Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Looking for a [particular] writeup for pressing in front wheel bearings...

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 10:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking for a [particular] writeup for pressing in front wheel bearings...and another Q

...i remember a while back that someone posted a link or was it a thread for a writeup on pressing in front wheel bearings for hondas as well as wheel studs(but i know how to do that). He showed an assortment of pictures and what sized sockets (rather large diesel sockets) to use as the recieving cup and die etc...and I cannot find the link in my favorites.

I have access to my local community college's shop press, so I'm likely going to use that. A while back i made a thread on what would be a good press to buy, but since i can use the school's i'll hold off on buying a press for now. I also dont really have the room right now.

Also a quick question: I'm going to also be replacing all the front suspension bushings in the LCA and upper control arm with new OE rubber ones; i bought new radius bushigns as well. Would it be better to drill/burn out the rubber and cut/chisel the 'outter' metal sleeve and then press in the new bushings, or would I be ok just pressing it in and out? I've heard that sometimes these bushigns dont like to come out, and that using too much force can begin to flex/distort the arm around the bushing hole. And as thin as the outter sleeve is, I figure it may be difficult to find a socket/die correctly sized to press only on the sleeve and not the inner metal part; pressing on this would only make the rubber flex, not much force going into acutally pressing the bushign in.

And for the lower ball joint, is it better to press it in or use that special tool from autozone? I seems kinda hard to get a press in there...of course the whole knuckle would be off the car...

Thanks in advance. I do have the factory helms manual. 1994 honda civic ex coupe abs, about 130k miles on stock suspension, bushigsn are shot (visible tears), front shocks are weaping but not blown, worn for sure, and the steering feels slightly loose. I got new inner and outter ends from Meyle, but i think the loose steering can be attributed to shot lca bushings.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:35 PM
.RJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Looking for a [particular] writeup for pressing in front wheel bearings...and another Q (chrisw8

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=720159 - there you go

Use a press for the bushings and the lower balljoint
Old 11-24-2005, 11:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks rj. i wonder if harbor freight sells those sockets...
Old 11-24-2005, 11:16 PM
.RJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (chrisw85)

I am pretty sure they do
Old 11-25-2005, 07:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Looking for a [particular] writeup for pressing in front wheel bearings...and another Q (chrisw8

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .RJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=720159 - there you go </TD></TR></TABLE>

Your search for bearing returned no results.
Please try different search criteria or a different data set.

OK, I searched for "bearing" in title, and Willard as creator, archived content (and recent content).

Wha'd you do different .RJ?