Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Suggestions Needed: Parts Methods to Rebuild the B16A2 to Glory

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 02:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Suggestions Needed: Parts Methods to Rebuild the B16A2 to Glory

Currently i'm running a stock B16A2 with high mileage. I'm thinking about rebuilding it with newer better parts soon. What are some of the best parts to buy for the motor in terms of pistons, rods, cranksaft, and etc...I want the best of all the parts. Btw i want to stay within the naturally aspirated zone. No boosting. Just n/a...Thanks!
Old 10-20-2016, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default re: Suggestions Needed: Parts Methods to Rebuild the B16A2 to Glory

Best bet is
go buy yourself a b20/ls block
tear it down
go buy p30 pistons
buy ls arp rod bolts
new vtec gsr timing belt water pump
new oil pump
new bearings kit
new oil pan gasket
new front main seal
gsr/itr arp head studs
new nonv head gasket
golden eagle ls/b20vtec kit
have your block all assembled ready to assemble the head/tranny

drive your b16a2 Till it dies (will take forever if u keep up with maintenance) but once it blows
remove head> install in your new b20/ls vtec
dyno
voila you got a very fun dd
Old 10-20-2016, 12:02 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Or find a GSR and do the sabe thing without the ls/vtec kit, and save time and issues
Old 10-20-2016, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lol. No No. You guys are missing my point. I don't want a motor swap. I want to keep the same B16A2 and rebuild it with better parts!
The following users liked this post:
Old 10-20-2016, 05:50 PM

Default Re: B16A2 Rebuild Parts

Originally Posted by Type 56
Lol. No No. You guys are missing my point. I don't want a motor swap. I want to keep the same B16A2 and rebuild it with better parts!
I gotcha. What are you trying to do with the car? Restore/Refresh using all OEM parts? Aftermarket forged components for a particular purpose? This has to be stated first. There is no best.. Only what's best for you.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
I gotcha. What are you trying to do with the car? Restore/Refresh using all OEM parts? Aftermarket forged components for a particular purpose? This has to be stated first. There is no best.. Only what's best for you.
It's gonna be a rebuild with something like Wiseco pistons w/Eagle rods or whichever pistons/rods combination is best. Everything internally is gonna be replaced with the best of after market parts. Cranksaft, cam shaft, springs etc...I'm trying to build the best N/A b16a2 possible without adding on a ITB.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:48 AM

It's gonna be a rebuild with something like Wiseco pistons w/Eagle rods or whichever pistons/rods combination is best. Everything internally is gonna be replaced with the best of after market parts. Cranksaft, cam shaft, springs etc...I'm trying to build the best N/A b16a2 possible without adding on a ITB.
Ok. But again, there is no best. What you have to realize is because there are so many combinations that can possibly work, the question is really what the purpose of the car is. If it's a road race/street car, or street/strip, or just something to be clean and simple, the parts choices are going to be different for different purposes. Everything from compression, to the type of fuel used, even camshaft choice, all can have thousands of combinations., and each are best in their own way.

We don't all drive our cars the same for the same reason, but we all want the best combination for our purpose. I could easily tell you to use $900 Carillo Rods, $700 pistons, and $1500 camshafts for just a drag racing purpose. But even without Individual throttle bodies, that doesn't mean that it's the best combination that's out there, especially if it's outside any budgetary constraints. Some of that very expensive money could be used very differently, even in the way of using a different block (for higher levels of torque, and other attributes), instead of trying to find "The best" parts.

Have you taken into account what fuel you plan to use? Those require different components from the factory for any build you're considering.

Have you looked at other B16s that are similar to are put in a similar way for what you're trying to do? what other platforms are you trying to compete with? (Evolutions? Fords? Subarus? Which?)

I know this sounds like a lot to take in, and that you truly believe that your question is simple, but in all fairness, it's not an easy choice. I will say that staying with the B16 block can seriously limit your possibilities of increased power and torque (if that's your purpose), unless it possesses some type of Forced Induction. It's definitely doable, but again, the parts component and specifications for FI will be a little different than NA, even though they may use the same company.

Start doing a little reading. Look at other B16 projects. State some examples of what you're trying to do (without E.Ts, please). Then get back to us. That way we can be more effective in giving assistance and ideas.

Please help us.....Help you... .
Old 10-21-2016, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts
Default Re: Suggestions Needed: Parts Methods to Rebuild the B16A2 to Glory

Years ago, Steve "Omni Man" built a 200 HP B16A... and he made a video. You can buy it, copy his mods, and make the same.

