screw, it holds the rotor for ease of assembly, but the wheel will hold it on when you are assembling. You can put the rotor on and turn on one wheel lug to hold it as well. I have never had to leave broken off screw studs, but it should not bother assembly if you can fit the new rotors flat to the hub.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Drive 4 fun
You do not have to use the screw, it holds the rotor for ease of assembly, but the wheel will hold it on when you are assembling. You can put the rotor on and turn on one wheel lug to hold it as well. I have never had to leave broken off screw studs, but it should not bother assembly if you can fit the new rotors flat to the hub.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm thirding Drive 4 Fun -- the screw is unnecessary. It's only used for assembly. I drilled mine out long ago with no problems. I don't recall having any trouble drilling them out. In any case, it's not like you'll ever need the threads again...
Old 08-25-2011, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Drive 4 fun
this
Old 08-28-2011, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just drill it out its not necessary
Old 08-28-2011, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

use fire to heat up the area around the screw and it should come out. works every time for me.

as for needing the screw... when the wheel is bolted on it does the same job as the screw that holds on the rotors.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:27 AM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The screws are not needed.

Originally Posted by shotime
Car Guy 2,
Pretty much said that I cant do that and that I need to get the body of the screw out. So i can properly mount the rotor to the hub using a new screw and the impact driver. then properly mount the caliper to the rotor then the rim an tire. I no i need to do it this way but Car Guy 1 made it seem like im wasting my time with tryin to get the body of the screw out since im having such a hard time with it.

HHHHEEELLLLPPPP!!!!!!!!

And you DO NOT want use an impact driver to tighten those screws!