Omniman's 91 Octane 200whp NA B16 DVD
Old 10-21-2016, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
Years ago, Steve "Omni Man" built a 200 HP B16A... and he made a video. You can buy it, copy his mods, and make the same.

Omniman's 91 Octane 200whp NA B16 DVD
Very true... If that's his goal & Purpose. He may want "POWAA" he may want something else, ya know?
Old 10-22-2016, 01:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Ok. But again, there is no best. What you have to realize is because there are so many combinations that can possibly work, the question is really what the purpose of the car is. If it's a road race/street car, or street/strip, or just something to be clean and simple, the parts choices are going to be different for different purposes. Everything from compression, to the type of fuel used, even camshaft choice, all can have thousands of combinations., and each are best in their own way.

We don't all drive our cars the same for the same reason, but we all want the best combination for our purpose. I could easily tell you to use $900 Carillo Rods, $700 pistons, and $1500 camshafts for just a drag racing purpose. But even without Individual throttle bodies, that doesn't mean that it's the best combination that's out there, especially if it's outside any budgetary constraints. Some of that very expensive money could be used very differently, even in the way of using a different block (for higher levels of torque, and other attributes), instead of trying to find "The best" parts.

Have you taken into account what fuel you plan to use? Those require different components from the factory for any build you're considering.

Have you looked at other B16s that are similar to are put in a similar way for what you're trying to do? what other platforms are you trying to compete with? (Evolutions? Fords? Subarus? Which?)

I know this sounds like a lot to take in, and that you truly believe that your question is simple, but in all fairness, it's not an easy choice. I will say that staying with the B16 block can seriously limit your possibilities of increased power and torque (if that's your purpose), unless it possesses some type of Forced Induction. It's definitely doable, but again, the parts component and specifications for FI will be a little different than NA, even though they may use the same company.

Start doing a little reading. Look at other B16 projects. State some examples of what you're trying to do (without E.Ts, please). Then get back to us. That way we can be more effective in giving assistance and ideas.

Please help us.....Help you... .
Let's just say if money wasn't an object, and i wanted to build a B16A2 into the 200+ range that could rival a B16B in terms of higher revving and power wise, but still wanna stay within the N/A, and use it as a daily driver/ open road fury/ autocross on the weekend, what parts do i have to buy in order to achieved something like that?

Oh btw that Omniman's 91 Octane dvd looks interesting. $70 is a little too much. I might just pie rated!
Old 10-22-2016, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

Search theres tons of threads, heres a good one,

​​​​​​​https://honda-tech.com/forums/all-mo...p-b16-3007300/
Old 10-22-2016, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

Let's just say if money wasn't an object, and i wanted to build a B16A2 into the 200+ range that could rival a B16B in terms of higher revving and power wise, but still wanna stay within the N/A, and use it as a daily driver/ open road fury/ autocross on the weekend, what parts do i have to buy in order to achieved something like that?

Oh btw that Omniman's 91 Octane dvd looks interesting. $70 is a little too much. I might just pie rated!
So, money IS an object then !!! If I understand your question directly, you would prefer people give you their free "opinion" instead of investing a small amount of money for a "proven" recipe and list of parts to meet your target goal ???
Old 10-22-2016, 10:51 PM

Yeah, that's not happenin'. You don't get to download that without giving up money. And if all the tips/tricks isn't worth $70, then that tells me that the budget is lower that I originally thought.

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
So, money IS an object then !!! If I understand your question directly, you would prefer people give you their free "opinion" instead of investing a small amount of money for a "proven" recipe and list of parts to meet your target goal ???
Pretty much.... I'm tellin' ya...I keep trying to pull the info out of my man, here JRCivic, but he's just not givin' it up!! He keeps dancin' around the heart of the project, but I have faith he'll spill it...
Old 10-23-2016, 05:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

$70 is pocket change compared to the cost of rebuilding an engine, especially with better parts.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:42 AM
I like the tuna here

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OP: You're not going to get 200whp out of a B16. A few people might be able to, but you won't. I understand the fascination with keeping a "period correct" engine, I thought that about my 1990 Civic that I had a JDM B16 in. I built it like I had a CTR, but here's the thing: I didn't know how much better it could be just by going to a 1.8l. And a 2.0 is even better.

Spend all the money you want, but unless I miss my guess, you're going to be disappointed once you strap it to the dyno. It's easy to make false assumptions about people over the internet, but my gut tells me you won't even get it dyno-tuned, even IF you have the build done. It cost me $5000 to get my 1.8l to break 200whp, even if that includes the cost of the block, head, wiring harness, etc. I would say I have about $3000-$4000 in parts and tuning, not including the block and head.

You're looking at either using shitty, cheap chinese knockoff parts, or spending a lot of money to break 200whp in a 1.6. And for what? Just so you can say you've done it? Who cares? You're not the first, second, or probably even the third to to do it, IF you do it. Do it right, or not at all. 1.8-2.0 liter engine.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All great comments and feedback. My goal was to have a DD and occasional track day car. I can only say that when my (EM1) b16a2 became tired and time for a rebuild, I went the b20b route and couldn't be happier. Yes, it is expensive (5000.00 +) because you want to do it the right way. This is no exaggeration. However, I did the build in stages. I bought the block, pistons, rods from rs machines and put it in storage until the rebuild (a couple years before). Then, I slowly accumulated the parts that I liked through research and talking to people. I talked to a lot of people (mechanics, shops, b20/b16 owners) and researched the topic for about a year on different forums to get an overall plan. This research is fun and easy to become obsessed with (for me). It kind of takes ove,r in a problem solving way (e.g what are you going to do about the head, where a lot of the power is made? Mild, moderate, or wild?) You learn a lot between what is said in forums versus what is said from successful seasoned builders. In the end, you come up with a live-able, torque-y motor (158tq) and over 200hp (207hp) at the wheel that is a blast to drive. Yes, people (drag racers, builders) have made more horsepower with more extreme builds but, then again the cars are not DD and may not last as long. You always get the, 'My bro, has the same parts and made more power than you,' but you learn to ignore these as armchair/forum posts. Life goes on. Just my 2 cents...Let the flaming begin...
Old 10-23-2016, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about this idea? The only problem might be possible down time. Take the b16 block, sleeve it, and punch it out to a 1.8 or 1.9, and then rebuild it with quality parts and get some nice power and torque with the original block. I don't know if this will pass smog but, you have kind of a sleeper effect. I was thinking of going this route but, went with another block and head (more expensive).
Old 10-24-2016, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by DumpdEJ6
OP: You're not going to get 200whp out of a B16. A few people might be able to, but you won't. I understand the fascination with keeping a "period correct" engine, I thought that about my 1990 Civic that I had a JDM B16 in. I built it like I had a CTR, but here's the thing: I didn't know how much better it could be just by going to a 1.8l. And a 2.0 is even better.

Spend all the money you want, but unless I miss my guess, you're going to be disappointed once you strap it to the dyno. It's easy to make false assumptions about people over the internet, but my gut tells me you won't even get it dyno-tuned, even IF you have the build done. It cost me $5000 to get my 1.8l to break 200whp, even if that includes the cost of the block, head, wiring harness, etc. I would say I have about $3000-$4000 in parts and tuning, not including the block and head.

You're looking at either using shitty, cheap chinese knockoff parts, or spending a lot of money to break 200whp in a 1.6. And for what? Just so you can say you've done it? Who cares? You're not the first, second, or probably even the third to to do it, IF you do it. Do it right, or not at all. 1.8-2.0 liter engine.
One could build a 200whp b16 with OEM bottom end but like you say, it will not be cheap. The camshaft design, cylinder head flow and intake manifold will be the major contributors here. It will need to be revved to the moon and will be gutless under 6-7k.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought the Omniman Dvd off of ebay for $25 a few weeks ago!
Old 10-24-2016, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AllMtrRex
One could build a 200whp b16 with OEM bottom end but like you say, it will not be cheap. The camshaft design, cylinder head flow and intake manifold will be the major contributors here. It will need to be revved to the moon and will be gutless under 6-7k.
I agree! If your looking to build the "best N/A b16a2 possible" you're going to need to look into the cost/process of headwork and go from there.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:53 AM
Homosexual by choice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Currently i'm running a stock B16A2 with high mileage. I'm thinking about rebuilding it with newer better parts soon. What are some of the best parts to buy for the motor in terms of pistons, rods, cranksaft, and etc...I want the best of all the parts. Btw i want to stay within the naturally aspirated zone. No boosting. Just n/a...Thanks!
You should follow and observe my progress. I already make 192 whp and 120 ft-lbs. More to come shortly!

https://honda-tech.com/forums/all-mo...build-3287396/